Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Sexton
United States
Pikeville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good lord I'm dying to know. I can't wrap my brain around what it could be.

My only guess is ghostbusters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Cram
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmb
spillz606 wrote:
Good lord I'm dying to know. I can't wrap my brain around what it could be.

My only guess is ghostbusters

I'm still hoping for Plants vs. Zombies. But it'll probably be TMNT or GI Joe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I thought we decided it can't be G.I. Joe.

EDIT: I don't think Plants vs. Zombies is that crazy of a guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Miller

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DiggetyDog46 wrote:

Yup, can't be G.I.Joe. TMNT seems like the obvious, most likely choice. I can't see UDE releasing something that wouldn't be guaranteed money, which I think it's safe to say, is the category PvZ would fall in to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OrionPax21 wrote:
Yup, can't be G.I.Joe.

What's the rationale that eliminated that possibility?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
G.I. Joe is a Hasbro License, it does not make much sense for them to license the IP out. If they wanted a G.I. Joe deck builder they would publish it themselves.

That's also a reason why I think the TMNT are looking pretty good; as far as I know, since the rights were bought by Nickelodeon, no boardgames were produced, and they are abviously on a push with the Turtles with the cartoon, the IDW comic (and the reprints of the classic comics), the upcoming movie and video game... if UDE approached them, I think there is a good chance that they could work out a deal. However, I believe Brenzor said at some point that it wasn't a franchise comics fans would expect, and as soon as the hint was "green" that was the conclusion most people jumped to...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's not that GI Joe is an impossibility, just that people don't believe that's what it's going to be.

Hasbro's licensed the property out numerous times - to Marvel, Devil's Due, and currently to IDW and Sideshow. The live-action movies were produced through Spyglass, and Hasbro's licensed the rights to numerous video game studios.

So to say that there's not much sense to license it out is silly, given their history of licensing GI Joe to just about everyone.

Not to mention that Hasbro manufactures the Marvel toys - the licensing agreement extends until 2017, currently. The two companies have a longstanding business relationship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference being that as far as I know, Hasbro does not produce comics, movies, or video games - they do produce board games (through Wizards of the Coast, Parker Brothers, Milton Bradley and others). If you search BGG for G.I.Joe, you'll see that previous board and card games have been released through just these companies.

Is it impossible? No. However, I think that it's highly, highly improbable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Miller

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Knobbly, I've gotten sick of having to explain licensing to people.

Not to mention the last G.I. Joe game produced by WotC was one of the biggest flops in the companies history, and Devin Low was on that design team (not that I'm saying it was his fault). Hasbro is pretty protective of their big properties, and given how the business works, I find it hard to believe they'd give the franchise to a guy who left for another company. Not to mention a company with a horrible, horrible gaming history (though Legendary is single-handedly rebuilding that brick by brick).

Basically, it's about as likely as Disney licensing out a Mickey Mouse cartoon to Nickelodeon. That's not to say I wouldn't kill to get G.I. Joe and Transformers in Legendary though, as I'm a ginormous fanboy of both franchises, and Legendary is arguably the best deck-building game on the market (in my opinion, its not really even arguable).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
OrionPax21 wrote:
DiggetyDog46 wrote:

Yup, can't be G.I.Joe. TMNT seems like the obvious, most likely choice. I can't see UDE releasing something that wouldn't be guaranteed money, which I think it's safe to say, is the category PvZ would fall in to.

what !

i would TOTALLY buy a Plants vs Zombies legendary deckbuilder game.

TMNT on the other hand, please, piffft. not buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OrionPax21 wrote:
Thank you Knobbly, I've gotten sick of having to explain licensing to people.

You haven't explained anything. Hasbro has licensed GI Joe to many many companies, and has a longstanding relationship with Marvel.

You've said that it's an impossibility, then moved the goalposts by saying that it's unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fazeo Faz
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are there even enough characters for a TMNT deck builder? I still think GI. Joe is a possibility and would lend itself well to the deck building format. Plants VS Zombies I could see as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
Hasbro has licensed GI Joe to many many companies,

All of which create products that Hasbro does not produce itself.

Board games are a core part of Hasbro's business. They have not licensed out the G.I. Joe franchise for a board or card game since 1982 (before their acquisition of various board game companies) except for USAopoly, a company which as far as I can tell exists only to produce the dozens of Monopoly variants for Hasbro [This information is based on cursory research on boardgamegeek. If this is erroneous, please show where I am wrong]. Do you have examples for Hasbro licensing out their IPs for a board or card game? Preferably recently, say in the last 10 years?

EitherOrlok wrote:
and has a longstanding relationship with Marvel.

This probably has no bearing whatsoever on any contracts involving Legendary. You have to distinguish between Legendary, the game system owned by Upper Deck, and the Marvel comics IP. Marvel gave UDE the rights to use their characters with the Legendary game system. Unless they have a clause in the licensing agreement specifically giving them a veto, they have no control over which other IPs can be used for Legendary. How likely is it that there is such a clause? It certainly does not seem to be an industry standard, and I am pretty sure that either Devin or Brenzor mentioned before that Legendary was designed to be modular and allow for different IPs, which would make it strange if they gave Marvel that power.

With that in mind, any negotiations would have to be between Hasbro and Upper Deck, the business relationship between Marvel and Hasbro does not enter into it.

EitherOrlok wrote:
You've said that it's an impossibility, then moved the goalposts by saying that it's unlikely.

Well, first of all, to be fair, you are arguing with two different people. It was Gil who said it can't be G.I. Joe, and me who just called it very, very unlikely. I would also say that it is not impossible that tomorrow, we will get an announcement that Disney has released all it's IPs into the public domain, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.

I hope this shows you why the arguments you have brought in favour of it being G.I. Joe do not apply, and why pretty much all the information we have speaks against it. If not, I unfortunately do not know what more to say.

That being said, I am not in any of the boardrooms where these decisions are made, and I am not a lawyer ot copyright expert. I am only an interested lay person. If you can show me where I am demonstrably wrong in anything I wrote, go ahead; but I do not feel that you have done so in your posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am coming in blind to this. Is there some announcement forthcoming of an alternate license featuring the color green???

While on topic of alternate licensing and Hasbro, I'd love to see a Transformers retheme. If for no other reason my son would want to play this game with me far more often. He doesn't dig super heroes but is a crazy transformers fanatic. I'd probably prefer robots over super heroes myself. Tons of rich Transformer characters and history to draw from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually hope it's GI Joe just because I hope that leads to a future Transformers edition. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

GI Joe... maybe.
TNMT... no thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Selurevad wrote:
I am coming in blind to this. Is there some announcement forthcoming of an alternate license featuring the color green???

Yes, look at this video (if the Youtube timecode didn't work: at about minute 23), I think the only further information that was released was that it is not Shrek

Looking at the slide again, I feel the TMNT are less likely than I wrote in my first post, it clearly states that the new IP is "non comic based".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks! Included a screen cap here for others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
I actually hope it's GI Joe just because I hope that leads to a future Transformers edition. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

GI Joe... maybe.
TNMT... no thanks.

I'm right there with you. No interest in TMNT. Definitely no interest in Plants vs Zombies either. I just don't see how there could possibly be enough content in the P&Z universe to release a 560 card game like this that is worthy of UD or Legendary. And while you could mix say GI Joe or other licenses with the Marvel license game and have sort of universe mashup scenario, I don't think there is anyone looking to mashup Marvel with P&Z. I'm perplexed how it ever became a rumored candidate. They of course want all the Legendary fans to buy the new licensed product. I would think they would pick a license that makes some sense to consider mixing into the Marvel universe. P&Z certainly wouldn't be that. I hope there is no merit too it. I think they would be harming their own brand with a P&Z release. Its too soon for Legendary to jump the shark. Give us at least 3 expansions before you just the shark, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You're discounting the possibility it was the license-holder that approached UDE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Dobbs
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wait! I thought it was Man-Thing. Dagnabbit! Now I'm disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobblySavage wrote:
Well, first of all, to be fair, you are arguing with two different people. It was Gil who said it can't be G.I. Joe, and me who just called it very, very unlikely.

No, he also said it would be unlikely after saying it wouldn't happen at all.

Quote:
I hope this shows you why the arguments you have brought in favour of it being G.I. Joe do not apply, and why pretty much all the information we have speaks against it. If not, I unfortunately do not know what more to say.

My argument is that to say "it won't happen" without any evidence to back that up is premature, and every argument presented for why it's unlikely flies in the face of past marketing arrangements made by Hasbro, who have shown that they'll license the IP out to just about anyone.

RE: Hasbro making games. I agree that they've had a long history of making spectacularly bad games with the GI Joe IP. It's not likely they made much money on any of them. Licensing the IP makes more sense given that history, because it's all profit for Hasbro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobblySavage wrote:
Do you have examples for Hasbro licensing out their IPs for a board or card game? Preferably recently, say in the last 10 years?

They licensed out WotC's Netrunner to FFG, which was rebranded as Android: Netrunner, as well as Avalon Hill's Merchant of Venus (also to FFG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
KnobblySavage wrote:
Do you have examples for Hasbro licensing out their IPs for a board or card game? Preferably recently, say in the last 10 years?

They licensed out WotC's Netrunner to FFG, which was rebranded as Android: Netrunner, as well as Avalon Hill's Merchant of Venus (also to FFG).

Thank you, that was what I was looking for, and if you saw my snarky response to your previous post which I have since deleted, I apologize.

I still feel that the situation is different, since both the Netrunner game system and Merchant of Venus were properties with which Hasbro had done nothing in a long time, while G.I. Joe as an IP is in the public eye.

But I asked you to produce evidence of Hasbro licensing out board games, and you did, I stand corrected in that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
KnobblySavage wrote:

Just doing a search on BGG I can see Transformers has been licensed to both Milton Bradley and WoTC at a quick glance in the last decade.

If you do a search on google

"toyline that features neon green"

Check out that first hit.

I know it means nothing, I don't even know if that color of green is "neon green" I'm just trying to figure out where that green color came from. It doesn't scream TMNJ or GI Joe green to me. But they do seem to be good guesses if nothing else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Selurevad wrote:

Just doing a search on BGG I can see Transformers has been licensed to both Milton Bradley and WoTC at a quick glance in the last decade.

Actually, MB was bought by Hasbro in 1984, WotC in 1999 - so those were not licensed out, they are part of the Hasbro family
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.