Subject: Un-stoppable A's rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Takacs

San Clemente
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I missing something? It seems a stack of A morale units with a 4 Morale leader is almost unstoppable. Only it's 6 MPs stop the stack. A large A morale stack with a +4 Leader could charge as many as 6 stacks in a turn! The Closing Roll Table won't stop it. Opening Volley won't stop it (probably 1 or less SP losses and low chance for leader casualty) and Defender Morale checks don't effect the attacker.

With +6 Morale Modifiers (+2 for Lots Bigger & +4 for attacking Leaders Morale), there is a good chance the Defender will retreat and allow the A Stack to continue its Charge.

P.S. the -3 Closing Roll modifier only effects the first charge if the stack starts adjacent to its first charge (not any subsequent charges during the turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
The leader's death will slow it down. This was common in the American Civil war and is also common in this series of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
S Lee T wrote:
A large A morale stack with a +4 Leader could charge as many as 6 stacks in a turn!

Well, sort of ... since the charging stack has to continue through its front / center hexside, it is not likely to find six units sitting one behind the other for this to become a cascade.

Our experience is that "A" units are powerful, but not that plentiful. And, since the "A" unit is going to get shot up (it's on top, so it has to take some hits) they tend to wear down as the battle wears on.

We had this in "None but Heroes" ... the early AM in the Cornfield was quite heroic, with "A" units leading the charges and jumping into gaps to save the day. But, as the day progressed they became smaller and smaller, some wrecked, etc. Finally, but mid / late afternoon we had a bunch of wrecked 1 and 2 SP "A" units lurking in the back of the battle, hoping desperately for nightfall!

Also, the unit might be willing but the corps may be weak. Even the most determined juggernaut will screech to a halt if the corps gets a fluke stoppage.

And, leader loss is another factor worth reinforcing. They drop like flies. And, then you not only don't have the bonus, but you are saddled with a sub-par commander for your formations. This will screw you up on a much grander scale.

My advice: don't sweat the "A" units as "invunerable" ... they are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Takacs

San Clemente
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for responding. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing something wrong. If the few A units were able to charge that far , they eventually would be overwhelmed anyway.

FYI seems more action is at CSW, but they don't seem to want to provide me with access.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.