Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THE BUG

1) Updated Games emails. According to these "Updated Games" emails, there hasn't been an article posted for ANY of the games on my 'watch' list, since Friday at 12noon (which is doubtful, since I have nearly 2000 game titles I 'watch'). Why is this? Is it related to the changeover in forums?

This is especially bad, for a variety of reasons, as I rely on the Updated Games emails to get the information. I had gone through the entire database once (took me 2 months), and since then, I've relied upon Updated Information. Now, I've lost three days (which is quite troubling -- trying to determine how the best way to fix this is. Is there any way to determine exactly when the bug started? And, how quickly can it be rectified. Will the Updated Games email that finally restarts this contain all the missed articles?

THE REQUESTS

2) While we're on the Updated Games emails, I'd like to -- once again -- mention my request from last September...that users be allowed to specify exactly the content they'd like delivered to their mailboxes. Example-- I DON'T want image comments, strategy articles, etc.; I DO want variants, rules questions, files and links.

Of course, if my option is to get NOTHING or EVERYTHING (see point #1), I'd prefer to get everything; but I'm hoping that's a bug, and that -- in fact -- this feature request (point #2) CAN be instituted.

3) Re: the Game Page layout...unless I missed it, I never saw if it was possible to allow the user to customize the page into two columns or one. For me, personally, I liked the 2-column layout. I see others preferred the 1-column layout. With the new emphasis on user customization, I'd think this would be a no-brainer...let the user decide.

4) I still don't see any place to browse session reports by group -- e.g., I can't see ALL the games my group played on a given date. This was in the previous incarnation of BGG, and I'd love to see it return.

5) I would love to see "My Collection" have another filter for "Wishlist" -- just adding another column for the wish rating. It makes more sense (for people like me, who don't list games as 'want' but rather as 'wish' so we're not inundated with trade requests) to STILL be able to access those games they'd like to acquire through their My Collection interface, as compared to the separate list.

I suppose one could also just denote BOTH wish and want, and continue to ignore the trade requests; but that doesn't seem in keeping with the intent of the checkboxes; therefore, it seems more prudent to allow the user to access both the games he owns AND the game he wants to own, through the same interface.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How in the world do you keep track of all the emails from 2,000 Updated Games?

I use the RSS feeds to view this information in Bloglines. Unfortunately, the direct link to the game RSS feed disappeared with the update, but you can still get to it:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/gamexml/####

where #### is the game id, e.g.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/gamexml/986

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| Scott Kinzie |
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been getting updated games emails either, although I am getting specific thread subscription emails. I remember this happening once before and Aldie had to reset something in the code. HELP, Aldie!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I'm on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris,

It's a struggle, but I do it.

Basically, I started with Game 1, and I went through every game in the database -- took me over a year. Each time I hit a game, I marked it in my collection and/or whether I wanted (ahem...'wished') to own it. I downloaded any files/links/articles at that time, then set the Updated Games emails to keep track of things.

For a long time now, it's worked fine. But, now, as I mentioned, there hasn't been an article included in Updated Games since Friday -- I'm hoping there's a way to receive all the missing articles in one email after Aldie fixes the problem...otherwise, all my work is undone (and, when I started going through the database, there were fewer than 10k games -- now, there's more than 22k -- it'd be much more difficult to do...in fact, I know I couldn't).

This is why I also requested having the ability to specify the content desired only. It would cut down dramatically on my time investment, if I didn't have to look at image comments, session reports, etc., as part of the Updated Games email (since they all come in under the vague title of "Article").

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
I'm on it.

Thanks Scott!

I wasn't sure if you'd gotten the email I'd sent. Hopefully this problem can be remedied quickly, and all the articles that weren't sent with Updated Games (since Friday afternoon) can be resent (although that will be one GIANT Updated Games email...I'm not looking forward to that!)

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| Scott Kinzie |
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
I'm on it.

ALDIE: Don't know if this helps, but as far as my account is concerned, I AM getting email updates for links, images and files... but nothing from from the game specific forums (reviews, rules, variants, etc.). The problem seems to be isolated there. Thanks for looking into this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DenverWolf wrote:
Aldie wrote:
I'm on it.

ALDIE: Don't know if this helps, but as far as my account is concerned, I AM getting email updates for links, images and files... but nothing from from the game specific forums (reviews, rules, variants, etc.). The problem seems to be isolated there. Thanks for looking into this!

Right - same with me, Scott (same with everyone, I'm sure)....

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank,

You ARE getting articles in your Updated Games emails? I'm only getting files, links and images (and games for sale, but that's a different control, anyways).

But, you're actually getting session reports, reviews, variants, rules questions????

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| Scott Kinzie |
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yee-Haw! My game articles update emails are working, now!

THANK YOU ALDIE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes...mine too!

But....how do we get all the articles we missed????

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| Scott Kinzie |
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the games forum on the front page and looked back until I saw an article I remembered reading before. Then, simply read forward from there all the articles I was interested in. It took a some time, but I'm all caught up now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time consuming - but i got through it. Thanks for the idea!

Now, if I can just get my feature requests through, I'll be contented finally (and I'll free up a TON of time)...

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.