Popular Tags: [View All]
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an idea that literally popped into my head while contemplating xlorp's Uncle Joker avatar and badge.

Batman Vs. Joker pits the famous hero against his arch-nemesis, who has created several clones (clowns? hahahaha) of himself to frustrate and fool the caped crusader. With the citizens of Gotham City in the crossfire, the battle will be deadly indeed.

In this game there will be the following roles:

Joker - There is one, and only one, real Joker, who acts as the wolf. He makes a kill each night, and MUST make a kill each night - if he doesn't submit an order, one person will be killed at random instead. However, the Joker does NOT want to kill Batman except as his LAST kill of the game (if it comes to that). If the Joker attacks Batman before all other good citizens (including Barb Gordon and Robin) are gone, Batman will beat the stuffing out of the Joker and send him back to Arkham asylum.

In addition, the Joker has three single-use views that may be used at any time during the game. How and when the Joker chooses to use these is entirely up to him/her. The views may be one of the following:

A. Is Player X Batman? - Target a player, learn if he/she is or is not Batman.
B. Is Player X a Citizen? - Target a player, learn if he/she is a citizen (false clones are citizens as well) or not (any other special role).
C. Locate 1 Clone - Ask for the identity of one clone.

The Joker can ask all of these or one of these three times, or any such combination. Only one "view" may be used per night. The view is processed prior to the kill.

3-4 Clone Jokers - Each clone joker is essentially a "traitor" role. Each clone will know the identity of the real Joker, but will not know the identities of any other clones. Clones will appear to the seer as "Joker" only. Clones win with the Joker, even if they have been lynched or killed. Clones do not count as "good citizens" that the Joker needs to kill.

Catwoman - Catwoman is never predictable. Catwoman begins the game knowing who the Joker is, and wins if the Joker wins. However, Catwoman can ALSO win if the Joker attacks Batman before killing off the other citizens (that is, she wins because Batman wins). Catwoman loses if the Joker is lynched. Catwoman appears as "Not Joker" to the seer. Once per game, Catwoman is permitted to redirect one lynch from the top vote-receiver to the second-highest vote-receiver. This is done publicly, so it will reveal Catwoman to the group, and it will automatically stop further lynch votes from being counted.

4-7 Ordinary Citizens - These are the vanillagers. Like Batman, they want to get the real Joker before he can kill them all off.

1-2 "False Jokers" - There may be one or two of the ordinary citizens that, because of the diabolic nature of the Joker's plan, appear to the seer mistakenly as "The Joker". However, they count as "good citizens" that the Joker needs to kill before killing Batman, and they win with the rest of the good players.

Barbara Gordon - The Commissioner's daughter (secretly Batgirl) is the seer role. The seer views a person each night to see if that person is "The Joker" or "Not the Joker". Barbara Gordon counts as a "good citizen" for victory purposes. For Night 0, Barbara Gordon is given a random seer vision of another player.

Robin - Robin investigates the true identities of those that have been lynched or killed. Each night he may learn the real identity of one lynched/killed player. Clones appear as "Clone", all citizens appear as "Citizen" even if they are false jokers, and so on. Robin counts as a "good citizen" for victory purposes.

Batman - The main man. Batman is both a bodyguard and a "reverse hunter". Each night Batman may target any player to protect. If the Joker targets that player, then that player is saved. (However, Batman may not protect the same person on consecutive nights.) In addition, Batman wants to force a showdown with the Joker before all the good citizens (including Gordon and Robin) are killed off. If the Joker targets Batman at night, Batman captures the Joker and the game ends with a good win. If the Joker manages to kill off the good citizens without killing Batman in the process, then the Joker and his allies win.

The Game Ends when:

1) Joker attacks Batman at night, and at least one other non-clone player (not counting Catwoman) is still in the game. Batman captures the Joker, and sends him back to Arkham. Win for Good.

2) Joker is lynched successfully. Win for Good.

3) At day, only Batman is left with the Joker and clones - no non-clones remain in the game other than Joker, Batman, Catwoman. Win for Evil.

4) At day, the Joker plus the number of remaining clones (and Catwoman) is greater than the number of non-clones remaining and Batman is dead, as it is impossible to lynch the Joker in this situation. Win for Evil.

Space: 13-15 players.

Lynch time: 2 PM BGG time each day. A lynch MUST occur each day. If players fail to vote for anyone to be lynched, the moderator chooses one person at random to be lynched instead.

Start: March 13

1. Beowulf
2. Munchwolf
3. ptper
4. CapAp
5. arkibet
6. kuchick
7. bwt2q
8. dalestephenson
9. slyde
10. Denise
11. Noaceyet
12. jmilum
13. Gregarius
14. Rostok
15. RoyalFlush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Werewolf: Batman Vs. Joker -- An Experimental Game
I've been thinking a superhero themed game might be neat ...

it would probably run like battle of the sexs (legion of doom vs justice league).

Anyway .. for this game ... hmmm. Everyone would claim to be batman then (at least all the villagers), so the joker wouldn't know who to target ...

oh .. except batman .. who would claim to be commissioner gordon ... just to get the joker to try to kill him ...

hmmm

this could be an interesting game.

it would make more sense to have Barbara Gordon be the seer ... and Batman not able to save her from the Joker

-Munch "revealing my comic book geekness factor" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I was trying to think of what tactics might people employ in this game.

I put in the rule about Batman not being able to save Gordon because I realized that if Gordon came out and revealed, then Batman need do nothing but save Gordon every night until the Joker runs out of people to kill, at which point it's Batman and Gordon against the Joker, Joker automatically loses. Joker has to have a way to kill Gordon if Gordon reveals.

Interesting thought that everyone else would claim to be Batman. You're right... they probably would. Even the Joker would.

Not sure that needs to be amended with any rules tinkering. Because if everyone claims to be Batman, then that's the same as if no one claimed to be Batman. If several people claim to be Batman but others don't, then you encounter a lynch quandary. Either you don't lynch someone claiming to be Batman (which might mean you lynch the real Batman), or you lynch anyone claiming to be Batman (which might be the same thing). But if everyone in danger of lynch says "Don't lynch me, I'm Batman" then eventually everyone will end up claiming to be Batman, and then the group ends up being forced to lynch someone who has claimed to be Batman.

That WOULD have to be a rules amendment - there MUST be a lynch every day. Because Batman can win the game for good if the Joker attacks him, one tactic might be to simply never hold a lynch, and thus you simply bide time till the Joker makes a mistake. Can't have that - every day there must be a lynch, or else the moderator chooses one person at random to be lynched. (Conversely, the Joker MUST kill each night, otherwise the moderator chooses a target at random for him.)

One other thing does need to be clarified. The citizens can win, of course, if they lynch the real Joker at any time in the game. It doesn't matter in this case whether Batman is alive or has been lynched. Lynching Batman does NOT mean the Joker wins, but it sure makes his job a lot easier if that happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine von Xlorp
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Sly like a duck
badge
Try the biscuits
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the Batman! See what a divine cape I've got!
I promise no one will maniacally rend you limb from limb tonight, dear citizen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mbmb
When this finally goes live, sign. Me. Up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I NEED to run simpler games like this. Sooooo much less strain on me. More on the players though. hehehehehe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beowulf wrote:
When this finally goes live, sign. Me. Up.

Okay, well then let's get crackin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Werewolf: Batman Vs. Joker -- Let's Sign Up Already!
I think I like this ruleset the way it is. 13 people will get the game going, but I'll take up to 15 if people are interested.

This should not be a terribly complicated game. But it will probably be a bluff-heavy game, given the set-up. We shall see how it works out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would anyone object if I titled this game "Batman Vs. Joker - Attack of the Clowns"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sign me up too

-Munch "I object to the title ... I think it should be Tutti-fruity Banana Palooza hour with Olly" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I should just name the game "Bob".

Then next year I can win an award for "Bob."

Best writing? Bob. Best theme? Bob of course. Best game? Bob again! Best roleplayer? Bob Bobson in the Bob game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Goodall
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, i'm in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
This game needs a Captain America role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine von Xlorp
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Sly like a duck
badge
Try the biscuits
mbmbmbmbmb
How could I not play? It may be Werewolf's all-time easiest metagame first day lynch ever!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xlorp wrote:
How could I not play? It may be Werewolf's all-time easiest metagame first day lynch ever!

Just for irony's sake, I'll make you Robin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:

YOU can run the Captain America game. I don't really know much about the Captain except that he was created around WWII primarily as a propaganda hero to promote patriotism.

Are you in? I have you down as in, just want to make sure the lynch time works for ya.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Fabulous
United States
Hillsborough/Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to join.. I want to see xlorp in action here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuchick wrote:
I have to join.. I want to see xlorp in action here!

Welcome. I'm sorry I don't have a "catwoman" role here for you, but I'm sure you'll do just fine otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
mbmb
xlorp wrote:

Good! No hard feelings, then. Glad we had this chat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Valvard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Spread the conFUDsion wherever you can...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance of a role as Penguin?

And I always saw kuchick as more of a Poison Ivy role, myself...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
kimapesan wrote:
CapAp wrote:

YOU can run the Captain America game. I don't really know much about the Captain except that he was created around WWII primarily as a propaganda hero to promote patriotism.

Are you in? I have you down as in, just want to make sure the lynch time works for ya.

It's up to you. I'm joining an awful lot of games that I can only play half-assedly because I can't be around at lynch. So if you want half of the Captain's ass in your game, then sign me up, but if the queue is overflowing (as I think it will), let somebody else more able to play take my spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine von Xlorp
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Sly like a duck
badge
Try the biscuits
mbmbmbmbmb
kimapesan wrote:
xlorp wrote:

Just for irony's sake, I'll make you Robin.

It's just not a complete day in Gotham without an appearance by the Boy Hostage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
xlorp wrote:
It's just not a complete day in Gotham without an appearance by the Boy Hostage!

Death in the Family

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Javal wrote:
Any chance of a role as Penguin?

And I always saw kuchick as more of a Poison Ivy role, myself...

I've thought of adding in an auxilliary villain, in place of the "special clone". I thought actually of including a Catwoman role - she would a) know who the Joker is, and would win with the Joker in most circumstances b) would appear to the seear as "Not the Joker", obviously, c) would also WIN with Batman and citizens IF the Joker gets caught by Batman at night - that is, if the Joker attacks Batman before getting rid of the other citizens, but LOSES if the Joker gets lynched d) would LOSE if Batman gets lynched before the Joker is caught.

She might also have the ability, once in game, to redirect a lynch from the top vote-getter to the second-place vote-getter instead. She can be very persuasive, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I'm in!

I think, though, that there needs to be some clue of who Batman is - perhaps an evil seer? Otherwise, Batman acts just like a normal villager, and the whole game comes down to a big crapshoot, with not very good odds for the Joker.

Also, I think naming the game "Bob" is an excellent idea. When nominations are discussed next year, everyone will say "What about Bob?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.