Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIDER-MAN

This version is more of a jack-of-all-trades with a bystander and MK Team focus.

Affiliation: MK

Common 1

“Thwip!”
Rarity - Common
Hero Class - Tech
Cost - 2
Attack – 1
Recruitment – 0
Effect:
Rescue a Bystander under a Villain.

(Marvel Knight): Rescue a Bystander.

Explanation: Webs away the hostage and the would-be hostage too! Villains should get annoyed...

Common 2
“Spider Sense”
Rarity - Common
Hero Class - Instinct
Cost - 3
Attack – 0
Recruitment – 2
Effect:
You may reveal this card to ignore an Ambush effect.

If this is the first card you played this turn, you may look at the top 2 cards of your deck, draw one and discard the other.

Explanation: If he listens to his spider sense, he should be better prepared. Villains will have a tough time catching him flat-footed.

Uncommon
“Spider’s Strength”
Rarity - Uncommon
Hero Class - Strength
Cost - 5
Attack – 3
Recruitment – 0
Effect:
Villains on the Rooftops or Streets get -1 Attack this turn.

(Marvel Knight): You get +1 Attack for each card you’ve played this turn that costs 1, 2 or 3.

Explanation: He has the proportionate Strength of a Spider, so any low-cost cards are stronger than their face value.

His best work is also done near tall buildings, so any Villain marauding the Streets or the Rooftops should know they are in the Spider's lair.

Rare

“New York’s Number One Hero”
Rarity - Rare
Hero Class - Strength
Cost - 7
Attack – 5
Recruitment – 0
Effect:
For each Villain in the City, draw a card.

If there are fewer than two Villains in the city, you get +2 Attack.

Whenever you defeat a Villain this turn, you may rescue a Bystander.

Edit: Made the rare more useful in case of fewer villains.

Explanation: His indomitable will lends him strength when none should remain. The more you throw at him, the more resolve and power he musters, and he'll always protect New York.

The title of the rare could also be "New York's Best", "New York's Finest" "Hero of New York" or whatever you can come up that sounds better.

Whatcha think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sexton
United States
Pikeville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

That is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Turner
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the artwork for the rare have an incredulous JJJ in the background? Maybe a Daily Bugle with a headline about a certain "Menace to society"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
“Thwip!”

or

“Spider Sense”

“Spider’s Strength”
Due to a lack of high quality images of spider-man "hulking out":
(Where is the time Spidey had to support a whole building while almost drowning because of some doc oc scheme...)

Danishdonut wrote:
Can the artwork for the rare have an incredulous JJJ in the background? Maybe a Daily Bugle with a headline about a certain "Menace to society"?

I automatically had to think back to this one:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of my faves even if it looks cropped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derare wrote:

You son of a ****! Amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rimgar
msg tools
mb
Sorry for not being around for awhile :WARNING: CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM AHEAD!

Mostly I think many of the effects are just too busy. Most legendary cards have 1 or 2 effects, and to me, there's just so much going on. I realize that this is a trap with creating so many characters with extensive, but still finite game mechanics.

Thwip! This is a perfect example of plenty of effects, with attack and 2 effects (which by the way I think could be reworded to "rescue a captured bystander") Firstly, giving the potential of so many free victory points in a common? It's iffy, especially for such a low cost. I'd almost prefer it as an equivalent to Jean Grey's common for Marvel Knights, but with the 2 cost of course.

Spider-Sense: Good idea, but again, it may be too strong for a common, and there's so many effects going on at once. Maybe drop the first one, or the recruit. In any case, 2 additional effects throws off the 3 to 2 ratio in most purchase cards of that value. Still, the first card limitation does keep it somewhat in check, and I love the effect.

Spider's Strength: Again over powered, this does everything Sai Blades does for cheaper cost and more. Maybe something more along the lines of "pick a number. Gain +1 attack for each card of that cost." Great idea though.

Rare: Way too much going on. To be honest the attack and the first effect alone is worthy of a Rare. (as is the third most likely) If there's an empty city, so what? It's still attack potential, and not every card is useful every time. The third effect is represented pretty well by Jean's rare anyway.

Sorry, late night and not thinking clearly, and as always ignore me if you choose. these were just my instincts at first glance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I agree. I love the artwork you found up above, but I'm not crazy about any of these card effects. "Too busy" is a good description. I might go so far as to say "too powerful". In general, I'd say pick one of the effects you've listed for each of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the lack of responses...I was taking a break.

Thanks for your comments, but geez, be quicker next time! cool

Let's see what I can do:

“Thwip!”
Rarity - Common
Hero Class - Tech
Cost - 2
Attack – 1
Recruitment – 0
Effect:
(Marvel Knight): Rescue a captured Bystander. Otherwise, rescue a Bystander.

Changes: A triggered bystander rescue that checks first for captured ones.

“Spider Sense”
Rarity - Common
Hero Class - Instinct
Cost - 2
Attack – 0
Recruitment – 0
Effect:
You may reveal this card to ignore an Ambush effect.

If this is the first card you played this turn, you may look at the top 2 cards of your deck, draw one and discard the other.

Changes: Dropped the recruit points and the cost. Now this is like a version of Gambit's "Stack the Deck".

“Spider’s Strength”
Rarity - Uncommon
Hero Class - Strength
Cost - 5
Attack – 2
Recruitment – 0
Effect:
Whenever you defeat a Villain in the Rooftops or the Streets this turn, draw a card.

(Marvel Knight): You get +1 ATTACK for each Hero you played this turn that costs 2 RECRUIT.

Changes: To be frank, I haven't played enough with Elektra, that it didn't even register with me that this effect had already been done.

Anyway, I dropped the attack, changed the rooftops/streets effect to be a slightly weaker version of Blade's "Nowhere to Hide" and nerfed the Sai Blades effect to check for only cost-2 Heroes. There's a difference also in that Sai Blades requires no trigger and this card does.

Rarity - Rare
Hero Class - Strength
Cost - 8
Attack – 5
Recruitment – 0
Effect:
For each Villain in the City, draw a card.

Changes: Streamlined it. Wow, it looks simple and elegant! Haha!
I hope people don't mind drawing it on an empty city.

Thanks again for all constructive criticism and please tell me if it's better now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much better. The only one I'd say needs more work is "Spider's Strength". That one still seems a little too busy to me. I'd probably make it 3 or 4 attack and drop the Marvel Knights effect or keep the MK effect and 2 attack and drop the "whenever" effect. But that's just me. As always, you should make the card you want to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rimgar
msg tools
mb
Honestly I disagree. With no recruit or attack power (and especially the threat of being drawn in multiples) if anything it's underpowered now.

Edit: Oh, strength, not sense. *facepalm* Yeah nevermind. Still, I disagree. Everything looks fine now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think the cards look good like this. I'll be tinkering on them and will put them online shortly.

I just compared the uncommon with that of Blade and I like the trade-off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished this one up. Cards are on display in this topic: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13478395#13478395
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derare wrote:
Finished this one up. Cards are on display in this topic: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13478395#13478395

Awesome!!! Thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are indeed awesome! A lot more thematic than the originals

The only change I would make is with Spider Sense. I would make the first effect to read:
You may reveal this card to ignore an Ambush effect that causes you to discard cards or gain a wound.

This keeps Spidey alert to avoid damage but does not stop the other Ambush effects (like on the Skrulls) as it is a common card. It also keeps the "anti-Ambush" effect of Invisible Woman's Invisible Barrier still worth it as a rare.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Droideka_D84 wrote:
These are indeed awesome! A lot more thematic than the originals

The only change I would make is with Spider Sense. I would make the first effect to read:
You may reveal this card to ignore an Ambush effect that causes you to discard cards or gain a wound.

This keeps Spidey alert to avoid damage but does not stop the other Ambush effects (like on the Skrulls) as it is a common card. It also keeps the "anti-Ambush" effect of Invisible Woman's Invisible Barrier still worth it as a rare.

Thanks

Thanks for the kind words!

I'll see if I can playtest him around. There was no Wallcrawling back when I made him either. Or Dodge. So many new mechanics for the low-cost Heroes to abuse of...haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.