Popular Tags: rss [+] [View All]
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you please add back the link to the full-game RSS feeds on each game page? Even better would be to add the "subscribe bloglines" link.

In the meantime, there is a workaround. You can manually create the feed link as:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/gamexml/####

where #### is the game id, e.g.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/gamexml/986

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed this too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you can create a link and look at the RSS feed, but the feeds haven't been updated since around 2/16/2006.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On Bloglines, I show some feeds updated as recently as yesterday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen updates from individual game RSS feeds in quite some time. I would be really nice to see an official response to this, as a lot of us get updates to this site more or less exclusively through RSS. Individual game feeds are a nice way to filter out all the postings to games we don't care about. I can say that for me personally the game RSS feeds are a huge draw to the site.

So the question is, are they going to be fixed or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I am currently evaluating whether or not RSS feeds are worthwhile for the site. They benefit so few people, and now I'm seeing BlogLines using up 8GB in bandwidth this week alone. I guess this is because more and more games are added to their list, and they update once an hour x 2000 feeds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
I am currently evaluating whether or not RSS feeds are worthwhile for the site. They benefit so few people, and now I'm seeing BlogLines using up 8GB in bandwidth this week alone. I guess this is because more and more games are added to their list, and they update once an hour x 2000 feeds.

A proper RSS reader should be sending the If-Modified-Since header. If there have been no updates since the given date, then you can send a 'Not Modified 304' response and that is all that is needed. That should really cut down on the bandwidth.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I'll look into that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game RSS feeds have been a godsend for me. I used to get the "game update" geekmails and they were a royal pain to keep up with, since they mixed up all the games. The game feeds are nicely sorted by game in Bloglines. I really hope you manage to figure them out, because without them it's entirely impossible for me to keep up with discussions on the ~200 games that interest me.

Also, if you think Bloglines is hitting you now, wait until all of us add 6 feeds per game instead of 1 -- I'd be strongly tempted to add each individual forum feed for each of my games... to stop Bloglines, you'd have to turn off all RSS. It would be much better to figure out the "no updates" thing that was mentioned above.

Another thing to look into is only sending the smallest image thumbnails with the feeds, instead of full or medium size images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The RSS feeds also contain a huge amount of data - full review text, etc. They also seem to contain a fairly long history. You might trim the content some if it would mean the difference between keeping them around and not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ginn
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you decide to permanently shutdown the RSS feeds, a module that we could use to create subscriptions to content we're most interested in would be most appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
An RSS feed with all text and images is absolutely not necessary. The update nature (image, comment...) and, may be, title is largely enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd hate to see the feeds reduced to simply titles. Title-only feeds are annoying and low on the usefullness scale.

That said, full text of every forum posting is not necessary. Abstracts are best, but obviously not appropriate for this type of feed. There are a number of things that would work pretty well to accomplish the same thing:

1) Trim original forum posts to 2,000 characters.
2) Trim replies to forum posts to 250 characters.
3) Provide only small thumbnails of images.
4) Use the If-Modified-Since header as mentioned above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
I'd hate to see the feeds reduced to simply titles. Title-only feeds are annoying and low on the usefullness scale.

That said, full text of every forum posting is not necessary. Abstracts are best, but obviously not appropriate for this type of feed. There are a number of things that would work pretty well to accomplish the same thing:

1) Trim original forum posts to 2,000 characters.
2) Trim replies to forum posts to 250 characters.
3) Provide only small thumbnails of images.
4) Use the If-Modified-Since header as mentioned above.

I agree with everything said above. Title only feeds are pretty much useless. I'd like to see BGG try the If-Modified-Since header and only implement the remaining changes if absolutely necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
I don't see the problem with titles only feed. You can always lick on the title.

However, it would be better than nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
faidutti wrote:
I don't see the problem with titles only feed. You can always lick on the title.

However, it would be better than nothing.

True enough.

I personally am far less likely to follow RSS feeds that don't include at least some content. It's too much hassle to have to hit the individual article just to see if you're interested in reading it. A paragraph or two at least gives you a good indication of what you're looking at before you have to wait for a separate page load.

Yahoo Groups' RSS is a good example of a fairly poor implementation. You get maybe the first sentence of the article, which really isn't enough to decide whether you want to read the whole thing or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally would much prefer to have the old "full" feed back, if it's at all possible to support it. It was tremendously convenient to follow all the threads for a popular game, such as Railroad Tycoon, in a single long list. And for less popular games, having a single page (my Bloglines list) show me whether there was new content for each game is way faster than hitting each page directly on the 'geek. Getting thumbnails of new images inline was a nice bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's why a title only feed sucks - this is what the current Guillotine feed would look like it if was only titles:
Quote:
Re: Master Spy
Re: Review
Review

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Longdin
England
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add my two pence in support of the RSS feeds. I'd estimate they represent about 90% of my use of the Geek and I've seriously missed the gamefeeds over the last few weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
game authors like me, and probably game publishers as well, are mostly interested in looking what is said on the geek about their games. The game feeds were a very convenient way to check it. Since they have been removed, I don't take the time to check everyone of my games, I would need about one hour for this, when the feeds made it in a few seconds everytime I started my computer!

Game feeds were the only RSS feeds I ever used on the geek, and I think they are much more useful than any other feeds, and they are the only ones that have been removed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine the If-Modified-Since header alone would make a huge impact on bandwidth usage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
faidutti wrote:
Game feeds were the only RSS feeds I ever used on the geek, and I think they are much more useful than any other feeds, and they are the only ones that have been removed!

I agree, game feeds are the most useful feeds. Note that they do still work if you set them up manually:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/gamexml/####

where #### is the game id, e.g.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/gamexml/986

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They "work" in the sense that they produce valid XML, but at least for Railroad Tycoon and Command and Colors: Ancients, the XML mentions no actual content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just loaded the Railroad Tycoon feed into Bloglines. The "preview this feed" option shows:

Quote:
Railroad Tycoon
BoardGameGeek features information related to the board gaming hobby
* 20 Items
* Sort Oldest First
* Updated: Tue, Feb 28 2006 4:38 AM

However, the first item is unfortunately dated February 16. A perusal of the game page shows posting from as recently as today, February 28.

Sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feeds are live again, with current postings appearing in my feedreader. There's now XML and Bloglines links at the top right of each game page.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.