Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've crafted several PnP games now, and those that have boards I've usually made up by printing on card stock and then gluing to cardboard or chipboard, and I'm also big on wooden tokens created by printing on card stock and then adhering to the wood.

In the past I've mostly used spray adhesive, which usually works OK, but can also be frustrating in that it can be hard to control how much is being put down, it can be (actually usually is) messy, it's been hard to find the "sweet spot" between it not sticking well and it sticking so quickly that if I make a mistake I'm hosed.

Has anyone tried using something like a glue paste?
Or maybe just good ole' Elmer's white glue spread by brush or roller or something? I'm wondering if it would be too "wet" for this type of work.

I've got a couple of major projects ahead of me (one of them being my recently-purchased PnP of Hegemonic) so I'd like to make it as easy but mess-up-proof as possible.

For the wood tokens I've actually had some success with those glue sticks like kids use for school, but I don't think that'd work on a whole board

Thanks for your thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
I strongly recommend this product:

http://www.amazon.com/Avery%C2%AE-Full-Sheet-Printers-TrueBl...

Full sheet labels are just print & stick. No gluing. No fussing. I love them. Since I do have to protect them, I spray them before I stick them on things.

When I do use glue, I use either Elmer's low moisture glue or Tacky Glue, whichever is handiest. Normally, I find these in the scrapbooking section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also consider ModPodge. You can use it to adhere everything, but it also gives you a nice durable clear coat. I've been happy with the results as compared to spray adhesive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
cubeconvict wrote:
You might also consider ModPodge. You can use it to adhere everything, but it also gives you a nice durable clear coat. I've been happy with the results as compared to spray adhesive.

I can't get Modge Podge to dry completely, it is always slightly tacky. I love the finish, but I have to store the pieces so they don't touch each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helm's Deep
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mb
cubeconvict wrote:

I've only really been happy with mod podge when gluing to a board, as opposed to using to make cards. I haven't used it as a sealer. Are there any big issues/tricks to that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With great care, the standard Elmer's white glue can be forced to work, but I recommend against it. The problem is that cardboard expands and contracts with changes in moisture content. When spreading a water based glue, timing is critical. The longer it takes to apply the glue and spread it, the more unevenly the moisture is absorbed, and thus the more unevenly the cardboard expands (and later contracts). That leads to all kinds of warping and puckering, even if you clamp the workpiece until it has dried completely.

Although natural wood also expands and contracts with moisture content, it usually is thick enough and rigid enough to resist the warping effect. I still recommend applying the glue sparingly, spreading it quickly, and applying the paper immediately.

As for glue sticks, try one designed for serious crafting, like UHU for example. The bond strength of most school glue sticks is inadequate for gaming purposes.

Another idea is to use carpet tape (it has adhesive on both faces) instead of glue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like using a spray adhesive for boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:
cubeconvict wrote:

I can't get Modge Podge to dry completely, it is always slightly tacky. I love the finish, but I have to store the pieces so they don't touch each other.

You can dust the dry pieces with talc or cornstarch to remove the tacky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
Has anyone tried using something like a glue paste?
Or maybe just good ole' Elmer's white glue spread by brush or roller or something?

As an alternative to explore there is something very similar in appearance that may in general may be called "bookbinders glue". It has attributes kinder in paper conservation and other things I can't remember that serious people rate important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
As an alternative to explore there is something very similar in appearance that may in general may be called "bookbinders glue". It has attributes kinder in paper conservation and other things I can't remember that serious people rate important.

There's a bottle of what I'm talking about in this picture of a PnP project where it's being used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:
Full sheet labels are just print & stick. No gluing. No fussing. I love them. Since I do have to protect them, I spray them before I stick them on things.

thumbsup times 1000.

Eliminates mess and speeds up the process tremendously. I bought a box of 100 sheets at Office Depot so the cost was $0.40/sheet.

Well worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helm's Deep
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mb
kjamma4 wrote:
Celinashope wrote:

thumbsup times 1000.

Eliminates mess and speeds up the process tremendously. I bought a box of 100 sheets at Office Depot so the cost was $0.40/sheet.

Well worth it.

What do you all spray/seal them with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for full sheet labels.

Another thing I have grown to love lately is PMA. It stands for Positionable Mounting Adhesive and it is effectively a layer of sticker adhesive that comes in a roll that you can apply to any flat surface. Just lay your print down on the PMA, burnish it a little, and cut it off of the roll. You print just became a full sheet label.

The reason I prefer it to labels is that you can order large format prints on any quality of paper and then turn the entire thing into a label. You are not restricted to size.

The downside is that PMA is very expensive. So as with all things, you have to decide if the convenience is worth the extra cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
davekuhns wrote:
kjamma4 wrote:
Celinashope wrote:

:thumbsup: times 1000.

Well worth it.

What do you all spray/seal them with?

I use Deft brand Semi-Gloss Clear Wood Finish. About $6 a can at Lowes or Home Depot. I have an inkjet printer, and this does not make my inks run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the advice - I'm tempted to try the label sheets - I've been using them lately to sticker a bunch of poker chips and they seem to work well at least for that. I've always like that touch of extra thickness the card stock adds, but maybe it won't be that big of a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.