Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone aware of any game supply/availability issues with this game? Reason I ask, just returned from PrezCon, a major East Coast game convention where GMT Games has been a regular vendor for several years now. However, much to my dismay and surprise, they appear to have only a handful of copies available which apparently sold out within the first hour of the dealer room opening. When I got home, checked the usual internet sites and most of those listing have it as "out of stock." Any idea what's going on and when the restocks are coming, or is it just a ploy to make people go to more expensive (non-discount sources) like GMT direct or the higher-priced internet sellers (i.e. Funagain)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the meantime, try www.bunkerhillgames.com

He charges exact shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
GMT lists "4 - Good Stock" for this game on their games page: http://www.gmtgames.com/gmt0g.htm

As for the apparent shortage at PrezCon, I suspect they had a limited amount of room to bring games - so probably had to decide what to bring and what to leave behind.

If you have ordered a P500 game in the past, GMT occasionally offers a special discount (ie 50% of any in-stock game), so you could wait for that opportunity. Also see that Thought Hammer lists this game as in-stock, so that is at least one usual internet site that has it. The other sites will probably restock eventually.

For reference, GMTs stock levels:

4 - Good Stock
3 - Good Stock
2 - Low Stock
1 - Very Low Stock
0 - Out of Stock

In short - I don't think the supply of this game is limited or in any danger of selling out soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been having a hard time tracking down Twilight Struggle as well.
I have In Stock Notifications at some internet sites and after having
received the notification, the site has sold out before I can place an
order.

I'm not familiar with how GMT works. Is Twilight Struggle a one-print-and-gone type of thing. Will GMT reprint their games? The game looks interesting to me and I'd rather not miss out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reprints, as I understand the system, emerge through P500 like everything else. On the plus side you get a discount, on the downside it could be a long wait...

I suppose if a game was a very great success they might reprint without the P500 safety net. I think it would be quite a risk though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle got very early and very good buzz at Prezcon. The large number of people playing it also increased visibility. For me, this game went from "haven't heard of it" to "must have" pretty quickly. I also suspect that GMT only brought a handful of copies since they sold out pretty fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I just bought a copy through e-bay for 36.95 and I received the game in three days. They seller also has a website www.dogsofwargames.com and it seems to me that they still have the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip, Eddie -- just ordered my copy and have my fingers crossed. I have had alot of problems with on-line retailers and am reluctant to try ones I am unfamiliar with -- have had problems with Boulder, Funagain and the aforementioned Bunker Hill (BH's on-line ordering system is a mess in my opinion). The only consistently reliable one in my experience is Games Surplus -- unfortunately, they don't have the game.

The story from GMT (now posted at a PrezCon discussion board) is they brought only 9 copies to the Con and were obviously sold out in less than two hours. They brought the same number for an ancient wars game that did not sell out; frankly, I think they should have anticipated that a game based on the relatively contemporary history of the Cold War would be alot more appealing to gamers than something from 2000 years ago.

By the way this game reminds me alot of an old computer game I enjoyed called Balance of Power -- anyone remember it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ananda Gupta
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Oh I remember Balance of Power all right... Jason and I both played that game a fair bit years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.