Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
Second outing in recent weeks for this. It still looks marvellous and I’m becoming somewhat reconciled to the final scoring round, having discovered there are tactics to try and ensure you get the best from it.
I started with the “irrigation tile” approach again, this time Tim and Simon did likewise so one half of the board seemed to be all lakes! I founded one city that stayed as a “2” for the entire game, so surrounded by water was it. Then the mid-game saw growth and stacking (we never covered all of central Java, most of the mountainous side of the board being left alone) and ended up, I think, with 5 “10” cities, an “8” and a “2”. I triggered the final scoring and got to 97 points, which I thought was going to be enough. Tim could only make 94, but to y surprise Simon managed to squeeze up to 98 despite having only 4 developers on the board at the start of the turn! His trick was to manage to turn the “8” city to a “10” AND win the festival in it (just!), thus getting ten points for that which compensated for the cities he couldn’t stack high in. Robin trailed some way behind, having misinterpreted the way the final round worked (she was under the impression that the scoring would count for everyone who was first and second in each city, not just for the person scoring - we’d played it wrong the first time!) so she had carefully placed herself first in every city (bar the two-pointer) but let me trigger the game end - had she triggered it herself she would have done much better.

It’s a good game, always with too much to do; that does slow it a little but it would probably be worse with more action points anyway! This time we actually had a few contested festivals and had to reshuffle the card deck once, but I still feel that a strategy predominantly based on scoring for irrigation first, then building and preparing for the final round is the best approach. Though I don’t know why I think that, having failed to win by one point in both games so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.