Daniel Sell
United Kingdom
Dagenham
Essex
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of quick questions that came up in a game of The Great Zimbabwe today. We had some new people and they brought up a few differing opinions about rules. We've rummaged around the forum and rulebook and neither of them have answered to the point of everyone being happy with the interpretation, so if someone could wade in a get all conclusive on these things that would be super.

1) If a craftsman is in range of multiple resources, can said crafter be used multiple times?

2) Scenario: One player has built a basic wood crafter, then another player places a throne maker that is in place to use that wood crafter's wood resource. Is this a case of first come first served when using the buildings, where the second one to be used would be unavailable? Or is that wood reserved by the wood crafter?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mb
You can use the crafter multiple times - it's the resources on the board that can only be used once (except if you have the god that allows you to use a resource twice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
The buildings are first come, first served - you simply need to be able to obtain the requisite input resources/goods for any of the buildings to produce. There is no priority; just make sure that the throne maker (or any other advanced craftsman) has access to an exclusive resource when placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The above people are correct. How could it be interpreted any other way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
That throne maker could not be placed, could it? Isn't that would reserved for the wood craftsman?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the placement rules work like this:

If you place a craftsman, they have to be within three places of the resource they require. If you place a subsequent identical craftsman, they must be able to reach resources that the original craftsman can not.

It's O.k. if the identical craftsman overlap on any/all resource spaces as long as there is at least one new space that the other mask maker(s) can not reach.

For example, I play a mask maker which can reach three wood on the map. The next turn I play a second mask maker. He needs to be able to reach a different wood than the first three.

My next turn, I play a Sculptor. I can play this guy wherever the hell I want to because he is not a mask maker. If I play subsequent Sculptors though, I must observe the rule about him reaching new resources exclusively.

No one owns anything on the map in this game. Anyone can use any resource space, craftsman of monument and it's always first come, first served.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Sell
United Kingdom
Dagenham
Essex
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The exact situation that caused the problem was when a mask maker that had access to four wood was hemmed in by two throne makers and a sculptor in the course of two turns, leaving him (it was argued) with only one legal wood source.

One of those wood resources was certainly marked for the sculptor, but some discussion emerged about the fate of the upstart throne makers' right to wood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
And here's where turn order comes in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Sell
United Kingdom
Dagenham
Essex
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it seems I was unjustly robbed of my wood business and, what's more, of glorious victory!

Thanks for the help everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as a small clarification:

e.e.goings wrote:
For example, I play a mask maker which can reach three wood on the map. The next turn I play a second mask maker. He needs to be able to reach a different wood than the first three.

My next turn, I play a Sculptor. I can play this guy wherever the hell I want to because he is not a mask maker. If I play subsequent Sculptors though, I must observe the rule about him reaching new resources exclusively.

The second sculptor must have access to a wood that the first sculptor cannot reach. It's fine if that would is in reach of one of the mask makers though.

Jeroen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.