Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had our first session today. Dracula achieved victory on the back of an Evasion card and some poor die rolls on Hypnosis.

I was Dracula and started in Bucharest, while the Hunters were attached to (current) national capitals, starting in Rome, Paris, London, and Madrid. I moved to Sofia and dropped my first vampire and then proceeded to not draw another of the 6 vampire counters for the next few days. However, on the third turn, Lord Godalming came up with Hired Scouts and picked some random city in Western Europe... and Bucharest. And the chase was on.

I ducked pursuit by moving around the Balkan Peninsula, at one point moving to Athens, Hiding, then Doubling Back to Valona, then moving to Salonika, and finally getting out to the Ionian Sea, where they had been expecting me to move for a few turns. That was enough to throw them for a bit, but then they uncovered my trail and figured out that I was in Cagliari (where I had gone to toss down an Ambush counter to try to mature SOMETHING since I couldn't draw any vampires.) The Tyrrhenian then became beset by Stormy Seas with three Hunters swarming over the Mediterranean coast but Godalming thankfully trapped in the east.

I landed at Alicante and put Dracula into his first and only combat of the game against Dr. Seward, who was swiftly bitten while I put to sea again and swung out to the Atlantic. Seward used a Clear Weather card to leap ahead of me but stopped in Amsterdam instead of Hamburg (where I was headed) for some reason (perhaps trying to second-guess me?) I then moved to Berlin and was the beneficiary of the Evasion card while there, which I used to sweep right back to Sofia. In the same burst of Event cards, I was also granted the Brides of Dracula (I'd had two other allies destroyed by Good Luck) who built my Encounter tokens to 7, granting me two vampires, one of which dropped in Sofia and the other in Bucharest.

By this point, I had built 3 points on the track purely from time. A Newspaper Reports exposed Bucharest and Godalming moved there to destroy the vampire, but the one in Sofia remained undetected and matured. I used Wolf Form to slip from Klausenburg to Sarajevo and a new dawn brought the end of the game shortly thereafter.

My Hunters tried to nail me with Hypnosis twice (retrieving the card with the Event 're-equip'), but failed the roll both times. I was extremely fortunate to get the Evasion card so late in the game when it proved crucial rather than a detail, as there were a couple turns when every card in the trail was exposed except for the one I'd just laid and once in that situation they knew which sea I was on because I had no other options. Thankfully, I was able to stay ahead of them and also nullify Van Helsing with Customs Search and eliminate all of Dr. Seward's Event cards with an amazing combat in Hamburg that went to 10 turns between him and a Minion with Knife (whom I dubbed the Whirling Blademistress of Death: knife, dodge, knife, dodge, knife, dodge...; 3 lost Event cards and 5 wounds.)

My two Hunter players got a little frustrated with their inability to attack Dracula more than once, but I did point out that it was just tiny moments of ill fortune that did them in. A couple good die rolls would have radically changed the game and probably doomed the Count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrie Ulrich
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hypnosis is so nasty -- could FFG have made it any more helpful for the Hunters? Only if Dracula had to reveal all his event cards too! You're lucky to have dodged it twice. However, I don't think the Hunters were playing correctly. Re-Equip wouldn't work for grabbing Hypnosis because it's an event and not an item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. It wasn't Re-Equip, which is why I added the quote marks (didn't have the game handy when I was writing that report.) It was Surprising Return.

And, yes, Hypnosis is pretty brutal. But a lot of the Hunter cards are rough on the Count. I don't think there'd be much hope for the Hunters if a few of them weren't scattered in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.