Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does Kirga's Hero Ability work through glyphs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Lacey
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Overlord cannon spawn monsters within 5 spaces of Kirga, regardless of line of sight or other effects."

If Kirga is in town wouldn't all glyphs be 1 space away from Kirga?

Thanks,
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cann
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I've read, Kirga's ability will not work through walls, closed doors, or stairwells. Therefore I would have to say that Kirga's ability would not work from Town.

I am full of baloney.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lacey
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So basically 5 unobstructed adjacent squares?

I would debate that a door once opened, if re closed is legal due to the ignoring line of sight bit. A yet to be opened door is irrelevant as the Overlord wouldn't be able to spawn anyway.

Stairwells also would seem legit as the bottom of a stairwell is 1 space from the top of the stairwell. Unless there was an official ruling somewhere it seems that the intent is to keep a buffer where it would take significant movement from a spawned creature to be able to melee Kirga.

Through walls and to the city seems like quite a stretch though as there are no spaces through walls, and glyphs represent fast travel, not actual physical spacing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TGCRequiem wrote:
So basically 5 unobstructed adjacent squares?

I would debate that a door once opened, if re closed is legal due to the ignoring line of sight bit. A yet to be opened door is irrelevant as the Overlord wouldn't be able to spawn anyway.


The faq is quite explicit, though i don't have access while on the tablet.
Quote:

Stairwells also would seem legit as the bottom of a stairwell is 1 space from the top of the stairwell.


No, it isn't. You are confusing spaces with movement points.

Quote:
Unless there was an oficial ruling...


There is. First, be clear that it is physical spaces, not mp. Then read the faq - apologies for not being able to provide the quotes at this time
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here we go:
FAQ pg11
Q: Can abilities with a radius that do not require line of sight (Command, Word of Vaal, Spiritwalker, Kirga’s hero ability from Altar of Despair, etc.) go through walls and/ or doors? When checking the distance for these abilities, must the target space or figure be reachable by moving a number spaces less than or equal to the radius, or do these abilities work like the Breath example (fly to anywhere within a template, in this case a square of edge length 2x radius + 1 centered on the figure)?
A: Abilities, not attacks, with a radius may go through doors, but not through walls. These abilities work like the Breath example. Note that attacks cannot go through closed doors.


Basically, think of a big square template centred on Kirga. If a single space flying creature could get to a location while staying entirely within the template, including passing through closed doors but not walls, then that location is not spawnable.
Note that in some dungeon shapes that may mean places that take more than 5 spaces to get to, moving space to space, because of a circituous route, but that does not matter. So long as the route and end point are entirely within the big template, it could take a dozen spaces of actual movement and still Kirga's ability would work.
Thats not always a popular ruling (and I personally detest that they let it go through doors) but its what they decided when given two clear alternatives.

FAQ pg11
Q: Do the effects of abilities such as Aura, Spiritwalker, Command, and Kirga’s hero ability (from Altar of Despair) extend through staircases?
A: Only non–area of effect attacks may go through staircases.


This one was actualy already clear, when you don't confuse spaces and moving by MP. This same applies for Glyphs. But its made quite explicit here.
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lacey
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
corbon wrote:
Here we go:
FAQ pg11
Q: Can abilities with a radius that do not require line of sight (Command, Word of Vaal, Spiritwalker, Kirga’s hero ability from Altar of Despair, etc.) go through walls and/ or doors? When checking the distance for these abilities, must the target space or figure be reachable by moving a number spaces less than or equal to the radius, or do these abilities work like the Breath example (fly to anywhere within a template, in this case a square of edge length 2x radius + 1 centered on the figure)?
A: Abilities, not attacks, with a radius may go through doors, but not through walls. These abilities work like the Breath example. Note that attacks cannot go through closed doors.


Basically, think of a big square template centred on Kirga. If a single space flying creature could get to a location while staying entirely within the template, including passing through closed doors but not walls, then that location is not spawnable.
Note that in some dungeon shapes that may mean places that take more than 5 spaces to get to, moving space to space, because of a circituous route, but that does not matter. So long as the route and end point are entirely within the big template, it could take a dozen spaces of actual movement and still Kirga's ability would work.
Thats not always a popular ruling (and I personally detest that they let it go through doors) but its what they decided when given two clear alternatives.

FAQ pg11
Q: Do the effects of abilities such as Aura, Spiritwalker, Command, and Kirga’s hero ability (from Altar of Despair) extend through staircases?
A: Only non–area of effect attacks may go through staircases.


This one was actualy already clear, when you don't confuse spaces and moving by MP. This same applies for Glyphs. But its made quite explicit here.


Thanks Corbon! I did try to look up the FAQ last night, but I was having internet issues and it would only load the first two pages. I appreciate the clarifications.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.