12 Posts

Agricola» Forums » Rules

Subject: Irrigation Canal card (G deck) useless for Vegetables? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This card came up tonight. IIRC it says that you sow one less than normal. Since you only grow 1 vegetable normally, you don't get anything more than your seed vegetable back; ie only one orange disk is placed on the new Field, instead of two. So there is no point in doing it.

Is this correct & intended?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
It is correct.

However, note that you will get to speed up the harvesting of your 2 vegetables by 1 harvest. Both fields will also be freed up for more sowing after that next harvest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But you have no net gain from the faster harvest, unless you need to eat it this Season in order to avoid Begging.

You might have an Occupation that allows processing Veg, so you would be able to process them sooner (both for one action), but if you MUST process sooner, you made a mistake in your timing in the first place.

Generally, instead of playing Irrigation Canal and Plow, you could play Grain/Veg and Plow and have the same net result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you do not eat the vegetables during the harvest, you will have 2 vegetables on hand and 2 empty fields. Another sow action will get you to the 4 vegetables required for maximum score in that category.

Without the Irrigation Canal, you will have 1 vegetable on hand, 1 vegetable in a field, and 1 empty field. Sowing will get you to 3 vegetables. Of course, you can choose to take another vegetable to make the 4.

We also have to view this in the context of other fields that can gain from the Irrigation Canal. You may have other grain fields that gains some benefits from the Irrigation Canal when you plow next to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Though I'm not familiar with the G deck it's also possible that you have a card which gets you additional veggies when you sow which would gain you more veggies from the supply when you use the Irrigation canal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
There are also cards that trigger off of the action of sowing which can be helpful.

And there are at least a few G-deck cards that give you extra resources when you sow (e.g. Horse Barn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For every Plow you need a Grain/Veg to plant upon it. You should get as many as you need before doing the Sow action.

To use the Irrigation Canal, you must have previously Sown.

SO:
Veg
Plow
Sow
Irrigation Canal
Plow & free transfer of 1 Veg as Sow
= 4 actions net 2 Veg
then Sow them again
= 5 actions net 4 veg

VERSUS
Veg
Plow
Veg
Plow
Sow
= 5 actions net 4 Veg

Probably pretty efficient for Grain when using 3 or 4 Fields.

I don't have the card in front of me; if I have 2 empty Fields, can I remove BOTH veg and transfer them, leaving the original field empty? But I don't see any advantage to that for Veg. There would be advantage with grain because I would be growing 6, doubling my original 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
Gronak wrote:
For every Plow you need a Grain/Veg to plant upon it. You should get as many as you need before doing the Sow action.

To use the Irrigation Canal, you must have previously Sown.

SO:
Veg
Plow
Sow
Irrigation Canal
Plow & free transfer of 1 Veg as Sow
= 4 actions net 2 Veg
then Sow them again
= 5 actions net 4 veg

VERSUS
Veg
Plow
Veg
Plow
Sow
= 5 actions net 4 Veg

didnt the OP say the card gives you 1 less, so all this is wrong
you dont get 2 veg, then 4 veg in your first lot, you have spent 4 actions and still only have 1 veg
sow again is then 5 actions, still only 1 veg

the second set of actions is the same 5 actions but you DO get 4 veg.

if you put 1 veg in the ground and bring 1 back, you always have 1 veg, the veg are not increasing, that is the source of the OPs confusion,but as others have said, its probably designed to combo with things like planter box or potato dibber for example

Gronak's correct. In the example a veg is sown before using the Irrigation Canal, so there are 2 veg in the ground, the IC helps get those veg out quicker, which are then sown again for 4 veg (all in the ground).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
This card came up tonight. IIRC it says that you sow one less than normal. Since you only grow 1 vegetable normally, you don't get anything more than your seed vegetable back; ie only one orange disk is placed on the new Field, instead of two. So there is no point in doing it.

Is this correct & intended?

You are correct. However, there are quite a few cards that give you extra vegetables when you plant. Fieldsman, Smallholder, Planterbox, Potato Dibber - and that's just from the EIK decks. I'm sure there are a half dozen more. There are also cards that give you benefits for harvesting crops as well as for having planted fields.

IMO, Irrigation Canal is not a very good card if you play it by itself. If you don't have something that goes with it, I think you're right that there's probably little point in playing it. But in the right combos it can be quite useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
TwitchBot wrote:

IMO, Irrigation Canal is not a very good card if you play it by itself. If you don't have something that goes with it, I think you're right that there's probably little point in playing it. But in the right combos it can be quite useful.

In the right combos it can be really cool. Not super powerful, but powerful enough, and just plain neat. Better yet, it makes other sucky cards cool too, like Fieldsman. But it does mostly suck by itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.