Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Scopa» Forums » General

Subject: Online play & alternate card numbering - is this a real rule somehow? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been playing a bit of Scopa over at GameTwist.com, and for the most part it is an excellent implementation of the game - however the card numbering and play on the Jack / Queen / King cards is a bit oddball - it's not mentioned in the rules on their own site, and it seems like nobody who plays there speaks English so I can't really ask the other players who seem to know what they're doing...

Anyway from everything I've seen Jacks / Queens / Kings are valued at 8, 9, and 10 - and in fact I have the Winning Moves edition of the game that numbers these cards, and those are the numbers they have.

However, as can be seen in the below show, for some reason the cards there are number 10, 11, and 12:

And apparently the way they work (and it took me a bit of trial and error to figure it out, as again it's not explained anywhere) - if you play say, a 12, and there's another 12 there, you can take it. However if theres NOT another 12 there, you then actually have to take multiple cards that add up to 10 (for the first several games I kept trying to take cards adding up to 12 and having it not work).

Has anybody seen this anywhere else?
I suppose functionally it plays the same, but it just seems friggin' weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Marcolungo
Italy
Colognola ai Colli
Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fante (Jack) = 8
Cavallo (Horse) = 9
Re (King) = 10

Anyway a player must take the card f the same value of the one he played before taking combinations of other cards (5, 3, , 2, 1 J on the table: if you play a J you cannot choose 5+3 OR 5+2+1, but you must take the J)

Never played with different values.
... and played a lot! ;-))
Ciao!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
Anyway from everything I've seen Jacks / Queens / Kings are valued at 8, 9, and 10 - and in fact I have the Winning Moves edition of the game that numbers these cards, and those are the numbers they have.

However, as can be seen in the below show, for some reason the cards there are number 10, 11, and 12:

Has anybody seen this anywhere else?

As can be seen in the screenshot below, the Escoba HD iPad app (plays the Scopa di Quindici variant, which goes by the name Escoba in Spain) does this too.

You're right that it can be very confusing, since the cards marked 10/11/12 are actually worth 8/9/10 points. Especially for new players, it's quite frustrating.

There must be some historical reason or explanation for it though - hopefully someone can enlighten us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.