Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Entry Thread for Endless Nightmare – Contest Ready
Designed for the 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest
BGG database entry for the game
Vassal module for the game (thanks to radchad)

You’re caught in an endless, ever shifting nightmare hunted by The Shadow – an ominous all devouring presence. You try to outrun it and avoid going insane from the horrors of the nightmare, but it’s just a matter of time until you succumb.

Mechanically the game is a simple push your luck, risk management game consisting of a small rulebook, a one page game board, 11 small markers and a six sided die (markers and die must be supplied by you). The game also has an “Active” version (requiring more components) where you for example have to hold your breath in real life to avoid drowning in the game.

A photo of the Active Version of the game.

An image of the main game board.

An image of the extra game board for the Active Version of the game.

What you need

Endless Nightmare – Basic consists of a one sheet game board, 2½ pages of rules of which you only need to read the first 1½ before starting to play. You need to supply 11 markers (one of which must be different than the others) and one six sided die.

Endless Nightmare – Active extends the Basic version. It adds a second one sheet game board, adds a few extra rules and replaces a page of rules in the Basic version. It also requires you to supply an additional six markers and a stop watch (your phone probably has one).

A solitaire nightmare

Endless Nightmare is a solitaire game and my plays of the Basic version have normally taken 5-10 minutes, with a few plays approaching 15, and the Active version normally takes a bit longer than the Basic version. Setup and tear down has been less than 1 minute total for me.

The Basic version provides 12 different nightmare scenes each with their own simple special rule based on the theme of the scene. This provides variation within a very simple framework. Most plays will take you through one to five of these scenes chosen randomly (there’s a veteran’s variant where you can choose scenes yourself to add strategy). The Active version replaces or changes 8 of the scenes, and these 8 scenes have special rules that depend on your skills in the physical world (though nothing that makes you leave the comfort of your chair ).

Files for the game

I have played the game roughly 50 times and it has been playtested by one other person. The Basic version has been pretty stable for some days now, while the Active version has just been finished. IMHO the game is ready for other people to play it, but I expect changes to still happen.

I’d really appreciate anyone who’ll take the time to try out the game and give me feedback (no matter whether it’s good or bad).

Choose the one of the three versions of main game board that suits you:
Main game board
Main game board (medium ink)
Main game board (very low ink)

Choose the version of the extra game board that suits you::
Die Board
Die Board (LowInk)

And download the rulebook:
Rulebook

Please try out Endless Nightmare and the other contestants – I really look forward to being part of a fun and friendly contest, and want to thank Chris Hansen for making this happen .

Level of testing

Test plays by me: ~60
Number of feedbackgiving external playtesters: 20

-----

Change log (changes marked in bold are changes that affect gameplay.
• 24.09.2013: Stupid error fixed on the board where I had mixed up the names of some of the tracks.
• 24.09.2013: Added extra labeling to the Scares, Horrors, and Progress tracks to indicate how they’re modified.
• 24.09.2013: Updated the low ink game board to be consistent with the recent changes of the game.
• 24.09.2013: Tweaked the wording of the rules again to make them clearer (no rules were changed).
• 23.09.2013: Minor tweaks of the rulebook to make the game easier to understand such as adding a few symbols and changing the wording in a few places. No rule changes.
• 22.09.2013: Board completely remade in higher resolution and with coloring added to make the symbols easier to recognize (low ink board, not updated).
22.09.2013: The 7-space has been removed from the Scares and Horrors tracks (low ink board, not updated).
• 22.09.2013: Numbers added to the Nightmares Survived track (low ink board, not updated).
• 22.09.2013: Nightmares sorted alphabetically in the table (low ink board, not updated).
• 17.09.2013: Explanations tweaked and extended to give a better understanding of the flow of the game from the beginning.
• 17.09.2013: Added die rolls required and length to the Nightmare lists in the rules. Until I make the next update of the board the die rolls in the scene descriptions won’t match those on the board. You can choose which ones you want to use for now.
• 17.09.2013: Changed the name of “Veteran’s Variant” to “Strategist’s Variant”.
17.09.2013: Added a new variant: “Veteran’s Variant” where The Shadow is placed closer to the player during setup.
17.09.2013: Tweaked the “Decay” scene for the Basic Version to make Horrors more probable.
17.09.2013: [b]Replaced the “Exposed” Nightmare with the “Temptation” Nightmare in the Active Version.
• 17.09.2013: Changed the name of the Nightmare “Darkness” to “Blind”.
08.09.2013: The rules for the “Monsters” and “Spiders” have been changed radically in the Active Version to make them more fitting for that.
08.09.2013: Changed the rules for “The Fall” so that the parachute die roll can’t be altered using Sanity.
08.09.2013: Changed the rule for “The Fall”, so that you don’t increase the Progress marker if you have succeeded in fixing the parachute (this had become a possibility in the last revision that made it so that you don’t move to the next turn until the end of the turn).
• 08.09.2013: Made it clear that you can’t use sanity to take the die roll outside the 1-6 range. This is not a change to the rules, just a clarification.
• 08.09.2013: Made it clear that you lose if the markers on the Progress and The Shadow tracks ever pass each other, not only if they’re on neighboring spaces. This is not a rule change, just a clarification.
• 08.09.2013: Specified what is meant by rolling the die through the line of markers in the scene “Buried”.
• 08.09.2013: Added note that for the Active Version you should play with a die with rounded corners and skip the scenes with time pressure until you know the main rules by heart.
• 08.09.2013: Name of playtestes added to the rulebook.
• 08.09.2013: New record added for the Active version: 70 points.
• 08.09.2013: Various small tweaks to the wording, such as the explanation of how you select action and action points.
• 01.09.2013: Color changed for Courage related icons, to make it easier to tell them apart from those related to Sanity.
• 01.09.2013: Size of symbols in the turn order table tweaked for clarity and consistency.
• 01.09.2013: ”Nigmares survived” changed to ”Nightmares survived” on the main board.
• 01.09.2013: “N#” changed to “NS” in the “The Shadow” table on the main board.
• 14.08.2013: Tweaked the rules to make them clearer based on input in this thread.
• 14.08.2013: Fixed the text of a couple of scenes that refered to rerolling the die, which you can't do anymore in the current version of the rules.
14.08.2013: Updated the Die Board to fit the graphic style of the main board better and added a border to the Die Board.
09.08.2013: Updated the rules for the "Old Factory" nightmare, so that it's consistent with the new board.
• 09.08.2013: Added new high score for Basic version: 50 pts.
• 09.08.2013: The main game board for normal and medium ink has been changed to have the Progress track go clockwise like the rules specify (the low ink version was already clockwise).
08.08.2013: Shadow starts one step further away. This should make the game a bit easier.
08.08.2013: Sanity effect changed from reroll to adding or subtracting 2 to a die roll instead of rerolling, this should reduce the luck factor of the game a bit.
• 08.08.2013: Position track has changed name to Progress.
• 08.08.2013: Distance track has changed name to The Shadow
08.08.2013: Progress and The Shadow tracks are now circular.
• 08.08.2013: Scenes have been renamed Nightmares.
• 08.08.2013: The Scene # has been renamed to Nightmares Survived.
• 08.08.2013: Turn order table made more detailed.
• 08.08.2013: Numbers have been substituted by symbols on the game board (except for the low ink version).
08.08.2013: Nightmares now end when you have moved as many spaces as their length (previously you had to move more spaces).
08.08.2013: Nightmares are now only changed at the end of a turn instead of in the middle of the turn.
• 08.08.2013: Points are renamed Action Points
• 08.08.2013: Nightmares sorted in alphabetic order in the rules for easier reference.
• 08.08.2013: Nightmare flavor texts tweaked.
08.08.2013: Temptation nightmare tweaked to be less punishing if you start with low courage.
• 01.08.2013: Extraneous "5:" removed from the turn order table on the main game board.
• 31.07.2013: Rolled four phases into one. This doesn't change game play, it's basically a change of the way the rules for this part of the game are explained.
30.07.2013: A small tweak that makes the Active version of the scene "The Test" harder.
29.07.2013: Active version added to the rules and download link for the Die Board necessary for the Active version, so the complete game is now available for download.
29.07.2013: Switched the order of the two Scene Event steps for “The Fall” scene, so that you now have one more turn before you smash into the ground.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP Endless Nightmare – a solitaire no assembly required PnP – Initial Playtesting (basic version has components)
If you enter a game into the contest that's similar to mine, i.e. a simple game that can just be printed and played without using scissors or glue, then let me know and I'll try it out and give you feedback as my time allows. If it's thematic I might also write about it on my blog: Thematic Solitaires for the Spare Time Challenged.

This is a no strings attached, no questions asked offer . My game may not appeal to you, you may not have the time, or have any number of other reasons, so I'm not asking that you try my game out in return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Design Goals
Design goals for Endless Nightmare

I’ve been playing board games for more than three decades and have been designing games for almost as long. The designs have just been for myself or a few friends and to be honest most of them have been facepalmingly bad. A few times though a design has clicked for me, and I actually had fun playing it, and Endless Nightmare is one of those few, and it’s the first one that I’ve shown to anyone other than close friends. Being new on the scene doesn’t mean that you need to be gentle with me though – I can handle (and appreciate) negative feedback .

I’m currently in a theme-first period of my life as a gamer, so the theme has been a guiding light when making this game and in most cases the game mechanics have been chosen because of the theme instead of the theme being pasted on after the game was made. The ever shifting scenes, the event in each scene, and the feeling of being hunted all come from the thematic idea of a nightmare.

This also means that Endless Nightmare isn’t meant to be fair or balanced. It’s meant to feel shifting, menacing and impossible to win - just like real nightmares. Since the game can’t be won there needs to be something else to strive for and therefore I created a simple scoring system.

Before making the game I set up four design goals:

1. The game should be thematic while not violating my other design goals.

2. The game should be easily playable for spare time challenged people like me. To quantify this goal I set a target of 15 minutes for setup, play, and tear down (but shorter would be better), and since playtime for the Basic game seems to take 5-10 minutes with setup and teardown done in seconds I hit my target. The requirement of being playable for spare time challenged people also leads to the third design goal:

3. It should be an extremely accessible PnP, which I quantified by setting the goal that the game board should fit on a single A4/letter sheet, with only a few standard components added by the player and the rules should preferably be at most two pages. I think that I got very close to achieving this goal for the Basic game. The game board takes up 1 sheet with no other components to print. The player needs to add 10 markers and a d6 – I would have preferred fewer markers, but still think that I more or less succeeded on this count. Finally the rules are two pages, but it’s more due to formatting than length of the text that it isn’t three pages, so in this case I think I missed my goal a bit, which annoys me, but at least I could make it so that you only need to read half the rules initially.

4. It must be fun as a game - I’m all too used to trashing my game designs that succeed thematically, but fail as games.

Overall I think that I hit my first three design goals fairly well given the tightness of the constraints. You could make a good argument that the mechanics are so simple that they can feel a bit abstract instead of thematic, but I think that’s hard to avoid given the fact that the other goals required the game to be very simple.

The fourth goal (and to a large extent also the first), however is very hard for me to evaluate (I’m having a blast with the game, but I’m hardly objective ), so I’d love to hear the opinion of anyone who takes the time to try out the game.

As mentioned above the game also has an extended version called “Endless Nightmare – Active”. I didn’t intend for this extension to exist initially, but a great idea from my friend Jamey Stegmaier from StoneMaier Games brought it to life. The Active version violates my third design goal by adding an extra game board, a few extra components and some more rules, but as long as the Basic version is there I’m OK with that, and I really think it takes the game to a whole other level, beyond what you find in most board games.

Finally I’d like to encourage everyone to try out the other entrants in the contest as they become available, or even better: Enter a game into the contest.

Even more finally I’d like to remind you that 83.97% of all made up statistics about Endless Nightmare shows that you’ll become rich, famous and endlessly happy if you vote for it in this competition .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP Endless Nightmare – a solitaire no assembly required PnP – Initial Playtesting (basic version has components)
Reserved for future use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just downloaded basic rules.

Specially like "Endless Nightmare isn’t meant to be fair or balanced. It’s meant to feel shifting, threatening and impossible to win -just like real nightmares"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eximeno wrote:
I've just downloaded basic rules.

Specially like "Endless Nightmare isn’t meant to be fair or balanced. It’s meant to feel shifting, threatening and impossible to win -just like real nightmares"

Cool, thanks. I really appreciate that. If you have any feedback on the rules or get the chance to try out the game, then please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
Defender of the Grid! "I Fight for the Users!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed! I like this theme a ton!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyraziel wrote:
Subscribed! I like this theme a ton!

Thanks, so do I . Let me know if you get the time to read the rules or play the game. The Basic version is fully playable right now and the Active version should be ready soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP Endless Nightmare – a solitaire no assembly required PnP – Components Ready
I have now updated the rules with the Active version and added links for the extra game board required by the Active version, so the game is now complete and available for download .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP Endless Nightmare – a solitaire no assembly required PnP for the 2013 contest – Components Ready
Looks interesting! Subscribed and will play it some this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP Endless Nightmare – a solitaire no assembly required PnP for the 2013 contest – Components Ready
pusherman42 wrote:
Looks interesting! Subscribed and will play it some this week.

Thanks. Sounds great . Let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added a description of the design goals that I had before started making this game to the second comment of this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very interesting. Can't wait to try it. Can't download at work unfortunately. So will have to wait until I get home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RHPDaddy wrote:
Looks very interesting. Can't wait to try it. Can't download at work unfortunately. So will have to wait until I get home.

And I can't wait until I hear your feedback . I'm really looking forward to hearing the opinion of someone who isn't either me or a friend .

Thank you for taking an interest in Endless Nightmare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small rules update
The scene "The Test" was too easy in the Active version of the game so I've uploaded a new version of the rules where that scene has been made harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies if you have already answered this, but I was just browsing through the rules and couldn't figure out how exactly I determine the "Scene number" when performing The Shadow's movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
My apologies if you have already answered this, but I was just browsing through the rules and couldn't figure out how exactly I determine the "Scene number" when performing The Shadow's movement.

Thank you for taking an interest in Endless Nightmare and taking the time to ask questions.

The "Scene #" is the number beneath the marker on the track named "Scene #". The "Scene #" track is the track to the top left of the game board.

Hope that clears up your question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate...always making a scene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:

Thank you for taking an interest in Endless Nightmare and taking the time to ask questions.

The "Scene #" is the number beneath the marker on the track named "Scene #". The "Scene #" track is the track to the top left of the game board.

Oh, I'm a dunce. There's a track for the Scenes! I was just looking at the two columns of Scenes in the upper right. Whoops.

blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:

Oh, I'm a dunce. There's a track for the Scenes! I was just looking at the two columns of Scenes in the upper right. Whoops.

blush

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself .

The rules are written to be very short and tight in order to have a quickly read rulebook. The risk of doing it this way is that it can be easy to miss something, because most things are only stated once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:

If you try to play the game or have feedback based on reading the rules, I'd love to hear from you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Fry
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just tried the basic version of your game a few times. The first three times were very quick, partly due to rolling the Decay scene twice right near the start.

On my fourth time though I got a score of 32. After hiding out from monsters, thinking of home and repeating "Stay calm, you're in control", I managed to escape with most of my sanity intact. I boldly strolled naked through the room with my coworkers after realizing that it was only a dream, but I think a monster followed me... Oh great, Now I'm trapped in a coffin. "Stay calm, you're in control". Just keep digging, slowly but surely I'll get out right? I think it's getting closer though. That's alright, I'm almost through. "Stay calm, you're in control". There! I made it... Wait, another coffin? This can't be! "I'm not calm" It's getting closer! "I've lost control" Let me out of here! NOOOOOOOOO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel_Fry wrote:
Just tried the basic version of your game a few times. The first three times were very quick, partly due to rolling the Decay scene twice right near the start.

On my fourth time though I got a score of 32. After hiding out from monsters, thinking of home and repeating "Stay calm, you're in control", I managed to escape with most of my sanity intact. I boldly strolled naked through the room with my coworkers after realizing that it was only a dream, but I think a monster followed me... Oh great, Now I'm trapped in a coffin. "Stay calm, you're in control". Just keep digging, slowly but surely I'll get out right? I think it's getting closer though. That's alright, I'm almost through. "Stay calm, you're in control". There! I made it... Wait, another coffin? This can't be! "I'm not calm" It's getting closer! "I've lost control" Let me out of here! NOOOOOOOOO!

Haha. I loved your mini session report - that was exactly the kind of experience I was aiming for . Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

Did you have fun? Was there parts you didn't like? Was the rules easy or hard to understand?

Any feedback will be very much appreciated.

If you have the time to try out the Active version, I'd also love to hear about that - it takes the game to a completely new level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel_Fry wrote:
On my fourth time though I got a score of 32.

That's way too close to my record for me to feel comfortable - please play worse next time .

(I have have higher scores, but I've had to reset my high score list several times because I made changes to the game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Fry
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was entertaining and probably will be until I've played all 12 scenarios. However, as with any solo luck based game it'll get repetitive. It's not complicated or interesting enough to hold my attention for vary long.

In order for the game to stay interesting, there would need to be more scenes released every now and then to draw me back to it.

The rules were easy enough to understand, though I think phases 2-5 could probably be condensed into one or two phases. I don't see why they need to be so subdivided. Something like:

1. Scene event
2. Perform an action
3. Scares and Horrors
4. The Shadow

And then as your describing each phase, you should number the descriptions for easy reference.

Once I get the chance, I'll try the active version and let you know if that increases it's entertainment value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.