Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is good that Blake and Kerrie moved down here, as it turns out they had accumuated a pile of board games and the unwashed masses of Erie didn't enjoy board games!

I consider myself a hybrid gamer at this point. 1/2 roleplaying 1/2 board gaming. What an ugly middle of the road place to be!

Blake was drawn in by the lure of Descent and picked it up. So in an attempt to make a dent in his backlog of unplayed games, he and Kerrie came over to play.

Since Blake had read the rules twice we nominated him to be evil. Running the first scenario.

I dealt out three characters to everyone to pick one from. I don't know if those are the official rules, but it gives some choice but not as much as having to look through the whole stack. Kerrie took a big fighter mostly speced for melee with lots of hits. She drew the tough skill giving her even more hits. She was also slllooowww wiht a move of 3. Jeff took the ranger type with the hawk, he drew the precision card which let him shoot past the front line, which proved to be very useful. April took the runey mage who can activate runes from afar, and explodes when killed, I don't know if those were character or card abilities, but she drew the mouse familiar which turned out to be useful. I took silhouette the shootey girl. I drew rapid fire wehre i could shoot multiple times, +2 move and +2 fatigue, a great combo actually though I didn't realize it until later. (I would have bought fatigue potions and been a machine gun!)

We stumbled through the first room with some ease. Kiling beastmen and skeletons. Blake is a little discouraged as overlord. We push forward into the side room, leaving the rat behind to cover LOS for spawning purposes so blake really can't spawn behind us with ease.

I kept on lucking out and getting the red monster kills and got relatively rich.

We pressed up along the side room, and blake focused on spawing monsters. He played the evil genius card that let him draw 3 cards every turn instead of 2, putting some preassure on us. He never played any traps, and perhaps one event.

We had to grind through a room thick with monsters to get to the runekey. Aprils mage died a couple of times, the first time we didn't know that she killed all surrounding baddies when she did.

We then moved on into the giants ante room and dispatched those guys fairly well. We were feeling good, moving pretty fast, with a bunch of conquest. Blake had a pile of evil spawned behind us by this point so we decided to make a town run, potion and heal up and punch into the giants lair. We didn't have much in the way of upgraded weapons, as we were going for speed. So we burstthrough the door and got some nice gold items, but didn't really distribute them. The Manticores came up and crushed me sending me back to down, there goes three conquest. We lost another, I forget who. April tried to get off her uber blast, but blake dodged it into a miss. I came back from the dead and fired a huge volley with my newbie bow, just not doing enough damage to get through the armor. The giant came up and smashed the falconer into putty, and our conquest vanished, the stalwart heros were lost.

I think we did ok with our speed, the overlord runng through the deck only twice, and that is with the extra draw. We did spend a lot of money on potions. I think we got smashed so hard in the final room because we didn't have enough upgraded weapons. And when we did get the gold weapons at the end, but we didn't make it a priority to distribute them properly. We shall see how things go next game.

Blake described being the overlord as an emotional roller coaster, as it felt like the heros just steamrolled over his monsters and he didn't make much ground. But at the end the overlord gets to unleash some whopass. I am not sure he liked the role of evil overlord very much.

All in all it was enjoyable. Tons of Chits that track lots of things, but no real brain hurting complexity behind it. I think we will give this a try again soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen E.
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
As I just had my first play last night I would aggree that the first game is a little weird. Our group of 3 flew through the front of the dungen relatively quickly. But when we got to the end of the dungen we began to have a little trouble. I think the biggest issue is that the game was so long that by then end I just wanted to be finished.

Our group was way overpowered so their wasn't that much challenge or danger of us dying which also made the last room that much frustrating. It had been 3-4 hours and I was ready to be done. The whole experience reminded me a bit of an instance from WOW. Which is not a bad thing.

The only other problem I really had with the game is the downtime during the DMs turn, im sure the DM feels the same way during the players turn.

I will definantly be playing again, Im sure this game will only get better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I have discovered why we got spanked so hard in the final room. When we were opening a chest we were just taking 1 treasure for the whole group, rather than each player drawing 1 treasure. We had essentially 1/4 the loot we should have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.