Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Pease
United States
Tarzana
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished playing a game last night that really locked up in the thick of it. It was our first ever play. The situation:

2 blue cubes on the 4) hop
2 blue cubes on the 3) hop
1 blue cube on the 2) hop (but this also could have had two? right?)

There are only 7 blue cards to play, and they were evenly distributed on both sides of those tiles like so:

2 on one side of the 4) hop, 1 on the other
2 on one side of the 3) hop, 1 on the other
1 on one side of the 2) hop

...meaning that both I and my opponent had no blue cards in hand, and none were in the discard/draw piles.... So we could not finish any of those tiles - ever, if I am reading the rules correctly.

This meant that only the 1) tile could be played for the rest of the game, so we figured we either had to improv a rule (we did) or play for the next 64 hours to finish our game.

Anyway...Are we missing a rule, or is this situation statistically possible? Seems impossible to have be missed in playtesting, so I am sure we are doing something wrong.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Tuxbury
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SHAZAM!
mbmbmbmbmb
After the game was released, reports of a game lock-up came in. This was the official fix:

RULES ADDENDUM

At no time should there be a number of cubes in play (on all mats), of any given colour, equal to or more than the number of cubes it takes to win the trophy of that colour.

In other words:

There should be no more than 2 grey cubes
There should be no more than 3 blue cubes
There should be no more than 4 green cubes
There should be no more than 5 yellow cubes
There should be no more than 6 red cubes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Alas no, Scott, the lock-up situation was apparently missed during playtesting.

My wife and I typically play that no more than half-plus-one of a color's cubes can be in play at any one time. Thus we place no more than three (out of five) gray cubes, four (out of seven) blue cubes, and so forth. Furthermore, those three gray and four blue can never be on the same tile or else that tile would be out of play for the remainder of the game.

Keeping track of these numbers can be annoying, but my wife enjoys the game, so I make the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pease
United States
Tarzana
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it. Sorry to beat a dead horse - I remembered to check the Rio Grande website right after posting that and found the Errata as well.

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanjay Subrahmanyan
India
Chennai
Tamil Nadu
flag msg tools
badge
Play a boardgame and get social
mbmbmbmbmb
ah! happened to us today for the first time with the grey cubes. we were just playing for one of the tiles when we realised there were 4 grey cubes onn the different boards! thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.