CATAN 3D Collector's Edition» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A fool and her money rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L M
Canada
flag msg tools
History of my Purchase
When I first heard about this set I got excited. At that time I'd seen it priced at $380.00 U.S. The speculation on this set was very positive. I asked one of my favorite game stores if they would be getting any in because I thought maybe I could purchase it for my partner for christmas.

They said they'd ordered 3 and those were all spoken for. They doubted they could get more.

Shortly after christmas, when my budget was drained, the store got them in and they contacted me and told me that the price was $460.00 Canadian ...which would be over $500.00 canadian after taxes. Apparently they actually got 4 in and I was next on the waiting list. After hearing that price, I told them, sheepishly, that I couldn't afford it now and would have to wait. If they still had it in a couple of months time I'd probably be able to get it then.

I was really shocked at the price and had already read some reviews (here). Consequently, I wasn't as excited about purchasing it anymore. In fact I knew it would be a ridiculous purchase. However, I also felt partially responsible for the store ordering in that 4th copy. I couldn't handle the idea of wimping out and leaving someone else "holding the bag". So, as promised, I eventually purchased it.

My Review
Overall Gameplay:
On a scale of 1 to 10 I’d rate it a 9/10. It’s fun as always. It is Settlers of Catan after all. The 3D aspect adds a bit of fun. A few tiny negatives include it being a bit tricky to place the Robber so he doesn’t fall from a precarious perch, the maritime trade locations on the wooden border are a bit confusing, and I’m very scared I’m going to break something by accidentally fumbling it or dropping it. If I broke something, I'm sure I'd cry.

Overall Quality:
On a scale of 1 to 10 when considering price and collectible factor I’d rate it a 6.5/10. I was definitely a bit disappointed with the quality. I really don’t see $380.00 U.S. worth of materials here (In my case $459.00 Canadian + taxes).

I suppose one could argue that it’s high cost is because it is collectible and that a limited number have been produced. One could also argue that it’s value will likely increase with time and it could be re-sold later for more money. I'll believe that when I see it.

I'm not sure how many other fools there are with money to burn. Mine is also no longer “mint in the box” and I’m not planning to resell it so the re-saleable collectible argument might be a bit lost on me.

Wooden Case:
Hits: Nice and heavy duty. Some have complained that the terrain tiles didn’t fit well in the slots provided. Ours does not seem to have that problem.
Misses: None

Stacking Plastic Card Trays:
Hits: Nice to have a way to store the cards neatly.
Misses: The trays are wimpy. I’m not sure they’ll withstand stand the test of time. I also don’t like the fact that they are floating loose in the chest.

Terrain Tiles
Hits: Pretty. They really change the appearance of the board in a good way.
Misses: I can’t think of any.

Plastic Number Tokens:
Hits: The transparency is nice and they don’t detract from the 3d terrain tiles at all. They make a nice place for the robber to stand. The red (frequently rolled) numbers really stand out.
Misses: I’m not sure this is really a miss. Maybe there’s something I have yet to learn about Cities and Knights. However, I can’t help but wonder why are the numbers different sizes? 2 is miniscule, 12 is small, 10 is huge. [edit feb. 28/06 I think I've figured it out... the smaller sizes represent less frequently rolled numbers. Instead of the dots they used on the original cardboard set, they just varied the number size]

Resin Roads, Settlements, Cities, City Walls:
Hits: The four different player sets are nicely colored and easily distinguishable on the board. I also like the way the cities are separate from the city wall on two of them. I like the way the metropolis pieces onto the city. Totally fun!
Misses: Some of the settlements are chipped brand new out of the box. The color isn’t consistant between pieces. They were painted and then a darker wash was done overtop but the wash wasn’t done evenly. The quality here is disappointing.

Resin Knights, Robber, Merchant:
Hits: They are 3d…so that’s always kewl. The Robber and the Merchant definitely add character to the board.
Misses: The robber and merchant are pretty nice but the knights have the worst paint jobs I’ve ever seen. They have been washed in black. The black didn’t adhere to the resin properly. The shields have been painted silver, gold, and black to denote the 3 different strengths of knights. The pictures in the instructions show the three types of knights with a full set of silver colored armor (not a roughly black washed resin). The paint jobs are so bad on these that I can’t stand it. I may have to sacrifice the collectible value of the set just so I can re-paint them myself.

Board Frame:
Hits: It’s made of wood
Misses: The marine trade locations don’t line up that well because of where the pieces connect. It was a bit confusing at first but we finally decided where the trade locations were half way through the game. The 6 wood frame pieces jigsaw together a bit rough. I was worried we’d damage the border trying to disassemble it …but so far so good.

Resource Cards:
Hits: none
Misses: Too small. I am not used to holding such tiny cards. I feel like Mayfair cheaped out here. Considering that this is the 10th anniversary collectors set and the overall cost of the set you’d think they could have spent a little more and included full size cards.

Victory Point Cards & Building Cost Cards:
Hits: Nice heavy Card Stock
Misses: None

I'm sure I will enjoy this set for years to come (If I manage to forget how much it cost). I'm also sure that I will never be able to tell friends and family how much it actually cost for fear that they would lose any respect for me that they once had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The numbers on the Number Tokens always had different sizes at least in the original German version. I also didn't notice any differences in resource card sizes in comparison to the regular German edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:
The numbers on the Number Tokens always had different sizes at least in the original German version. I also didn't notice any differences in resource card sizes in comparison to the regular German edition.

Using Mayfair's 3rd edition, and AFAIK all other US versions, the chits were the same size regardless of the number. The dots or pips were the only attribute used to show probability of rolls

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.