Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had 20+ games of Volkare scenarios, including Return Epic, Return Blitz and Quest. Here's my scoreboard up to now:

Please let me share several moments and my thinking for discussions. Your comments are welcome and will be highly appreciated.

I. The usage of distant exploring.

One of the effects of Scouts allows you to reveal a new tile at a distance of 2 spaces. I've seen a comment somewhere in this forum doubting the practical use of this effect. I had doubted it too, until the following scenario in my PBF solo:

I was staying at the east corner, waiting for Volkare to explore the last green tile so that I could explore both of the core tiles (of a Blitz solo) next to me. I had some great spells in hand and hoped to conquer the city within that round.

But Volkare seemed not willing to explore. So I explored the last green tile to the east and hired Scouts in a turn (see image above).

In my next turn, I activated my Scouts to explore far to the north and at the same time played a Will-Focused move card to explore to my south ensuring myself to move next to the city whichever it was.

It turned out to be:

and I conquered it successfully in my next (also the last in round 2) turn.

to be continued...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
II. Instant recovery from a 10-wound KO

In a session report I had joked that anyone could recover from infinite Wounds with a single skill. That was a joke only; no one would ever save Motivation for that.

But this case is real. A black die in the source was my only hope to power Flame Wave (via Magic Talent). But after Volkare revealed his army and a quick calculation, I found it inevitable to be knocked out. I had to change my mind: utilized that black die on another spell, shot a white enemy and two orc summoners, used all other cards to block as many as possible, and then, took 10 Wounds into my hand without hurting my units (save my last hope to the next round).

Then I picked every card back and played them all over again, including Tranquility and Peaceful Moment, except only ... Time Bendingcool

P.S. I started my next round with only 2 Wounds in my deck. But I still failed. It was not so easy to make up for my lack of powerful attacks, not even with such a fancy trick.

P.P.S. Sorry for presenting a game with mistakes. That was just my second game in VASSAL and the first Volkare's Quest in it. I was so distracted by micro-operations here and there that I still kept adding grey enemies into Volkare's army when he hit an indecisive unit.
After finding this mistake, I re-did the game from this point and won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
prograft wrote:
In a session report I had joked that anyone could recover from infinite Wounds with a single skill. That was a joke only; no one would ever save Motivation for that.

Why not? Or Midnight Meditation, or Sparing Power, etc. There are lots of ways to recover from being knocked out, and if that's a possibility then keeping one of those available for that occasion can make a huge difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Why not? Or Midnight Meditation, or Sparing Power, etc. There are lots of ways to recover from being knocked out, and if that's a possibility then keeping one of those available for that occasion can make a huge difference.

Really? Let me keep an eye on such possibilities in my following games.

Is there a live example from session reports or PBF?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
III. Better than a Keep near the portal (V's Quest)

We all know that a keep near the starting portal helps a lot in Volkare's Quest. A nearby village works in similar way.

But in this trip, I got a start even better than a keep - a keep with a unit shrine next to it!

The keep for the way out and the shrine for my way back!

In this turn, I traveled through 6 hexes (starting from the farther keep) yet conquered the shrine for white Heroes, with only two left-over cards and three units.

Can you figure out how?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
- activate Shocktroops to decrease ice mages' attack and armor by one each;
- Thugs' brutal attack 3 made damage 6 to hurt my Shocktroops, and the rest bounced off on my Golems;
- Ice Mages' ice attack 4 (decreased) got bounced off by my Ice Golems.
- Concentration for a blue token for Ice Golems to deliver ice attack 6 to Thugs;
- Golems for attack 2, Rage with red crystal for attack 4, Ice Mages also defeated.

The white Heroes replaced the wounded Shocktroops.

What a wonderful trip back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IV. The best spell in Volkare scenarios

The earliest thread in this Strategy forum is about the strength of Offering/Sacrifice, which I doubted less and less throughout my solo gaming experiences. Up to now I've won every Volkare solo game of mine in which I've picked this spell but one - the third game I tried in VASSAL, which was interrupted by an unexpected computer crashingcry

It's not a big deal to burn through your deck much faster in a Volkare scenario - you always have plenty of rounds to go if you play your turns faster enough. A turn with 3 or 4 crystals' income - what else can I say but wonderful?

I've posted one of my offering games in the session forum. It was not my most epic one, but perhaps my trickiest one. Just a small recap here:

Two keeps, a mage tower and a ruin were all I'd conquered; two AA's and one spell were all the extra I had in my deck. Goldyx, at only fame 26, had to face Volkare in round 4 (the last round) even before the city was revealed. Could she stand a chance?

The answer is YES if the spell is Offering/Sacrifice!

I found it another interesting puzzle. Try if you can work it out before clicking the link to the session report above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
V. Epic moment in Maximal Heat

Maximal Effect+Into the Heat was already found a powerful combo in the base game. With the expansion, it shines even brighter because some cheap units with siege attack are introduced.

You know what I mean, the Scouts!

Under that combo, a unit of Scouts is as destructive as a powered Catapult! As those traditional elite archers(Gunners, etc), they could take two enemies including a dragon each.

So here's how my Norowas took out Legendary, Thrilling Volkare in one clean shot:
(Norowas had a rich stock of crystals, but as you will see below, those crystals were utilized not so efficiently.)

- Play Motivation for 2 cards and a
(wasted).
- Play Maximal Effect, throwing awayInto the Heat to +6 to all units' attacks and blocks.
==> two units of Scouts shot down two white enemies(Freezers, Fire capapult) with
1+6 each.
- Play Concentration for a
;
- Play Sacrifice with
and
to turn
into
for
18;
==> Wolf Riders, Thugs and Swamp Dragon are smashed;
- activate Amotep Gunners with
for
6+6=12;
==> Ice Dragon and Cursed Hags are shot to death.

- Activate Sorcerers for
3+6=9,
==> red Heroes and Orc War Beasts died.
- Play Mana Bolt with
for
5;
==> dead Diggers.

So much for ranged and siege attacks. And then:
Orc Skirmishers:
- two cards sideways to block it;
- activate red Heroes for
5+6=11 to kill it twice.

Prowlers:
- Play Burning Shield with
to block
it as well as
4 to kill it.

General Volkare's ice fire attack 3:
- Activate green Heroes for
5+6=11, more than enough.

At last, I have still two hand cards unused and a lot of mana wasted. I had a Ruby Ring in my deck and hoped it could feed
to all my spells but it turned out unnecessary (and I failed to draw it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VI. Every AA has its own moment

IMO advanced action cards are designed very balanced. Just some are more conditional and others are less dependent. For example, Maximal Effect is very independent, creating many powerful combos with different cards (even a basic move card can be great with it in a maze/labyrinth); while Into the Heat, on the other hand, depends heavily on the quality and quantity of units you own.

Here's another example of a highly conditional AA: In Need.

Having In Need in her deck, Norowas was more than glad to double-wound all her regular units for the green city.

In the next turn, she hired two Altem Guardians in one single turn!

Note: this is a different game of mine than the one above. In this game, I had to attack Volkare four times in a row before I won. Having Guardians in your team you are supposed to play more defensively, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VII. An orc could also be tough

When you are out of luck, even an orc can be tough to kill.

In the following picture, Goldyx had to spend a spell, an AA, two crystals and a black die to kill a single orc in the way back.

After moving into the forest with Refreshing Walk, Goldyx had to stop to handle the irritated Orc War Beasts. Unfortunately, for the remaining hand card, that orc seemed as tough as a draconum.
(all three skills had been flipped, see them between my play area and the discard.)
- Play Dodge and Weave with
;
- Play Flame Wave with

For those who didn't know my retheme: This is the way I play MK:LL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VIII. Siege attack 57 still fails on Lengendary Volkare.

On the very first time I saw the card Altem Mages I couldn't help imagining how epic it would look like to turn all your attacks
into siege attacks

It's a little surprise to me that I hadn't experienced such a moment after so many games until just now, and in a way I didn't expected.

The most common case might be one of the Rings, or having two units of them to have one to feed the other (or even turn all attacks into
!). There are many other solutions.

But this time what I used is a Banner. Banner of Courage assigned to it. Activate it for
, flip the banner to ready it, and then move to challenge Volkare.cool

I was lucky not facing too many resistance problems:
- Blizzard(
8) against Fire Dragon
;
- Circlet of Proficiency calling Hot swordsmanship from offer twice for
4 ==>
4 against Ironclads(
);
- Sorcerers(
) to remove Ice Dragon's resistances
;
-- and them group everyone else to dish out my astonishing

Unfortunatedly legendary Volkare's army has more armor than I can deal, Wolf Riders and Crossbowmen as shown on the upper-left corner escaped.

I had no more cards in my deck and the AA offer (Mana Storm, Diplomacy, Stout Resolve) couldn't provide an action enough for these two survivors.

I lost by a neck to the last orc in Volkare's armygulp

Generally speaking it was too late to find I would have Altem Mages that I should build my deck focusing on normal attacks. After hiring it, the only thing I could adapt was to collect
12 (including from to-be-disbanded units) to hire two units of Swordsmen(how lucky to had them in the offer!) instead of a unit of Altem Guardians.

The next thing I haven't experienced yet but expected a lot is Altem Mages + Bow of Starsdawndevil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip af Malmborg
Sweden
Solna
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful thread, those were some really interesting posts. I usually play multiplayer, and although I consider myself quite good at it the few times I've tried my hand at solo I've not done so hot. Therefore I think I learned a lot from this, might try a solo scenario again soon. Thanks for the inspiration! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.