Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent N.
Belgium
flag msg tools
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I take ground with an armor unit, is it obligatory to do an armor overrun combat or not. Last night I had a discussion with a friend. I took ground with my tanks and came adjacent with his unit. I decided not to do a combat overrun, but my friend said I must do it.
Who was right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Symons
Belgium
Glabbeek
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Armor Overrun combat is optional, as far as I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The basic rules state: "On a successful Close Assault Combat, an ordered Armor unit may move into the vacated hex and may then battle again"

The word may makes overrun and the next combat optional, not mandatory.

You could elect not to do the overrun. If so, then there is not additional combat. You could also elect to do the overrun and NOT do the additional combat. Or, you could elect to do both if able.

The key is that if you do not do the overrun (take ground), you are prohibited from doing the additional combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your missing the real question.

Why on Earth wouldn't you grind the enemy under your tracks and drive on to victory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clexton27
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:
I think your missing the real question.

Why on Earth wouldn't you grind the enemy under your tracks and drive on to victory!

SOME POSSIBLE REASONS:
Opponent possibly has AMBUSH card and you have a single figure armor unit.

You gain an objective medal upon overrun and end the game.

It doesn't fit into your strategy for movement

You are using the armor unit to block the attack on a weaker unit.

Experience is a good teacher...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you make an overrun and get inside the range of an enemy unit that could take you out and win the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why I love M44, easy to learn, but not so easy to master.

It's not the roll and move luckfest that many hex and counter wargamers love to believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
FULL THROTTLE
badge
FULL THROTTLE
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
That's why I love M44, easy to learn, but not so easy to master.

It's not the roll and move luckfest that many hex and counter wargamers love to believe.

No no no, they believe it's a card-and-dice doubly-random luckfest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more reason not to: your armor has no chance in eliminating the unit and a retreat sends it into a vp hex. Next turn he either has to waste an order to occupy the vp hex and then not get to shoot 'cause it's a town, or he shoots at my armor with no hopes of killing it and leaves the vp hex empty. Nasty choice that I've seen happen.

Yep, lots of reasons to pass on it although most of the time you should just take the extra shot (otherwise maybe it would have been better to shoot at range for your first shot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent N.
Belgium
flag msg tools
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, in most cases I would take the extra shot. But now, the enemy unit and my (weakened) unit were into a position that they blocked line of sight for the opponent. If I did make the overrun, and destroyed/retreated the enemy unit, my opponent could make a clear shot on a for me more important unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Duchow
United States
Hartford
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravey wrote:

No no no, they believe it's a card-and-dice doubly-random luckfest.

Bolding and italics are mine, but just have to say that this word definitely can raise eyebrows when one is quickly scanning through posts, LOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.