Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Lowe
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like there is a new place to play games opening up in Victoria. Signs went up for "Saturday Game House" underneath the Sally Anne at Shelbourne and Cedar Hill X. The rest of the signage indicates they will have tea, games, puzzles, mahjong, etc.

Does anyone know anything about this place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting! I know Jack from Interactivity is opening a gaming cafe in September (I think?) but that's downtown... Yates or Johnson, I can't remember. I don't drink a whole lot of tea, but I might have to check it out if I'm over that way.

Did it say when it was opening?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lowe
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fastlane wrote:
Did it say when it was opening?

As of Saturday aft, there was no info. If anything shows up on the door, I will post here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Interactivity Board Game Cafe
Canada
flag msg tools
Small fry

The real deal is here

http://www.ibgcafe.com/

I've heard of this place too, but I think it is more aimed at the Asian community (I could be wrong, please do not quote me). I remember a lot of people playing games in Shabu Shabu nearby in the evenings. Its unlikely they are going to be a board game cafe a la Snakes and Lattes or our place, but I could be wrong.

Anyway the more the merrier, but we will be the best either way

See you September...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Greer
msg tools
Watch for "C Too". Curious Comics is opening a new location mid-September on Broad Street at Johnson. It will be focused on games, and have space for people to come in and play for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cowling
Canada
Salmon Arm
BC
flag msg tools
badge
I think I'm in the headspace to convert some of my library into food and gas.
mbmbmbmbmb
Coseverde wrote:
Watch for "C Too". Curious Comics is opening a new location mid-September on Broad Street at Johnson. It will be focused on games, and have space for people to come in and play for free.

Not great timing, imho. Jack's new place is opening about the same time, and I don't think Victoria can support a fourth (or fifth) game store with playspace. Jack and Michael are the big boys for board games, Yellowjacket has the bulk of the Magic community locked down and Skyhaven has the rest. And Victoria is a town with a GW store, so nobody has a shot at those dollars.

Curious has failed twice in the past in gaming -- first with Dream Haven, their short-lived store in the Paper Box Arcade some 20 years ago, and next with their Hillside location's game space ten years back. And there is much, much more competition now than there was during either of those ventures. (This is why I chose to open my shop in Salmon Arm rather than move back to Victoria and do it there, and why I'm scouting for my second location elsewhere in the Interior.)

I wish Bill and James (are they still the owners?) the best, but I'm unconvinced that this is a good investment for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Heaton
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Come back Bale...
badge
In 'Arry we trust!
mbmbmbmb
Coseverde wrote:
Well, talking with Jack his project is behind schedule

The store is on schedule to open Sept 1. It may or may not have all its parts (i.e. ability to sell food), but should be fully complete within a week or two of that date (it is at the mercy of City officials stamping forms which is always a bit of a d6 in the dark) at the latest. Either way it will be open for gaming and as a store.

Coseverde wrote:
and I've experienced that his attitude is somewhere between lukewarm and apathetic toward anyone outside his private circle of gaming friends.

A little harsh, considering he has been the forerunner of Euro gaming in BC since being the first to import them to the province almost 20 years ago. He also single-handedly supported gaming and all its game groups in Victoria for 10 years before CC and others jumped into the market. The guy is in his 60's and is still very excited about what he does. Considering he also has your Day of Gaming poster in his window, I would say that comment is a bit unfair.

Coseverde wrote:
I wish him well, but his attitude and business model don't seem to be setting him up for the best chance for success.

IBGC will be an entirely different beast to C Too:

-IBGC will be aimed very broadly at the average Joe who has played games from Guess Who -> Power Grid. C Too will be primarily Gamer Games, CCGs and Minis.

-IBGC will be pay to play, C Too will be free open gaming.

-IBGC will be a cafe, C Too will not.

-IBGC will have on hand Game Experts to teach games, C Too will not.

There is plenty of room for both as they will have little crossover in their markets.

Best of luck with your Day of Gaming, hopefully I will try and make it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coseverde wrote:
Well, talking with Jack his project is behind schedule and I've experienced that his attitude is somewhere between lukewarm and apathetic toward anyone outside his private circle of gaming friends. I wish him well, but his attitude and business model don't seem to be setting him up for the best chance for success.

Time will tell. At the least there will be more options for gamers in Victoria.

This is about the most absurd thing I've ever read on this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nanich .
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Though he has not decided to sponsor, I wonder how attacking Jack and shilling for CC on a public forum will help you get him or anyone else on board with you. The gaming community is a tight community, making such comments would not serve to divide it. I shop at both Curious Comics and Interactivity. Both stores attract different crowds.

Thought I do not want to enter into public debate, my experience with Jack is that if you want a game, he will do whatever it takes to get it in or if it is out of print do his best to help you find a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lowe
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slow1234 wrote:
It looks like there is a new place to play games opening up in Victoria. Signs went up for "Saturday Game House" underneath the Sally Anne at Shelbourne and Cedar Hill X.

I drove by this new shop today after being out of town for a number of days. While it looks like some construction is still going on, the open sign was lit and there were games stacked in the window. I will have to walk by to get a closer look soon!

As far as location goes, I am sure this one will get a decent crowd from UVic. I am not likely to go play there, but I am much more likely to go there than any shop downtown due to its close proximity to my house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cowling
Canada
Salmon Arm
BC
flag msg tools
badge
I think I'm in the headspace to convert some of my library into food and gas.
mbmbmbmbmb
billsaints wrote:
A little harsh, considering he has been the forerunner of Euro gaming in BC since being the first to import them to the province almost 20 years ago. He also single-handedly supported gaming and all its game groups in Victoria for 10 years before CC and others jumped into the market. The guy is in his 60's and is still very excited about what he does. Considering he also has your Day of Gaming poster in his window, I would say that comment is a bit unfair.

He was second; Dragonstrike, which I managed in the late 80s and early 90s, was the first Euro importer in Victoria, and the third in the province after Imperial Hobbies and the late Sentry Box West.

Like you, though, I scratch my head at Jack being described as 'lukewarm' or 'apathetic' to anyone or anything. Given the vast quantities that Jack sells of some titles in such a small space, I expect the new shop to be a massive success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Panagrot
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm not wanting to join in on the 'Coseverde' witchhunt, but I need to add my two cents. While I'm not in his 'inner gaming circle', I find that every time I go into his store, he's always very friendly with me and is always down to chat games. He's brought in several games in for me, and given me a discount on any game that he had to order for me. I'm very happy with his services and the atmosphere that he provides.

Even if his store is a bit behind in opening, it doesn't matter. I'm excited to see something new in this town, and wish him the best of luck in taking this risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Greer
msg tools
I have met several people who speak well of Jack, and he is obviously respected in the community. I look forward to seeing his new place open, and continue to wish him success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Heaton
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Come back Bale...
badge
In 'Arry we trust!
mbmbmbmb
Its open now. I talked to the owner, very nice chap. They have a selection of board games, mostly Chinese versions of Gamer games such as Puerto Rico, I'm the Boss, and English Party games, Jenga and so on.

He said his is marketing more at the Asian market (the sign is in two languages (one of which is not French)). He has bubble tea and snacks. They will teach the games as well.

Costs is $3 an hr per person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lowe
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
billsaints wrote:
He has bubble tea and snacks. They will teach the games as well. Costs is $3 an hr per person.

Thanks for confirming my assumptions (generated from walking by a couple of times!whistle) about the store's focus/marketing intent!

I'll have to avoid telling my daughter they have bubble tea though. If she knew there was bubble tea within walking distance of our house, she would never stop asking for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm not wanting to join in on the 'Coseverde' witchhunt, but I need to add my two cents. While I'm not in his 'inner gaming circle', I find that every time I go into his store, he's always very friendly with me and is always down to chat games. He's brought in several games in for me, and given me a discount on any game that he had to order for me. I'm very happy with his services and the atmosphere that he provides.

Though i have not asked him to bring in games for me as i live in Powell River, i do make a point of getting to his store every time i am in Victoria and always make a purchase from him as i am overly pleased with his gaming knowledge, recommendations, and general attitude.

I visit all gaming stores when i can, but Jacks will be #1 on the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brake
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland and Labrador
flag msg tools
mb
I'm hoping to move from the UK to Victoria and very excited to read about competition between euro games shops (I feared I would be lucky to find one!) No sign on the web of C Too though - is it coming? Where would I be able to buy a wide range of Euro games - in case the ibgcafe doesn't happen to have the one I want? I presume ibgcafe is in the game selling as well as space 'rental' business?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Dovauo
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Hey Rick, are you guys still gaming in PR? Looking to get more frequent game nights, not generating enough commitment from our group (only 6-8 guys/gals). More numbers=more games?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidbrake wrote:
I'm hoping to move from the UK to Victoria and very excited to read about competition between euro games shops (I feared I would be lucky to find one!) No sign on the web of C Too though - is it coming? Where would I be able to buy a wide range of Euro games - in case the ibgcafe doesn't happen to have the one I want? I presume ibgcafe is in the game selling as well as space 'rental' business?

IBGC is very good at getting in stuff you want, and will sell you games, as well as let you play in store.

Curious Comics tends to fill in the gaps for me with more of the Ameri-trash, collectible games and a good lot of the miniatures games too.

Skyhaven has a very active CCG scene it seems, as does Yellow jacket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.