BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: NINPO: A ninja based card game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russ Williams
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
This is my very first game design I have been working on for about 7-8 months now. I have been getting A LOT of help from this community. A couple weeks ago is was basically just a game mechanic I was testing. Now it is a fully fleshed out Idea. I am still working on finishing all the cards for the game, so it is not a PnP yet. Hopefully it will be soon.

I would love to know what you guys think of my game design .

**BTW to any ninja enthusiasts out there, some the stuff won't be very accurate to the true historical ninja. I did do some research on ninjas to get a solid grasp on how I could make a fun game around being a ninja.

Okay here we go...

You are part of a secret clan of assassins. You wish to honor them by being the best. You must master the art of the shadow in order to complete missions and take out targets earning honor for your clan.

The game is a deck building game that uses training cards to make skill cards. The skill cards are used to get mission cards that have a honor point value. The player with the most honor is the winner.

Skill Cards
Ability cards are what allow you to complete missions and obtain mission cards. Each ability will have an action that will help you on your mission. Some skill cards will give you stealth or combat points. Others will let you draw cards of give you bonuses for you next mission. Some card will give you a combination of the above. These cards are acquired by spending training cards to get them.

Tools
Tools are a card that is similar to a skill card. They are acquired the same way, but the way that they are played is different. When a player plays a tool card. It stays on the board as a bonus. Certain tools help certain stats.
-A sword will increase your combat points when you play a combat skill card.
-A grappling hook may increase your steal on specific terrain missions.
-A disguise might help you on a mission that is in public.
-A scroll will help you gain knowledge and draw cards.

Training Cards
There are five types of training cards: Terrain, Combat, Stealth, Knowledge, and Tools. Each skill card will be themed around the training cards that were used to make it.
-Terrain = Terrain bonuses
-Combat = Combat points
-Stealth = Stealth points
-Knowledge = Card advantage/ Card draw
-Tools = Permanent cards that stay out on your board giving you bonuses

Each player will start out with 2 of each training card in their deck. If the player does not have all the training cards he needs in his hand to acquire the skill he may place the skills he does have in his training scroll until he has all the training cards they need. A player may also purchase more training cards by discarding 2 cards on their turn and putting the newly acquired training card in their discard pile.

Training Scroll
Sometimes you will not have all the training cards you need to make the skill you want. Your training scroll is a way to set your cards aside so that you may acquire the skill at a later time.
You may only keep 2 training cards in your scroll at one time. If you change your mind about acquiring your skill, or it is no longer available you may empty your scroll on your turn. Both training cards go into your discard pile. This can only be done once per turn.

Mission Cards
Mission cards are cards that are acquired by using ability cards. Each Mission card has an amount of points that is needed to to acquire it. Some are simple while some are very hard to obtain. There are certain conditions on each mission that determine the how to complete missions:
Type of Mission: Stealth or combat. This will determine the type of points needed to get the card. Some missions require you to to use a specific type of point, or either or, or both to get it.
Terrain: A mission could be at night, during the day, indoors, outdoors, or in public. Some skills are specific to the terrain.

Once a mission card has been collected the card goes into your discard pile. Mission cards also have bonuses that can be used like a skill card in your deck.

Shogun Mission Cards
Shoguns are top level mission that are hard to acquire. There are 5 Shogun cards in the game if a player collects 3 of the 5 Shogun cards, you win the game.

Game Layout
-5 mission cards that will be laid out. When a mission has been collected by a player. a new one from the adjacent deck of missions will fill its place.
-5 skill cards that will be laid out. When a mission has been collected by a player. a new one from the adjacent deck of missions will fill its place.
-A pile for each of the 5 training cards.

Player Board Layout
Each player will have:
-Their deck
-Their hand of 5 cards
-Their Training scroll
-Their discard pile

Playing through a turn
A player will start with 5 cards in their hand.
They may chose to do make any of the following plays in no specific order:
-Acquire a training card
-Acquire a skill card
-Play a skill card or tool card
-Complete a mission

Once the player has made of their plays, they discard the rest of their hand and draw 5 new cards in preparation for their next turn.

How to win
The game is over when:
-3 of the 5 training card piles are gone
-All the missions are collected
-All of the sills are collected
-If 3 “Shogun” mission cards are collected

Players will then count up their honor points. The player with the most honor points wins.
if there is a tie, then it will go by who has the most Shogun mission cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a cool game. The Mission cards might be more interesting if they just told the player what the mission was, and the player was allowed to use either stealth or combat, or a combination of the two, to complete it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Actually you are spot on with that. That is one of the things I am currently working on. The cards will have icons that will tell you the criteria for completing the mission. I also wanted to make each mission like a small narrative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps each mission could have a Stealth value and a Combat value, and if the player overcomes either of those, the mission is completed. And maybe the reward (honor?) the player gets depends on how the mission is completed.

If the mission is to steal something or acquire information, getting in and out silently might bring a higher reward than leaving a pile of bodies.

And perhaps there's a certain honor threshold the player has to get to before they're eligible to carry out a Shogun mission. Only the best get to work for the boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.