Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Search, Attacking Settlements, and Leader Reroll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello All,

Is it possible to search these forums? If so, how? I'm sure some of my questions have already been answered.

If a settlement is entirely empty, does it count as an attack or a move to take it? I assume the answer implies what happens to the political track, as well as how it affects the use of an Army die. Whatever the answer, could you site the rule that I'm missing?

Let's say Daylight was played, so Shadow is only rolling 3 dice, but he has 5 leadership. All 3 combat dice miss. Do you reroll 3 or 5 dice?

Let's say I have 10 units, and then a card is played that reduces the number of dice I roll by 4. Can I still roll 5 dice, or only 1? Can you site whatever is leading you to answer in a certain way?

Thanks!

Ira
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
Is it possible to search these forums? If so, how? I'm sure some of my questions have already been answered.

Use the Search function at the top of the page. Just change "Games" to "Forums".

ira212 wrote:
If a settlement is entirely empty, does it count as an attack or a move to take it? I assume the answer implies what happens to the political track, as well as how it affects the use of an Army die. Whatever the answer, could you site the rule that I'm missing?

It counts as a move. According to the rules, the only time you need to attack a space is when there is an enemy Army in it. See the Army Movement rules starting on page 12.

ira212 wrote:
Let's say Daylight was played, so Shadow is only rolling 3 dice, but he has 5 leadership. All 3 combat dice miss. Do you reroll 3 or 5 dice?

You never reroll more dice than you rolled in the first place, no matter what your Leadership score.

ira212 wrote:
Let's say I have 10 units, and then a card is played that reduces the number of dice I roll by 4. Can I still roll 5 dice, or only 1? Can you site whatever is leading you to answer in a certain way?

Since the card reduces the number of dice you roll, you roll 4. If the card said to subtract one from your Combat Strength, that would reduce it to nine, and you would still roll 5 dice. Make sense?

Here is a link to the FAQ: http://www.warofthering.webb.se/

Hope this helps!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your helpful, quick, and informative reply!

Krieghund wrote:

(Taking a settlement without enemy units) counts as a move. According to the rules, the only time you need to attack a space is when there is an enemy Army in it. See the Army Movement rules starting on page 12.


Looking at the rules more closely, I see you are right. Thank you very much!

(I had been playing that it counts as an attack, which made things a bit slower for Shadow, and mustered FP a bit faster, but that's a balance discussion, not a rules question. This was most notable in Erebor/Iron Hill, when the regular in Iron Hill moved to Erebor.)

Krieghund wrote:

Since the card reduces the number of dice you roll, you roll 4. If the card said to subtract one from your Combat Strength, that would reduce it to nine, and you would still roll 5 dice. Make sense?


That makes some sense, but the other answer also makes some sense to me. Can you reference a specific line in the rulebook or the FAQ that supports this?

Also, in what order does the Combat Strength max at 5? For instance, Boromir adds 1 to combat strength, max 5 (card text.) Let's say I have 5 regulars + Boromir, and my opponent plays a card that reduces my combat strength by 1. Do I roll 4 or 5 dice?

It makes the most "sense" to me that "combat strength" is determined before the battle begins, before cards are ever chosen, and maxes at 5. Then, cards can modify combat strength.

I don't really want to play based on what makes the most "sense" to me, because that varies from person to person. I want to play by the published rules, or the published FAQ.

Either way, thank you very much for your reply!

Ira
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
Krieghund wrote:

Since the card reduces the number of dice you roll, you roll 4. If the card said to subtract one from your Combat Strength, that would reduce it to nine, and you would still roll 5 dice. Make sense?


That makes some sense, but the other answer also makes some sense to me. Can you reference a specific line in the rulebook or the FAQ that supports this?

Only the definition of Combat Strength and its impact on Combat Dice on page 13, though that doesn't directly reference your question.

ira212 wrote:
Also, in what order does the Combat Strength max at 5? For instance, Boromir adds 1 to combat strength, max 5 (card text.) Let's say I have 5 regulars + Boromir, and my opponent plays a card that reduces my combat strength by 1. Do I roll 4 or 5 dice?

It makes the most "sense" to me that "combat strength" is determined before the battle begins, before cards are ever chosen, and maxes at 5. Then, cards can modify combat strength.

I don't really want to play based on what makes the most "sense" to me, because that varies from person to person. I want to play by the published rules, or the published FAQ.

The maximum is applied to Combat Strength only after all the factors that determine it have been applied (again, page 13). So in your example, the Army's Combat Strength would still be 5. Your opponent would be better off waiting until you've taken a casualty to play the card.

You cannot determine Combat Strength before the battle begins, since it changes from round to round as casualties are taken and Combat Effects are applied.

Hope this helps.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:

ira212 wrote:
Also, in what order does the Combat Strength max at 5? For instance, Boromir adds 1 to combat strength, max 5 (card text.) Let's say I have 5 regulars + Boromir, and my opponent plays a card that reduces my combat strength by 1. Do I roll 4 or 5 dice?

The maximum is applied to Combat Strength only after all the factors that determine it have been applied (again, page 13). So in your example, the Army's Combat Strength would still be 5. Your opponent would be better off waiting until you've taken a casualty to play the card.


I looked more closely, and I agree with you. From the rules:

Rules, Page 13 example wrote:

Alternately, an army of six Regular units and two Elite units has a Combat Strength of 8, but will still only roll the maximum of 5 dice.


And then also:

Rules, Page 13 example wrote:

Often, Combat Cards and Character special abilities modify the Combat Strength and Leadership rating of an Army involved in battle. In either case, the maximum of five dice can never be exceeded, regardless of modifiers.


It's clear to me now that the concept of Combat Strength is separate from dice rolled, and it just happens that dice rolled maxes at 5.

Krieghund wrote:
Hope this helps.


Yes, thanks!

Do you think we can get this added to the FAQ under the combat section?

I thought that Brave Stand and Daylight would be good examples, but they're the same thing (both reduce dice rolled.) Now that I look more closely, is there any card that reduces combat strength? Ah well, I guess all of this was a wasted thread...

Perhaps if they put out a card in the expansion that reduces Combat Strength and not dice rolled, this won't be a complete waste.

Ira
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.