Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About a week ago an Android version of Hive was released. Today I had a pleasure to try it out (I was surprised to find no thread on that matter here on BGG or on Gen42 Games's site). Now, also non-Apple users can play Hive on their phones! The graphical aspect of the application looks very pleasing - the board and the tiles look nice. The music and the effects are nice as well. Each time you place a new bug, the adjacent ones rotate, as if they danced to the music. I was a little afraid, because not all Android board game implementations look pleasing.

As for now, the application is free (it comes with vanilla pieces). You have to pay for the Mosquito plus Ladybug, and for Carbon tiles (about 0.5 and 1 EUR respectively).

As for the options, you have Hot seat mode, where you can play a 2p game using one device, Multiplayer mode (can search for players online) and Puzzle mode (it works as a tutorial - you have to solve some easy problems that introduce new players to the rules). Regarding the rules, there is a file from the pocket edition added to the game - you can read it to check out how to play the game.

As for the game itself, you use touchscreen to move and place tiles. If you touch a piece, carvings in the background will show you where you can move it to. Haven't tried multiplayer yet, but in Hot seat mode, the reserve tiles can be seen in the upper and lower portions of the screen (luckily they don't obstruct view). You can zoom in and out depending on the size of the Hive.

Generally I liked the game, but some things are a little bothering:

(i) Black is the staring player here (I got irritated trying to start as White for two minutes)

(ii) there is no restrictions to place the Queen as your first piece

(iii) once you have the Mosquito and Ladybug, they always appear in your reserve - it would be great if one could be able to choose the variant (Hive, Hive-M, Hive-L, etc.) with different reserve sizes

(iv) so far, there is no Pillbug available. I hope it will appear soon!

(v) unfortunately, no robot to play against

(vi) there are a few mistakes in the implementation of the freedom of movement rule - Ants & Spiders can't enter wide gates, while they actually should be allowed to do that

(vii) there should be a communicator in Multiplayer mode

If you're curious how it looks like, check this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ABSfYx9whw

IMO, the application is very promising. It will really shine after some minor adjustments. 7/10 for me.

P.S. Made some edits after my first multiplayer game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Fowler
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Svartisen wrote:
I was surprised to find no thread on that matter here on BGG or on Gen42 Games's site
)

There are quite a few posts under the Android versions of actual board games GeekList: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/72020/item/2721643#ite...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A link to the app for those interested: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.