New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
If a card lets an army move 2 or more spaces, can they move through a space with a friendly army and temporarily violate the 10 unit stacking limit?

Can they leave some people behind as they move?

Can they move through a space with enemy units?

Whatever the answer, can you site what you're using to come up with the answer?

Thanks, as usual!

Ira

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
If a card lets an army move 2 or more spaces, can they move through a space with a friendly army and temporarily violate the 10 unit stacking limit?

Yes.

ira212 wrote:

They can leave people behind before they move, but not while they move.

ira212 wrote:

No.

ira212 wrote:
Whatever the answer, can you site what you're using to come up with the answer?

These answers are based on the statement in the rules that Event Cards may violate certain rules temporarily. Since none of the normal movement rules other than the number of spaces moved are mentioned by the card, all other rules are still considered to be in effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick and helpful answers, Krieghund! A couple follow up questions.

Krieghund wrote:

These answers are based on the statement in the rules that Event Cards may violate certain rules temporarily. Since none of the normal movement rules other than the number of spaces moved are mentioned by the card, all other rules are still considered to be in effect.

Interesting logic. If we go with that assumption, then I'm confused about this:

Krieghund wrote:

ira212 wrote:

This probably doesn't matter too much because it's rarely advantageous to do it, but I'm asking because I like clear rules.

In normal movement, you can leave people behind, so why couldn't you do that with a card?

Perhaps you're making a distinction between "move one army two spaces" and "move one army twice" ?

I interpret the card to mean, "move one army twice," which is also precise and clear, because the rules for moving an army one space are precise and clear.

Krieghund wrote:
ira212 wrote:

Yes.

Again, I'm confused. Normal movement doesn't allow you to violate stacking, and the card doesn't say anything about violating stacking, so why do you think you can?

Krieghund wrote:

ira212 wrote:

No.

OK. I agree this is the "right" answer, but I'm wondering what backs it up. If you're saying the army teleports two spaces away (since they can violate stacking and can't leave people behind), then it seems like they should be able to skip an enemy army, too.

Of course, I think they *shouldn't* be able to skip an enemy army, which leads me to think that they *should* be able to leave people behind after moving one space, and they can never violate stacking even on the interim move.

Is there something about this in the FAQ, and if not, can we add it?

Do the game designers review changes to the FAQ, or is it simply that we all entrust a certain player to maintain it? Either way, I'm happy with it. I'm just curious how things get added, and what sort of consensus is required.

This is getting off-topic, but is it possible to change rulings in the FAQ that seem wrong? For instance, the gollum/hobbit guide thing seems really messy to me, and in gray areas, I'd always tend to rule in favor of the FP.

Ira

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
Thanks for the quick and helpful answers, Krieghund! A couple follow up questions.

Krieghund wrote:

Interesting logic. If we go with that assumption, then I'm confused about this:

Krieghund wrote:

ira212 wrote:

This probably doesn't matter too much because it's rarely advantageous to do it, but I'm asking because I like clear rules.

In normal movement, you can leave people behind, so why couldn't you do that with a card?

Perhaps you're making a distinction between "move one army two spaces" and "move one army twice" ?

I interpret the card to mean, "move one army twice," which is also precise and clear, because the rules for moving an army one space are precise and clear.

Yes, I am making that distinction. Your original question said "lets an army move 2 or more spaces", which would indicate an extension of normal movement range. The Army in question would be able to split units off before moving. I do not believe that would extend to moving 1 space, splitting off units, then moving to another space, since Armies may not split off units after moving. If the card indeed said "move one Army twice", I would agree with your assessment. But I certainly would not read "move one Army two spaces" as "move one Army twice".

ira212 wrote:
Krieghund wrote:
ira212 wrote:

Yes.

Again, I'm confused. Normal movement doesn't allow you to violate stacking, and the card doesn't say anything about violating stacking, so why do you think you can?

On page 12 it says, "After moving an Army into a Region, you cannot exceed the stacking limit of ten units." Moving through a Region containing an Army does not violate this rule, only ending movement in such a Region does. Although admittedly I am not as convinced of this now as I was earlier.

ira212 wrote:
Krieghund wrote:

ira212 wrote:

No.

OK. I agree this is the "right" answer, but I'm wondering what backs it up. If you're saying the army teleports two spaces away (since they can violate stacking and can't leave people behind), then it seems like they should be able to skip an enemy army, too.

Of course, I think they *shouldn't* be able to skip an enemy army, which leads me to think that they *should* be able to leave people behind after moving one space, and they can never violate stacking even on the interim move.

I am not saying that the Army is "teleporting" anywhere. It is simply moving 2 spaces instead of 1. Again from page 12: "Any Region entered by a moving Army must be free from enemy units." An Army must enter a Region in order to move through it.

ira212 wrote:
Is there something about this in the FAQ, and if not, can we add it?

The best way to get a question into the FAQ is to post it on Veldrin's site.

ira212 wrote:
Do the game designers review changes to the FAQ, or is it simply that we all entrust a certain player to maintain it? Either way, I'm happy with it. I'm just curious how things get added, and what sort of consensus is required.

To my knowledge, Veldrin checks all FAQ answers with the designers.

ira212 wrote:
This is getting off-topic, but is it possible to change rulings in the FAQ that seem wrong? For instance, the gollum/hobbit guide thing seems really messy to me, and in gray areas, I'd always tend to rule in favor of the FP.

I doubt it. The FAQ has the designers' blessing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.