Dungeon Roll» Forums » General

Subject: Token Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the tokens that act as a companion, I understand their function during Monster phase and I understand that the Thieves Tools act as a Thief face during Loot Phase. But, during the Loot Phase can the other companion tokens be used to quaff a potion(s) or must it be an actual die face?
Thanks and can't wait to get hands on my Mimic Box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The instruction say you will use the token as a die face. So it should work just like a die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
m4rtst3r wrote:
For the tokens that act as a companion, I understand their function during Monster phase and I understand that the Thieves Tools act as a Thief face during Loot Phase. But, during the Loot Phase can the other companion tokens be used to quaff a potion(s) or must it be an actual die face?

Yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies, that is how I was interpreting the rules as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
m4rtst3r wrote:

The treasures that act as a Companion act exactly like a Companion... if you like you could read a Vorpal Sword ability (for example)as "discard this treasure to revive a party die and set it to Fighter. You must use this Fighter right away, and you can do this even if there are no Party Dice in the Graveyard."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And you need to use a party member to quaff the Potion token, correct?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
And you need to use a party member to quaff the Potion token, correct?...

No, you don't. Just like you don't need to use a party die to use a Vorpal Sword... you're spending the token to get the potion effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't gotten the game yet but I would say that yes you need someone or a scroll to drink the potion. The potion disc should be treated just like a potion die face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Haven't gotten the game yet but I would say that yes you need someone or a scroll to drink the potion. The potion disc should be treated just like a potion die face.

This is not correct. You need not spend a die to use a treasure.

The potion treasure acts just like you just spent a die to quaff a potion - you get the effect of the potion without paying anything further (you are paying the treasure)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
rickert wrote:

The potion treasure acts just like you just spent a die to quaff a potion - you get the effect of the potion without paying anything further (you are paying the treasure)

I stand corrected. But it is counter-intuitive in my opinion and needs some focus when teaching the game. All of the other tokens, I believe, that are the same as a die face, act just like a die face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
rickert wrote:

I stand corrected. But it is counter-intuitive in my opinion and needs some focus when teaching the game. All of the other tokens, I believe, that are the same as a die face, act just like a die face.

Well, they all act like the die face - they all give the same effect as the die face.

The thing that might confuse people is that a Potion treasure is the only one that's on a Dungeon die and not a Party die.

Maybe the key is just not to say "they act like a die" and instead say "they give you this effect" or "they give you the same effect as this die face."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schreiber
United States
Waynesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Tolerance for ambiguity is the first step in maturity.
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Maybe the key is just not to say "they act like a die" and instead say "they give you this effect"...

THIS.

But I stumbled into something with trying to figure out how to explain it to my 7-year old nephew. I tried to tell him it was self-quaffing and he looked at me strange, so I just called it a "Hero in a Bottle."

'Hero in a Bottle' stuck.

And I suspect I will use it again. And again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what happens if you use a Potion treasure token to get a Champion but you have no Player dice in the Graveyard? If you change one of your active die to the Champion, that WOULD be the same as having to spend a player die to use the potion treasure token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
m4rtst3r wrote:
So what happens if you use a Potion treasure token to get a Champion but you have no Player dice in the Graveyard? If you change one of your active die to the Champion, that WOULD be the same as having to spend a player die to use the potion treasure token.

I'd recommend against doing that. You'd be better off saving the potion until some other time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Schreiber wrote:

But I stumbled into something with trying to figure out how to explain it to my 7-year old nephew. I tried to tell him it was self-quaffing and he looked at me strange, so I just called it a "Hero in a Bottle."

I'd just say that the character on the card is the person who drinks it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.