Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Dungeon Roll» Forums » General

Subject: Token Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For the tokens that act as a companion, I understand their function during Monster phase and I understand that the Thieves Tools act as a Thief face during Loot Phase. But, during the Loot Phase can the other companion tokens be used to quaff a potion(s) or must it be an actual die face?
Thanks and can't wait to get hands on my Mimic Box!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The instruction say you will use the token as a die face. So it should work just like a die.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
m4rtst3r wrote:
For the tokens that act as a companion, I understand their function during Monster phase and I understand that the Thieves Tools act as a Thief face during Loot Phase. But, during the Loot Phase can the other companion tokens be used to quaff a potion(s) or must it be an actual die face?
Thanks and can't wait to get hands on my Mimic Box!

Yes!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies, that is how I was interpreting the rules as well.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
m4rtst3r wrote:
For the tokens that act as a companion, I understand their function during Monster phase and I understand that the Thieves Tools act as a Thief face during Loot Phase. But, during the Loot Phase can the other companion tokens be used to quaff a potion(s) or must it be an actual die face?
Thanks and can't wait to get hands on my Mimic Box!

The treasures that act as a Companion act exactly like a Companion... if you like you could read a Vorpal Sword ability (for example)as "discard this treasure to revive a party die and set it to Fighter. You must use this Fighter right away, and you can do this even if there are no Party Dice in the Graveyard."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And you need to use a party member to quaff the Potion token, correct?...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
And you need to use a party member to quaff the Potion token, correct?...

No, you don't. Just like you don't need to use a party die to use a Vorpal Sword... you're spending the token to get the potion effect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't gotten the game yet but I would say that yes you need someone or a scroll to drink the potion. The potion disc should be treated just like a potion die face.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Haven't gotten the game yet but I would say that yes you need someone or a scroll to drink the potion. The potion disc should be treated just like a potion die face.

This is not correct. You need not spend a die to use a treasure.

The potion treasure acts just like you just spent a die to quaff a potion - you get the effect of the potion without paying anything further (you are paying the treasure)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
rickert wrote:
Haven't gotten the game yet but I would say that yes you need someone or a scroll to drink the potion. The potion disc should be treated just like a potion die face.

This is not correct. You need not spend a die to use a treasure.

The potion treasure acts just like you just spent a die to quaff a potion - you get the effect of the potion without paying anything further (you are paying the treasure)


I stand corrected. But it is counter-intuitive in my opinion and needs some focus when teaching the game. All of the other tokens, I believe, that are the same as a die face, act just like a die face.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
rickert wrote:
Haven't gotten the game yet but I would say that yes you need someone or a scroll to drink the potion. The potion disc should be treated just like a potion die face.

This is not correct. You need not spend a die to use a treasure.

The potion treasure acts just like you just spent a die to quaff a potion - you get the effect of the potion without paying anything further (you are paying the treasure)


I stand corrected. But it is counter-intuitive in my opinion and needs some focus when teaching the game. All of the other tokens, I believe, that are the same as a die face, act just like a die face.

Well, they all act like the die face - they all give the same effect as the die face.

The thing that might confuse people is that a Potion treasure is the only one that's on a Dungeon die and not a Party die.

Maybe the key is just not to say "they act like a die" and instead say "they give you this effect" or "they give you the same effect as this die face."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schreiber
United States
Waynesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Tolerance for ambiguity is the first step in maturity.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Maybe the key is just not to say "they act like a die" and instead say "they give you this effect"...

THIS.

But I stumbled into something with trying to figure out how to explain it to my 7-year old nephew. I tried to tell him it was self-quaffing and he looked at me strange, so I just called it a "Hero in a Bottle."

'Hero in a Bottle' stuck.

And I suspect I will use it again. And again.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So what happens if you use a Potion treasure token to get a Champion but you have no Player dice in the Graveyard? If you change one of your active die to the Champion, that WOULD be the same as having to spend a player die to use the potion treasure token.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
m4rtst3r wrote:
So what happens if you use a Potion treasure token to get a Champion but you have no Player dice in the Graveyard? If you change one of your active die to the Champion, that WOULD be the same as having to spend a player die to use the potion treasure token.

I'd recommend against doing that. You'd be better off saving the potion until some other time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Schreiber wrote:

But I stumbled into something with trying to figure out how to explain it to my 7-year old nephew. I tried to tell him it was self-quaffing and he looked at me strange, so I just called it a "Hero in a Bottle."


I'd just say that the character on the card is the person who drinks it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.