Subject: A lucky day rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, last night I dusted off my copy of the game for the first time in a while, and played 3-player. I was Frances Wright (2/3/3/2) competing against Felipe de los Reyes and Gaspar de Rivera. Gaspar, playing first, went with a Flute and embraced the Merchant path, setting sail with a full cargo hold and a rumour. Felipe took Rigs and Sails, and failed to land a rumour, so only had one special weapon when he set sail and failed his scouting check. For my first turn, I picked up Long Guns (as a precaution to discourage Felipe from deciding I looked like an easy target if I had a close thing in my Merchant Raid) and two special weapons. Unlike Felipe, I found a nice fat French merchant as soon as I stuck my nose out of port, and spent a special weapon to make sure of the Glory.

Gaspar spent his second turn moving to Santo Domingo to sell his goods for Glory and replace his Rumour, Felipe finally managed to find a Dutch merchant, joining me as a pirate, but, alas, couldn't get enough wealth out of him for a glory point, and moved into Port Royal. I moved to Santo Domingo, pausing just long enough to scout in Tortuga, sinking a local French merchant for more Glory.

I forget the exact sequence after that - Gaspar managed to sell a second triple-demand cargo somewhere else, Felipe managed to find (and sink) a second merchant, this time scoring Glory for it, and meanwhile I picked up The Pirate Stash rumour while restocking in Santo Domingo, and succeeded in proving it true, and sank another French merchant in Santo Domingo (for Glory, but lost a piece of my cargo hold) then got hit by False Accusations after repairing in San Juan, giving me a Spanish bounty, so scouted for, and got Glory from, a Spanish merchant, at which point, with 5 glory on the track and 50 gold and some valuable cargo in my hold, I started heading for home, ending my turn in Tortuga.

Next turn I just sailed home, sold my cargo, and stashed 60 gold to win comfortably, having succeeded at every check I rolled, got Glory from every merchant raid, and got a rumour for the port I was in at the time. The event deck had barely done anything - Felipe got hit by Plague, there was a brief war, a Pardon no-one wanted, and the Dutch Frigate showed up in a distant corner just before the end, but never got to move.

This has to have been the luckiest game of this I've seen or played, and the shortest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
When you say "ending my turn in Tortuga", is that in the sea zone? Because if it's in the port, how could you get home to Nassau and do a port action? Unless you had perfect navigation of course giving you at least one more action - which would be another bit of luck .

I just hope the other two were not new to the game - a string of luck like yours, can make new players not want to try the game again .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played one last night where the string of good luck all fell upon the new player! Which is great news because hopefully we have a convert! In a three player game with two merchants and a pirate, he won as a merchant and neither of us was even close to him in victory points (we had our own strings of luck - all bad).

(It was also the first game played with my just obtained copy of the game!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randor20 wrote:
When you say "ending my turn in Tortuga", is that in the sea zone? Because if it's in the port, how could you get home to Nassau and do a port action? Unless you had perfect navigation of course giving you at least one more action - which would be another bit of luck .

I just hope the other two were not new to the game - a string of luck like yours, can make new players not want to try the game again .

Tortuga sea zone, not the port.

The merchant was new; the other pirate had played before. I emphasised after the game that it was a freak outcome, not at all the way it usually went, but it's not a game that gets played very often anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.