Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Smith
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Hi guys.

I'm trying to look for Heavy Duty plastic card sleeves to use for my Dune CCG cards - and I'm a little new to collecting.

I remember seeing Baseball-card Plastic sleeves when I was younger - you know, those clear thick-plastic case sleeves that screw at the corners and protect the card.

I was wondering if card games use anything similar to that at all, and where I could find them?

I could certainly benefit from your experience and knowledge, here.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear: we're not talking about functional sleeves conducive to gameplay? If you're talking screw at the corners...I don't have any advice myself (but surely a fellow geek does).

If you're talking about functional sleeves for play--and many will disagree with this recommendation--I have had good experiences with Mayday sleeves. I qualify that only because I know that some people have opened packs where the sizing was inconsistent to the point of rendering them useless. I have used standard and premium, and have only gotten consistent sleeves (with the lone exception of some Dixit sleeves I purchased...but only 1 pack in 3 was off, and then only being a couple of mm too small. I found very helpful Mayday's spreadsheet of different card types listed by game and the corresponding model that matches that size.

Other options are Fantasy Flight sleeves, which are better quality (probably around the quality of the Mayday premium sleeves), but are also a bit more expensive. Users who have had bad experiences with Mayday will insist they are worth the price.

Check out amazon for other non-gaming specific cards. You can find a lot of options at coolstuffinc.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smith
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Well, I would think that any sleeve would be functional to gameplay.

As it is, I'm looking into purchasing a very expensive card, and one of the houses I play at has marauding kids.

I know if a preschooler randomly grabs the card and decides to bend it, a typical clear sleeve won't prevent it from being ruined.

So I was thinking of the solid plastic sleeve-cases that hold valuable baseball cards.

Solid-plastic sleeves - that fit Dune CCG cards, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
very expensive card & preschooler ?!?

Pick a different game. A "very expensive card" and a preschooler is a recipe for disaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use clear Fantasy Flight Game sleeves (Silver) for all my Dune CCG cards from Lady Jessicas to Dune Smugglers.

Protects the cards but fine to shuffle & play with. When not in play stored in Monster BCW boxes or ring binders.

You can put the cards in hard cases (usually used for sending cards in the post) - but then you won't be able to play with them. Not practical for large numbers of cards.

Perhaps just keep the cards in a binder away from children.

No need to pay more than £30 for any single Dune CCG card - don't believe the prices on House Atreides. Just watch ebay and be patient
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
You're either born a pirate or not! It's in the blood...
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in the same dilemma when I began playing Anachronism.

The Anachronism cards were high quality, square cut, foil embossed, thick cardstock and sold 5 to a pack for about $5. What was great was that the game was played with just 5 cards and they were not shuffled.

Here is the solution I used: Pro-Mold Mini Snap

Invented by Pro-Mold in 1991 the mini-snap is a two piece snap design card holder that is ideal for trading cards. The mini-snap was the first baseball card case to fit into the standard set storage boxes allowing you to keep complete sets in place with the most expensive cards being preserved in this holder. The mainstream collector's choice for hard plastic protection of collectible trading cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smith
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks a lot!

I just plan to have my Lady Jessica card in a Hard-Sleeve - so I can protect it from the "children of Dune". Hahaha. laugh

But I'll definitely look into using the Fantasy Flight Game sleeves for the other Dune cards, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smith
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Wow, awesome.

That is exactly what I meant. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smith
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
CapnYB wrote:
I was in the same dilemma when I began playing Anachronism.

The Anachronism cards were high quality, square cut, foil embossed, thick cardstock and sold 5 to a pack for about $5. What was great was that the game was played with just 5 cards and they were not shuffled.

Here is the solution I used: Pro-Mold Mini Snap

Invented by Pro-Mold in 1991 the mini-snap is a two piece snap design card holder that is ideal for trading cards. The mini-snap was the first baseball card case to fit into the standard set storage boxes allowing you to keep complete sets in place with the most expensive cards being preserved in this holder. The mainstream collector's choice for hard plastic protection of collectible trading cards.

Do they fit most card sizes?

I'm wondering if a Dune card would fit in there..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Just regular hard plastic toploaders over a regular sleeve will work fine too. (And you can double sleeve the card inside the regular sleeve with a perfect fit sleeve. Protects against spills. Triple sleeving!)

Or printing out a nice proxy so you don't have to worry about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put all your cards in regular card sleeves. Make a photocopy of the card you want protected, and put the color copy (trimmed, of course) inside a card holder with a cheap card also in the slip to keep the weight and size consistent. Keep the original at home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.