Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Letters from Whitechapel» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Chasing Jack the Ripper rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Letters from Whitechapel has been on my radar for a long time. Unfortuneatly, the original game was far to expensive to purchase on the secondary market. When Fantasy Flight Games announced that they would be re-releasing the title I was more then pleased.

Fantasy Flight is well known for their superior components nad this game does not disappoint.

The game pawns are made of wood and have the shape of either a Bobbies' helmet or Jack's top hat. The wretched figures are well sculpted abstracts of the women victim pieces.

The map board is huge and very heavy duty. The art work on the map is both functional and theme setting with blood spatters, photos of eye glasses, and bits of lore regarding the murders around the outside.

The card board components are wonderful. The "Inspector of the day" markers appear as old Victorian paintings which help bring the theme together.

Jack the Ripper's player screens have been redone by Fantasy Flight Games and are a fantastic addition. The map on the screens makes the job of avoiding the cops much easier.

Fantasy Flight Games has not done any changes to the original rules and none are needed. The rules are wqell laid out, easy to understand, and simple to teach.

All in all this is a fantastic game, sure to see alot of play in our home. It is highly recommended.

8 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am considering buying this game. Thanks for your input!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Really you should thank Sir Chester Cobblepot!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While this review really seems to applaud FFG, 99% of everything written could be said of the Nexus edition as well...

Great game either way, but I would've expected you to focus on the differences between the two editions with the way you tout FFG. Even the Nexus edition had a map on Jack's player screen (albeit the SCC/FFG edition improved the contrast to make it more visible...but you didn't mention that).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mfaulk80 wrote:
While this review really seems to applaud FFG, 99% of everything written could be said of the Nexus edition as well...

Great game either way, but I would've expected you to focus on the differences between the two editions with the way you tout FFG. Even the Nexus edition had a map on Jack's player screen (albeit the SCC/FFG edition improved the contrast to make it more visible...but you didn't mention that).


From what I can tell in pictures the Nexus player screen had no flaps on the side...I doubt it stood up very well. The FFG version appears to be a better design.

And I think moving to wooden tokens for the potential victims and patrols is a HUGE improvement. This game plays pretty fast for my group and I believe the original cardboard tokens would wear quickly and be marked considering how often it's already hit the table.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AMartin56 wrote:


From what I can tell in pictures the Nexus player screen had no flaps on the side...I doubt it stood up very well. The FFG version appears to be a better design.

And I think moving to wooden tokens for the potential victims and patrols is a HUGE improvement. This game plays pretty fast for my group and I believe the original cardboard tokens would wear quickly and be marked considering how often it's already hit the table.


I completely agree that it's a better designed screen, but holding the screen up with your fingers wasn't a big deal. The things that make it a better screen are the clearer map, absence of easy-to-rip tabs, and the player aids.

I don't care too much about the wood tokens, but maybe I don't play as much as you do. I probably have 10-15 plays of Letters in, and I definitely don't see an ounce of wear on the tokens. Honestly, I'm surprised that players do have issues with wear. Wood could honestly have the same type of issues, and possible from the beginning. I notice more variations in my wood bits than I do in my cardboard ones.

The clue tokens, on the other hand, are a huge change that needed to happen. Whoever made that decision for Nexus must not have been thinking that day.

Regardless, my point wasn't that the SCC (FFG) edition isn't better (which isn't true). My point was that the review triumphed FFG without actually pointing out any of the improvements...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Really you should thank Sir Chester Cobblepot!


I thanked them for sending me a free copy of the 2nd Edition!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe slap that in a charity fund raising auction on BGG then?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Murdercasket wrote:
Maybe slap that in a charity fund raising auction on BGG then?


My first edition is up for trade, and will also be entered into the UK Maths Trade.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.