Popular Tags: [View All]
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's beautiful summer, at least here in Easter Washington state, and my son wanted to play a board game with me. I wanted him to get outdoors and get some fresh air and sunshine, so we compromised and went outside to play a game of two-player Blokus.

It got me thinking about the different games I could play outdoors on a breezy day.

So what would be your favorite board/table games to play outdoors on a lovely, yet breezy day? In other words, no cards or light pieces.

The ones that I own that come to mind are;
Yinsh
Tzaar
Blokus
Mastermind
Hive (Bonus points for being impervious to the elements)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra: The Dice Game works outside really well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive: Escape from Atlantis! would work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zertz and Dvonn are also excellent.

Also, obviously, chess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Freiday
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think my obsessive compulsive would let me play any game outside. That being said I've been watching Dungeon Roll on Watch it Played! and I think it would work outdoors once it comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sena
United States
Cranston
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive and Zombie Dice were both a hit at scout camp. So was Pirate Fluxx but that won't work well in a breeze.

On a side note, I grew up on the edge of Cheney (Holiday Dr.) it was a great town to be kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost all games by nestorgames work well outdoors.

Most frequently I take Topology as it works with 2-4 players,

and for two players Cairo Corridor is my first pick (both designed by me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age works very well - we even take it to the beach.

Actually most of our outside games are dice games - I guess because dice are not going to blow away and not going to be adversely effected by a bit of mud/water/picnic food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Frey
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quoridor, Quarto, Gobblet, Mixtour and Kulami.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hive Pocket
Logan Stones
Math Dice

These game components are indestructible for any weather or play surface and not-too-small to lose easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of the name of it at the moment, but I've played a dexterity game that involves one person tossing a smallish ball toward a player with a stick. The player with the stick attempts to hit the ball out of the air. If they succeed, they may attempt to advance one space, pushing the other players who have done likewise forward one space also.

There's a variant with a larger ball either being kicked or thrown toward a goal of differing sizes, rather than toward the stick-holding player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By way of actually giving a serious reply, I've found that most dice games work pretty well, unless they have light pieces of paper as well.

One that hasn't been mentioned is Race to Adventure: The Spirit of the Century Exploration Game. It has heavy tiles that endure most light breezes. That's a current favourite of mine to play on the patio of a coffee shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Soto
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickomino. Just eight dice and a few dominoes-like pieces. I've played it at the beach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imprimis5 wrote:
I can't think of the name of it at the moment, but I've played a dexterity game that involves one person tossing a smallish ball toward a player with a stick. The player with the stick attempts to hit the ball out of the air. If they succeed, they may attempt to advance one space, pushing the other players who have done likewise forward one space also.

There's a variant with a larger ball either being kicked or thrown toward a goal of differing sizes, rather than toward the stick-holding player.

That sounds kind of lame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
Treehouse impervious to elements and plenty of variations. We don't tend to play outside much (what with the weather and all) certainly not very serious games, but Zombie Dice also works well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Duke
Beautiful wooden tiles, small game board and plays in about 20 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.