Subject: Castle Dracula - Ways to get more blood than just 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Speed Racer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
How does Dracula get more than 2 blood if he is forced to make a move every turn?

1. Can you play "Hide" while you are in Castle Dracula to stay there one more turn and get more blood on his next turn?

I see no where in the rules that says he can stay there more than one turn.

It seems to me you have to go to the Castle and then leave and comeback somehow in order to stock up on blood...does not make sense.

Thoughts...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also the "Feed" card. But there's just no good way to get a lot of blood, so don't lose it friviously...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Speed Racer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Seems to me, that going to the Castle is just no worth revealing your location. I would think only if you could be there and the hunters are on the other side of the continent would it benefit you.

Maybe if Dracula is in a dire situation where he needs a few blood just to stay alive would it be worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Speed Racer wrote:
How does Dracula get more than 2 blood if he is forced to make a move every turn?

You get 2 blood every time you end a turn in Castle Dracula. You also reveal your location.

You can potentially stay several turns. You can:

1) Move There Normally
2) Hide
3) Play Dark Call

If you are feeling really saucy you can move away then double back.

Each Turn you will gain two blood, breaking evenon the turn you are dark calling.

Of course you will then have been standing still while revealed for several turns, giving the Hunters plenty of time to come running with sharp Stakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you permitted to play an encounter if you hide ? I'd say no, since the Castle Dracula rules are pretty specific about no encounters in the castle.

If not, how is the hide played, as Hide is normally played with an encounter? Is it played face up in this case ?

-T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Whenever you finish your move in Castle Dracula you are revealed. So I would say that you play Hide face up and do not put an encounter on it (per the Castle Dracula rules)

I'm not saying it is a good idea, just a legal one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had a problem with moving to the Castle as Dracula. I find it a good place to lure in the hunters. It actually takes the hunters a while to reach you, since they must go by road eventually. The only issue if if you get boxed in with hold hosts. In which case, you should save your powers, so you don't get the illegal move penalty.

I forget if you can wolf-form move though a holy host or consecrated ground, but if you can, that's a good way to mess with em too.
If the Drac player is smart, and he's saved the correct events, he can make quite a stand. And don't forget about hte permanent +1 combat roll bonus in his castle!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Klempa
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matchstickman wrote:
I would argue that you must play Hide face down and put an encounter on it just as you would at any other time you play Hide and then when you finish your move you would reveal that you are in Drac's Castle again and discard the encounter token. I should think that discarding a possibly useful encounter is the price that you pay for wanting to stay in your nice big castle for an additional turn.

I disagree.
You get the extra Blood when you end the Movement Phase at Castle Dracula. You don't place an Encounter until the Action Phase.
To prove you deserved the Blood you would have to reveal the Hide card(showing you were still at the castle). And since you can't place Encounters at the castle, you could not place one on the Hide card.

My $.02

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myjimbee Darbag
msg tools
I disagree. We had the same problem in our last game and the hide card rule is very clear:

Played facedown like location, with encounter. A Hunter there he must face both encounters.

The rule that should be applied in this situation is the hide card and the location rule is no longer using until somehow his location is revealed. We may think like Dracula is hiding at the forest near the castle or he has send a covered wagon fooling the spies while he is hiding at the catacombs of the castle. So hunters don't know if dracula is still in the castle or he has move away. That is the purpose of the hide card.

Only if there is already a hunter in the castle the rule your are refering and the location rule is applyied:

If Dracula moves into a city (not a sea zone) containing a Hunter he plays the Location card face up (and must battle the Hunter this turn instead of placing an encounter).

Nevertheless it is just my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bungeeboy wrote:
I've never had a problem with moving to the Castle as Dracula. I find it a good place to lure in the hunters. It actually takes the hunters a while to reach you, since they must go by road eventually. The only issue if if you get boxed in with hold hosts. In which case, you should save your powers, so you don't get the illegal move penalty.

You should not be able to be boxed in as it is illegal to place Host or Consecrated ground in the 2 locations (Galatz & Klausenberg) adjacent to the castle or in the Castle itself.

Quote:
I forget if you can wolf-form move though a holy host or consecrated ground, but if you can, that's a good way to mess with em too.

You may not move through a host or consecrated ground with Wolf Form.
mastermemorex wrote:
I disagree. We had the same problem in our last game and the hide card rule is very clear:

Played facedown like location, with encounter. A Hunter there he must face both encounters.

The rule that should be applied in this situation is the hide card and the location rule is no longer using until somehow his location is revealed. We may think like Dracula is hiding at the forest near the castle or he has send a covered wagon fooling the spies while he is hiding at the catacombs of the castle. So hunters don't know if dracula is still in the castle or he has move away. That is the purpose of the hide card.

Only if there is already a hunter in the castle the rule your are refering and the location rule is applyied:

If Dracula moves into a city (not a sea zone) containing a Hunter he plays the Location card face up (and must battle the Hunter this turn instead of placing an encounter).

Nevertheless it is just my opinion.

I don't agree with this, the rules for the hide card are clear, that it should be played as a location, but there is the exception that it must be played face up if there is a hunter in the location.

The rules for Castle Dracula are also very clear in that Dracula is revealed when he goes there and he may not place encounters while there. There are no exceptions to this rule, so in a conflict between the 2 rules Castle Dracula takes precedence and Hide is played face up without an encounter.

The rules for the Castle are explained by the hunters having spies watching the routes to and from the castle, so if these spies have not seen Dracula leaving it is clear that he must still be in the castle. If the spies could be fooled by means of covered wagons etc. then the count would also be able to sneak in to the castle by these means and the hunters could not know he had gone there in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.