Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed M

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
Hello,

We played two 4 player games spanning six hours (three of the four players were completely new to Talisman) using the main game and the Reaper expansion. My group is mainly use to DnD pen and pencil sessions with some occasional board games like Ravenloft and Runebound.

We had only planned on playing one game but we had so much fun we immediately started another one.

I can not stress how amazing it is to play with the Reaper expansion. The cards integrate nicely with the main game and the Reaper is a blast to play. He does not come in play that often but just often and whenever a player rolls a one for movement who could hear the collectively sigh come over the group. The Reaper eliminated one player from each game. Our gaming group consists of guys that had known each other for years so when the person rolled a one for the Reaper and was killed; we just all burst out laughing and could not believe it as the person just sat their in shock.

Both games were competitive and very fun.

The Assassin won the first game and the Dark Cultist won the second.

My advice to new players: Always keep a fate when playing with the Reaper!

The Dungeon expansion has been ordered as our group has now committed to playing at least one game of Talisman along with DnD every time we get together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Reaper adds quite a-bit for such a small expansion, the base game just seems lacking without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauralee Hurst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I love the Reaper expansion and think the game wouldn't be the same without it! (it is true, always have a fate with you)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Street Glider
msg tools
mbmbmb
Reaper is the worst expansion ever created for any game created. that 'roll 1 and die' mechanic is just so random...and from a game based on randomness ; its too harsh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wilzing wrote:
Reaper is the worst expansion ever created for any game created. that 'roll 1 and die' mechanic is just so random...and from a game based on randomness ; its too harsh.

I have seen many posts over the years people asking or sharing which expansion is best, or best to get 1st and Reaper is often toted as the best. I believe you are in the minority. But there are many tastes and opinions about Talisman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wilzing wrote:

Clearly when you play Talisman you play the Necromancer, given your resurrecting of this long-dead thread.

Seriously, though, some people actually enjoy the random harshness, and in any case the Adventure cards of the expansion can be used (and are quite useful!) without using the Reaper himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls