Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Ksenzakovic
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I have now picked up and placed just about all of the versions of Carcassonne on the shelves. Do I get Carcassonne with a few expansions? If so which expansions? The City, Hunters and Gatherers, The Castle, Ark of the Covenant? Too many flavors I only want to buy one so plaease help with insight as to why the version yoiu suggest is the ONE I should purchase. Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne the City is the most elegant and balanced of the Carcasonnes I know (Only basic Carcasonne and Hunters and Gatherers). It refines the scoring mechanics used in earlier Carcsonnes to a sharper point, resulting in a more interesting and skilful game. The division of the game into 3 phases adds extra strategy and the pleasing 3-Dimensional effect of the walls.

It is also unlikely to be expanded further, and is certainly playable without expansions, possibly unlike the others (some players of regular Carcassonne say you must have Inns and Cathedrals, for example.

It is 2-4 players, whereas the other versions go to 5 or even 6, but I think there is probably too much chaos with 5 players anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Hansson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have only played the original Carcassonne which I really like. One advantage with the original version is that there are many expnasions available. I always play with Inns and Cathedrals and Traders and Builders. I would suggest buying the original and if you like it buy some of the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The religious-themed "ark of the covenant" by Teuber, is supposed to combine the best parts of the different Carcassoni. Also it's usually on sale for $11-$13 online. I've only played Hunters/Gatherers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Carlos de Diego
Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne the City is the best.

Regards from Spain,

JC
http://ludere.ual.es/bsk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say H+G, which I happened to play last night with my son (He wanted to play a game with meeples), but overall, I really have to say none of them are all too exciting to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the original Carcassonne with the Inns and Cathedrals expansion. I play that one more often than any of the others, although I enjoy them all with the family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McF
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with the original. Reason being is that you can play with or without expansions combining several different elelments. Inns and Cathedrals is good because it gives you the 6th player. That is the only expansion I own. Next on the purcahse list is the Princess and the Dragon because I really like being able to tell people, "take that!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Appelbaum
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I *love* Carcassonne kiss "regular" -- have not played Hunters & Gatherers or the City, but find that the base Carcassone with Inns & Cathedrals is great and if you also add Builders and Traders you have a really full game with a lot of different tiles, strategies, etc. If I was only going to get one of the extensions, I'd go with Inns & Cathedrals which really expands the original game and gives both a six player option and the "Ubermeeple" that counts for two men and makes fights over cities and fields more complex. Plus it includes a handy drawstring bag.

Builders and Traders changes the game a bit by adding "trade goods" on some of the city tiles that add up to extra points at the end of the game. As I say, I enjoy playing with all three expansions, but that does make the game take longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blanding
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I also think that Carcassonne the City is the best of them all.

The wooden bits are lovely. It's slightly more strategic and more resistant to a run of bad tile draws than the others. The length is just right. And the scoring rules are consistent and avoid the pitfalls of the main version (which farmer scoring rule are we using this time?).

The only disadvantages are that it's more expensive than the original version (due to all the wood pieces) and the expansions don't work with it. As one who has played almost all of the various expansions, I would still rather play the City over the original with any of the expansions.

Of course that's just my opinion.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XIII wrote:
OK, I have now picked up and placed just about all of the versions of Carcassonne on the shelves. Do I get Carcassonne with a few expansions? If so which expansions? The City, Hunters and Gatherers, The Castle, Ark of the Covenant? Too many flavors I only want to buy one so plaease help with insight as to why the version yoiu suggest is the ONE I should purchase. Thanks in advance.

Note that Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers is a standalone game, not an expansion. It's also my favorite and the one I would recommend. imho, it combines the best parts of the earlier expansions. It has good art, an accessible theme for new players and children, easy uncomplicated rules and scoring, and it's just plain fun. The tile combinations promote more interaction as players attepmt to merge fields and forests and river systems (for fishing huts).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stadel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XIII wrote:

I have played all but the The City ... they are all great. I like the base game since it has the most expansions available which you may or may not use depending on the type of game you want to play (Princess and Dragon is nasty! devil ) Definitely get Inns and Cathedrals (allows 6 players), Traders and Builders is also good, but why stop there

Ark of the Covenant is also great as it combines "hunter" play (of Hunters and Gatherers) plus a neat bonus for roads, a roving ark, and some different scoring elements (prophets, temples) ... all-in-all I think it is a bit more strategic than the base version and has nicer graphics, but no expansions.

I would also recommend The Castle, which is a cool two player (only) game in which you only score FINISHED buildings ... good fun.

The Carcassonne games still remain some of my favorite of all time ... check out some of the rules and reviews on BGG ... they may help sway your decision (or buy them all ... they're cheap )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Ksenzakovic
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that H&G is a standalone and thanks for the insight into why you like this flavor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Ksenzakovic
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all! It looks like I am going to go with the base game and add a few expansions later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Warwick Ball
New Zealand
Napier
North Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I own the Carcassonne (the blue box) game with Inns, The City and The Castle. I think it is an above average franchise in general, it looks good and is fun to play.

I like looking at the little detailed drawings on the tiles

Ths Castle is possibly my favourite. It has the best scoring mechanism and some little hidden suprises. It was designed by the highly thought of games designer, Knizier. However its only played by two players.

The city incorporates some incentives to build larger cities (markets) and longer roads (paths). The more diverse the markets and after the path has reached four tiles in length then you get many more points. This increases the competitiveness of the game. There are also other dimensions wish spice up the "middle game" and give you another aspect to look at for strategy.

note: Once you have played a couple of "friendly" games with a new player then and you should start to play a little more "cut-throat" they might get upset. i.e. if you block them off or try to share a big city. I have found that if you say something like "You have to be cut-throat, its the funnest way to play the game, - at least thats what everyone says on the internet!", they usually *click* and start to become just as ruthless!

My advice is to get the Blue Box first the original - no expansions.

Enjoy.

Mur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McF
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AKARed wrote:
If I was only going to get one of the extensions, I'd go with Inns & Cathedrals which really expands the original game and gives both a six player option and the "Ubermeeple" that counts for two men and makes fights over cities and fields more complex. Plus it includes a handy drawstring bag.

It is actually Traders and Builders that comes with the cloth bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend getting the original Carcassonne, and then buying a couple expansions, particularly Inns/Cathedrals and Traders/Builders. Then for variety you can later get some of the really cheap $4 expansions, such as King/Scout and Count. The flexbility of original Carcassonne with a variety of expansions for mixing/matching is optimal in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Appelbaum
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
My bad -- kchunks is correct; it's Traders & Builders that comes with the bag. But I still would go with Inns & Cathedrals first if I was only going to buy one of the two. Me, I bought them both the same day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you've already made your decision, however The City is the best of the bunch by far, IMO.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.