Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello All!

This may seem like a stupid question - but what is the best way to make English language past-ups for cards in another language? I could take a stab at it but want to do it in the best way without ruining the cards...

Advice on what kind of paper, adhesive, etc...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would NEVER paste-up the originals. Get a deck of playing cards, and put the paste-ups on them. Then if you mess something up, it's no big deal, you get another card, and do it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Attach the text blocks to the cards with double-sided Post-It material (or single sided Post-Its folded over). Then sleeve the cards to keep everything in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the cards are standard size, I'd say use card protectors--preferably opaque one. Print your "paste up" on regular paper, insert card and paste up in the protector. You may want to fold a small part of the paste up over the edge of the card to hold it in place, but often static electricity is enough to hold in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3m makes a post-it glue stick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never heard of penny sleeves. Where can I find them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Frederick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Indeed, 3M's Post-It Glue Stick is great for paste-ups. Apply it to the full back of the paste-up and adhere. It stays on like it's a permanent part of the card (very shufflable, etc.), but a fingernail to a corner can peel the whole thing off, leaving the ariginal completely unharmed. In my experience.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/office/mounting/nod...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Penny sleeves are just cheap card protectors. They're usually sold at 50 for 50 cents, thus they cost a penny each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should find lots of info in my GeekList on making player aides and paste-ups:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Meyers
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I print all my cards for my prototypes off of my inkjet printer and then laminate them. This allows you to make the cards whatever size you'd like. The two processes are...

1. If you need a design on the back of your card, then use regular printer paper. Print fronts and backs and glue them back to back. You can then buy 3 mil self-adhesive laminating paper and insert the paper in between and seal. Cut them out and you're good to go.

2. If you can have blank backs, then you can use 100 wt cardstock. Just print fronts and laminate as above.

You can also buy corner rounders from most craft stores, which will take the hard corner off of the cards – it's a slow process since there are 4 corners to each card, and a bit tricky using on laminate, but yields a fantastic looking product.

Cards will be about 40% thicker than regular cards but can be shuffled and will feel very similar to playing cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Bee
United States
Marin County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made card paste-ups using several different methods:

1. Print the paste-ups on Avery #8375 (or #8395... don't have them in front of me right now) name badge labels and then affix them to standard-sized playing cards. These labels fit PERFECTLY over a playing card.

2. Print the paste-ups on high gloss brochure paper (or glossy photo paper) and then spary glue them to either a standard playing card or the original game card. The glossly paper looks just as nice as a playing card, and wears better than other papers.

3. Use method #2, but use a less permanent method of affixing the paste-up, like the Post-It glue stick mentioned above, and then put the cards in protective sleeves.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used Avery 3383 Sticker Project Paper and stuck them onto old unused CCG cards (of which I have 3000 or so!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.