Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this game yet, but it looks intriguing, and, given some more thought and research, I might get it. Hoever, I've had one nagging question ever since I first looked at the rules-breakdown. (And considering that the designers are on BGG, this will probably be easy!!)

At the end of the game, after killing the Shadow, you get the bounty of 40 gold to be divided into the shares. Why? Do you buy anything after that point? Do you need X amount of gold to win? Why do you bother getting anything right when the game ends?

If someone could clear this up for me, I'd be much pleased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Gold = Victory points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Does that mean that you do not have to kill the Shadow to win? I mean, if gold is VP and you've just gotten crap-loads of gold, you don't necessarily need to kill the Shadow to have the most, especially if the guy who does kill him has his shares spread out pretty far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, you need not kill the shadow to win. When the shadow is killed (and the 40 gold bounty distributed), the player with the most gold is the winner. Usually this will be the person who killed the shadow, but not always. It is possible to "inadvertantly" defeat the shadow by an incredibly lucky guess, while others have much more gold that you (which would be unlikely).

Or you can defeat the shadow knowing that if you do so, someone else will win (which I have done before).

It is also possible to win the game by defeating the shadow, even though your hero has no shares remaining, provided you have more gold than any other player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes an amazing amount of sense now. I'd gotten the impression that killing the Shadow won the game for you. Now I know better, thank you everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Whitfield
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with the optional rule of putting a piece of pie on the shadow anytime a character goes on a hunt and is unsuccessfull. Anytime a hunter dies a piece goes on the shadow. After 8 pieces then the shadow has prevailed and no one wins. The reason for this is simple. If someone is just rolling in gold but not trying to defeat the shadow then others can prevent anyone from winning by getting hunters killed. This keeps the game going in the right direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.