A Brief History of the World» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Tips and Strategies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just picked up the iOS version but not played the game before, I was wondering whether anyone had any general advice for a newbie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Corcoran
United Kingdom
Buckingham
Bucks
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha, me too!

I guess the beauty of this is that it is situational, where you are in the pecking order, can you get your next empire down early and pick up bonuses in different areas, should you use an event now or wait for later, keep conquering or fortify.
As the AIs keep beating me the main advice so far is don't ask me for advice

Edit: typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Try to get early civilization when you have lots of pawns on the board.
- Try not to be the leader before the last turn (so you can avoid taking Japan).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Yojimbo252 wrote:
Having just picked up the iOS version but not played the game before, I was wondering whether anyone had any general advice for a newbie?

Know the big civs: Rome, Mongols, British Empire and one or two others, and when they arrive. Don't let anyone profit too long from the huge influx of meeples these guys bring.

Similarly, do your utmost best to deprive someone of his Mastery over a given region.

Don't be afraid to hide in continents overseas. These are often hard to get to, and the points they bring in do add up over the time it takes to finish the game.

Do use your special abilities: players tend to forget them, but they are there for a reason.

Don't ever forget that expansion is not everything; sometimes using a soldiermeeple to build a fort in a strategic place is a great way to hold on to a plot of land. Overruns cannot happen through a fort, and the defender (= you) gets to roll two dice instead of one.

Sacrifice a virgin to the Fates to secure good fortune in rolling the dice.

Wonder why on Earth people are still playing Risk with this available.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Naval Power" is a good event card for the last epoch, especially if you're in first or second place. You're likely going to be stuck with Japan or the United States, both of which lack access to an ocean. Naval Power gets around that, and makes a sea invasion like a land invasion (no -1 die for the attacker).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Last in one round, first in the next is a good way to maximise your previous era score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't waste your time putting a fort or a Wonder in the Levant before about era IV. Some jerk with a minor empire will just come along and steal it, and it's the only route for the Arabs to get out of their starting space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:
Don't waste your time putting a fort or a Wonder in the Levant before about era IV. Some jerk with a minor empire will just come along and steal it, and it's the only route for the Arabs to get out of their starting space.

This is more personal preference than statistically superior, but I think twice about fortifying anything if I can score more points by expanding. A determined attacker can take any position. The lands most likely to be left alone are the ones that are out of the way: places like Sumatra, the Ghats and Scandinavia. But some of those have empires or kingdoms show up in them, so even there your occupation won't last forever.

And then what's out-of-the-way to you might not be so out-of-the-way to another player. An AI player attempted a sea invasion of Sumatra for no apparent reason. (It failed, thank goodness.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Cooper
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember the power of an empire that plays early in the turn order even though it may seem relatively weak. If you already have a good spread of armies across the board then you will score them all again before opponents have time to destroy them. And for the same reason don't let a well spread opponent get there hands on an early play empire. Russia for example can seem like a weak empire to leave to the points leader but can well lead to victory before anyone else has the chance to whittle them down before final scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schlatter
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
It's The Winslow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Archvile wrote:
- Try to get early civilization when you have lots of pawns on the board.
- Try not to be the leader before the last turn (so you can avoid taking Japan).

But I just won in a six player game (against all easy AI's, mind you) taking Japan! (I was able to do the "last in one epoch first in the next epoch" effect quite well however.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delesdernier
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
Wonder why on Earth people are still playing Risk with this available.

Enjoy!

To be fair, Risk (Revised Edition) scratches the risk itch in a shorter period of time than Brief History of the World and is a pretty decent game. But I see where you're going with that statement and fully agree...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks all for the comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested in seeing the rankings of all the nations per epoch. The first epoch in particular seems like it would be easy to rank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
I'd be interested in seeing the rankings of all the nations per epoch. The first epoch in particular seems like it would be easy to rank.
I was thinking just the same thing.

After only a few plays against the AI I have some ideas but I'd really like to hear from experienced players first before embarrassing myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Bush
United States
Narberth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Learn where the next set of kingdoms is going to pop up. Try not to conquer those territories.

Forts seem suboptimal to build except in difficult terrain where you have a city. Don't try to conquer forts in difficult terrain unless you have card support. On the other hand, those are prime spots for diplomacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.