Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all...I own the game. I brought it to the session, because a number of players requested playing the game. I had only played it one time before, and looked forward to expanding my framiliarity to the game. Alas, it seems that everyone there was busily involved in something else, so young Stephen asks for a game, which I accept. (He is well versed in "Memoir '44", and sharp as a tack, to boot). By blind draw, he was the Romans (Syracusians), while I was Carthage.

Now mind you, I'm 55 yrs old and have been fiddling around with tactics and manouver for decades, and have always felt that I have a decent grasp on the subject. So what does Stephen play as his first command card? "Darken the Sky"! He rolls big, and absolutely devastates my center and a good portion of my right. Hits and retreats abound...mostly hits. Before the first full game turn is over, my army is crippled beyond salvation. You may call it luck, but I say he was brilliant in making that card his first play.

From that point, he was able to hold off my right, and shift his center and right toward my left, and he knew just what to do...and did it with aplomb. Final score...5 banners to 1.

Was there luck involved? You betcha! (Initial cards drawn, dice rolls). But like any good general, Stephen knew what his assets were, and how to use them. I'm not embarrased. (I wanna rematch).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Something similar happened to me playing my nine year old son!!

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't count those kids out because of their age. I lost to a 4th grader in chess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh, let me see if I follow this- you were playing the first scenario. The Syracusans move first in that scenario. And his VERY FIRST card was 'darken the skies."?????

But there is no movement with that card, right?

So what was in range for missile fire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it was the 2nd turn. Bows have a range of 3, though...and like I said, he rolled big. I wasn't keeping notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.