Hide
9 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Simultaneous Firing vs Jan Ors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lando
msg tools
I am pretty sure that I have the interaction of simultaneous firing and Jan Ors, but I wanted to make sure.

Rebels VS Imperials

Vader shoots Jan Ors at PS9 before Wedge shoots Vader at PS9. Jan Ors dies from the Vader attack. Because Jan Ors is removed from play at PS9, before she can attakc at PS8, Wedge cannot use Jans extra attack dice.

This is correct, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. She does not benefit from the simultaneous attack rule since PS 9 is being resolved. When Wedge attacks she is not available to boost his attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Kua
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is interesting, I'm under the impression from reading her card that Jan triggers when Wedge attacks. Which is at PS9, which, technically means the same timing as vader?

Does the trigger condition mean Jan's PS8 isn't the factor here?

If I were to take a thought experiment, and say the rebels have the initiative, wedge firing first would have the boost, and vader later killing Jan, are you going to say that wedge had one dice too many why he attacked vader? I could be wrong but Seems to me the simultaneous attack rule allows for both attacks to be resolved as they were, before any results changed the game state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antares CD
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first responder has it right.

The Simultaneous Attack Rule (page 16 of the rulebook) only comes into play under all of the following conditions:
-The ship in question recieves enough damage to be destroyed.
-The ship in question has a PS equal to the PS step being resolved.
-The ship in question has not yet attacked.

If all 3 conditions are true, then instead of removing the ship from the board, you leave it in place and resolve all the damage card effects, if any. Once the ship has made its attack, it is removed from the board. This last point is important because if you have two ships at the same PS value and one is under the effects of the Simultaneous Attack Rule, you will want to attack with the other ship you control first if the one that will be removed has a benificial effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antares CD
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FrutigerSans wrote:
This is interesting, I'm under the impression from reading her card that Jan triggers when Wedge attacks. Which is at PS9, which, technically means the same timing as vader?

Does the trigger condition mean Jan's PS8 isn't the factor here?

If I were to take a thought experiment, and say the rebels have the initiative, wedge firing first would have the boost, and vader later killing Jan, are you going to say that wedge had one dice too many why he attacked vader? I could be wrong but Seems to me the simultaneous attack rule allows for both attacks to be resolved as they were, before any results changed the game state.

In the case of Vader attacking before Wedge, when Jan takes enough damage to be destroyed, they are immediately removed from the board. Then when Wedge has his turn to attack, Jan is no longer present and can't provide their ability.

In the case of Wedge attacking before Vader, Jan is still on the board and may therefore provide their ability for Wedge. Then when Vader attacks, Jan is destroyed and remvoed from the board.

There is no confusion here, no contradction, and the Simultaneous Fire Rule never comes into play.

If Jan was PS 9 or if the ship being destroyed by Vader was Wedge (who is PS 9) then the Simultaneious Fire Rule would come into play because the 3 relevant conditions would all be in effect.

The Simultaneiou Fire Rule very rarely comes into play (although I have seen it happen - in fact, I've seen a true draw because the last two ships destroyed each other).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is similar to if Vader was attacking Wedge and did a critical to him that prevented him from rolling dice during his next attack. Even though the attacks are simultaneous, the critical would keep Wedge from firing.

I had posed a similar question about Howlrunner in a different thread. If a skill 1 Pilot kills Howlrunner, she is removed before her skill 1 pilots fire back so they can not use her ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd concur with the general sentiment here. Jan's ability is affected by the Simultaneous Fire rule same as any other - if she's in play when Wedge starts his attack, she can give the boost, but if Vader destroys her she's removed from play immediately.

More examples here: http://teamcovenant.com/buhallin/2013/04/04/simultaneous-att...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

"Simultaneous Attack" is often a bit misleading, especially in cases like this. It's best to think of it is a "Return Fire" rule or something, since there's not technically anything simultaneous about it.

EDIT: just had a peek at Buhalin's linked blog above--he says the same thing, though in a bit more detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Kua
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
fair enough, thanks all for clarifying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.