Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Pytlarz
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten to the point where I own at least one or two games of each 'type', meaning things like German-style Euro, deck building, etc etc. I'm starting to have trouble identifying new games that do something different enough from something that I already own.

For instance, I recently got Myrmes and unloaded it after one play because my friends and I decided it was too similar to things I already owned, and wasn't as good to boot.

I'll be heading to Gen Con with money to burn, and I want to be careful about going freaking crazy and ending up with a bunch of games I'll never play. Suggestions I'm looking for are types of games that I'm missing from my collection. For example, I realized the other day that I don't own a 4X game, at which point I promptly bought Eminent Domain.

I'm planning right now on buying Mage Wars with some expansions, because there isn't a game that does anything like that in my collection right now and we played a demo at our FLGS with great success. Anything else I should be on the lookout for at Gen Con? Anything that is getting a lot of hype that I should shy away from since it would be too similar to something else I own?

I really appreciate anyone taking the time to respond, you'll be helping me save hard earned money!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have any deduction games, take a look at Letters from Whitechapel.

Otherwise here are some newer games worth checking out:

Relic
Yedo
Terror in Meeple City
Alien Frontiers
Clash of Cultures
Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Thanks!

A pub style game. I have played it with two different sets of people who came away with wanting to buy their own copy after we kept playing it over and over. We played the game 3-4 times in a row since the person in question kept wanting to play it again.

Hanabi

A unique co-op game where you can't look at your own cards and thus you must rely on your teammates to give you clues, which they may or may not be able to do. Recently won a German award for games best to promote the hobby.

The previous two are dirt cheap, as in both can be bought online for under $20 or right around there.

You don't have a tile placement game. Samurai is a classic. Four pages of rules so it is rather streamlined. It is rather abstracted however. Suburbia also has four pages of rules. It does however have much more integration of theme. Possible downside is all of the player's areas are inter connected despite being separate so players will have to keep track of what other players are going. Some people aren't fond of the secret goals, but I've had little issue with them. Samurai is a cleaner design overall, but I don't think I could pick between the two just yet although I'm a sucker for theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pytlarz
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent suggestions!

My FLGS is actively annoyed with me for how many times I've asked them about Robinson Crusoe, I'm all over that one . Hopefully it will be in when Z Man says, on August 8th. Hanabi has also been on my list for awhile, I should pick that up now that it's in print again.

Suburbia and Letters from Whitechapel look fantastic and very different from anything I have, that is exactly what I was looking for! I wonder if Letters is new enough that FFG would be demoing it at Gen Con? I've also heard good things about Clash of Cultures and I'm not sure I have any civ-building type games quite like that.

I may have to rephrase my goal. I'm clearly not going to save money! So I'm trying to keep myself from spending money on games I won't play instead .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Games which are very unique (and not on your own list yet) are:

Primordial Soup

Rapa Nui

Dungeon Lords

Keyflower

Power Grid

Thebes

Especially Primordial Soup is something which isn't too close too anything else I know, and it's a very original and fun game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.