BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Confessions of a Boardgame Potato rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: confessions [+] [View All]
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most enthusiastic of us can get lost in the hobby, spending even more time on the sidelines than we actually do playing games. I admit, I certainly do. Is this a good thing? For me personally: probably not.

Confessions of a Boardgame Potato

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cynthia Landon
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed this one. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant blog entry Mario! I feel similar sentiments and was mentioning it to my gf just this weekend. I think your experience is not uncommon. I also think it is a much bigger topic than just board games. There is so much media to pay attention to these days that a person can spend significant amounts of time on the periphery of any given subject. There is so much content available now about any given topic or activity that people (especially those given over to obsessive-compulsive hobby habits) can easily end up sacrificing more time that they could have devoted to the engaging in the actual stuff of the topic or activity of itself.

I think you are right to recognize this creeping state and take positive steps in the other direction. I think more people are coming to realizations like this. I know I am. My resolution to this state of my gaming obsession is to make a point to get off my *ss and join in some local board game nights at some of my FNLGSs. Especially since most of the people in my normal social circles aren't gamers. It is so easy to come home after a long day's work on a Wednesday, eat dinner and then plop down on the couch with my wireless laptop, while my gf watches television, and then proceed to geek away on BGG for a couple hours, but that's exactly what I shouldn't be doing when it is the gaming that I claim to be interested in!

So thanks for that blog entry and helping me resolve to spend less time on the geek and other peripheries and more on actual gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent and thoughtful article that probably hits home for many of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mario,

Thanks for the article. I agree with points about it, but I disagree with the theme you have about wasting time being a consumer of content versus being a producer of content. Taking your point if everybody was as prolific as Tom Vasel his work would begin to lose meaning and we would be deluged with content. There is only one Bill Gates out there, and that is because you only need one standard OS to ensure a level of quality. For boardgaming BGG is an excellent resourse, well programmed, supported, and organized that lets everybody contribute some content and has a few stars out there. In the end noone is a failure if they failed to achieve world peace, they are a failure if they caused more harm to other people than they provided good.

Just my $.02

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Irizarry
United States
Unspecified
Alabama
flag msg tools
Is not everything about playing only. I enjoyed all the areas of the hobby. That's what a real BGG should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Y.
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead on.

Kinda weird though - I didn't know other people got that sick feeling when all you've done is read game reviews/strategies for the past few hours...

Insightful, Mario. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.