Popular Tags: [View All]
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps someone could help me. I have rather limited space, certainly no
gigantic dinning tables, but I must confess I've felt attracted to miniature gaming for ages.

Back to the question, I'm looking at a couple of sets of rules in particular:

- Nuts , from Two Hour Wargames
- Field of Glory
- De Bellis Multitudinis

Can anyone help with typical table requirements for the above games? I'm not looking at the extremes, ie the mega-battle and the tiny-battle, but what would an average battle require.

Thanks for any help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally these rulesets should specify the game table requirement, but the archetypical wargame table is 6 by 4 (feet)

Usually you can get by with a smaller table in tactical level games like Saga and need a bigger one in sweeping large battle games like Black Powder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Johnson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know Nuts but I've played the other two. Both would normally use a 6x4 table, but you can play a reasonable game of FoG on a 5x3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll join the chorus. Most rule sets assume a minimum table size of 4 by 6. Obviously you can make do with less space in a pinch, but that's a good rule of thumb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about DBM, but DBA is small, a lot smaller than 6x4.

Also if you can play with smaller scale miniatures, that will obviously allow you to scale down the table (eg use 10, 6, 3, or 2 mm figures).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
I don't know about DBM, but DBA is small, a lot smaller than 6x4.

Also if you can play with smaller scale miniatures, that will obviously allow you to scale down the table (eg use 10, 6, 3, or 2 mm figures).

Agreed.

I know DBA is 2ft squared. I will look at DBM tonight.

Nuts! is a 3ft squared board I use 15mm figs at that scale and it feels very spacious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One blog that you should take a look at is Shawn Travers. "INVESTIGATING FAST PLAY (LESS THAN ONE HOUR) SMALL SCALE (A 2'X2' BOARD) ANCIENT RULES. REPLAYING SAME SCENARIOS WITH DIFFERENT RULESETS TO SEE HOW THEY GO."

http://shaun-wargaming-minis.blogspot.com

I'm a big fan of kitchen table size games (that is, 3'x4' or smaller). Here are a few I've found:

Saga Dark Age skirmish rules designed for a 3'x4' table and 28mm miniatures.

I don't have Nuts! (no smart-ass comments! ), but most of the Two Hour Wargames are designed for 3'x4' or smaller tables.

Field of Glory, I think is a 4'x6' and DBM is about the same.

Most of the Song of Blades and Heroes skirmish rules are designed for 2'x2' table.

I like Chipco Games rules. Most of these can easily be played on a kitchen table with 15mm figures. My favorite of their rules is Days of Knights. Longbow range is 10", so if you have a 2' deep table, you're OK. It's probably best to have 3'-4' wide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jeneki
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:

I've done this before. Use a smaller scale of miniatures, then half the movement, fire ranges, etc. If the game measures in inches, an easy conversion is to use centimeters instead.

Also remember to scale down the base sizes to match, otherwise you can get some unexpected results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
this

Quote:
Most of the Song of Blades and Heroes skirmish rules are designed for 2'x2' table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:

Good point. For example, the horse and musket period rules Volley & Bayonet use 3" wide bases and a 6'x8' table. But, using 6mm or 2mm figures allow you to cut the distances by 1/2 to 2/3, allowing you to play Gettysburg on a 3'x4' or smaller. The only problem is that some games have small movement rates so that cutting them in half can get a bit fiddly. Volley and Bayonet's infantry movement rate is 12-16" per turn (time scale is 1 hour/turn), so even cutting it in half or using centimeters isn't hard.

Another advantage of smaller figures is that your terrain is smaller which saves you storage space. For 6mm and 2mm, I use loose lichen for woods and Monopoly houses for buildings, which are easy to store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pulp and Swashbuckling games can be played on 2ft x 2ft, games like .45 Adventure: Crimefighting Action in the Pulp Era or Savage Worlds.

3ft x 4ft (big enough for a slighty larger Pulp or small skirmish game)
3ft x 5ft
4ft x 6ft (common size for use with 15mm, DBM, Flames of War, etc.)
6ft x 8ft
5ft x 9ft (the size of a ping pong table)

Note: 6ft is about the widest practical table, because most players will have trouble reaching more than 3ft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for the help guys, I never realized there were so many miniatures players in here!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Johnson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you're in Edinburgh you might want to check out the Wargames club. As it happens, they're running their annual show this Saturday.

http://seswc.co.uk/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Horner
United Kingdom
Forres
Moray
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I use Peter Pig PBI WW2

"A set of WW2 company level rules. The game is played on a 4 foot by 4 foot grid, split into 6" squares. The game uses about 80 figures and a few tanks per side. We think they are great but then we would say that wouldn't we! there is no measuring as the grid takes care of that. This allows shooting to be directed at a square rather than at "that man there". There a frequent competitions and show games of PBI that you can see."

I made my own board from 9mm ply painted with textured paint and panel pins to mark the corners of the 6" squares so easy to measure ranges etc.
Stands against a wall when not in use.

Very good games, lots of fun and not that expensive due to low figure density but satisfying enough to look at.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
jackster111uk wrote:
Hi, I use Peter Pig PBI WW2

"A set of WW2 company level rules. The game is played on a 4 foot by 4 foot grid, split into 6" squares. The game uses about 80 figures and a few tanks per side. We think they are great but then we would say that wouldn't we! there is no measuring as the grid takes care of that. This allows shooting to be directed at a square rather than at "that man there". There a frequent competitions and show games of PBI that you can see."

I made my own board from 9mm ply painted with textured paint and panel pins to mark the corners of the 6" squares so easy to measure ranges etc.
Stands against a wall when not in use.

Very good games, lots of fun and not that expensive due to low figure density but satisfying enough to look at.

Cheers

Everyone I show PBI scoffs at the squares, and then plays a game with me and remarks how well the squares actually work. I love Fireball Forward (and CrossFire before that) as well as stuff from Too Fat Lardies, but always come back to PBI. Should've mentioned I game in 10mm and resize the squares down to 4" each, which fits nicely on my 34" wide table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DBM has been superceded by DBMM.

DBMM plays fine in 25mm on a 6x4 using about 200-240 AP with the "200" variant in the back of the book.

In 15mm you use 2/3 of the space so about 4x3 or even 3x2 if you don't need wide flanks for cavalry type armies.

The "100" variant uses even less space. 4x4 for 25mm is excellent.

The DBA rules are simpler, and call for a 2x2 square in 15mm and 3x3 or 30"x30" in 25mm, but if you have the space a bit larger gives more maneuver room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Saga

My favorite miniatures ruleset in years. Works on a smaller table and each side's forces is typically 20-40 miniatures, so relatively easy/fast/inexpensive to get started.

Worth a close look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambush Alley Games Force on Force and Tomorrows war are meant o be played on a 4x4 table area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ansbach wrote:
+1 for Saga

My favorite miniatures ruleset in years. Works on a smaller table and each side's forces is typically 20-40 miniatures, so relatively easy/fast/inexpensive to get started.

Worth a close look.

Yeah, Saga is played on a 4x3 table. Very manageable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ansbach wrote:
+1 for Saga

Emphasis mine. I sense a trap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many more links at:
hmgs.org

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.