Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
500+ plays! I have to assume that includes matches against AI?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"It's possible to drag on for more than 5 hours on a few occasions..."

A few occasions?

You sir are much a much faster Titan player than anyone I play with. (Not surprising after 500+ plays. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the game, but the long, indefinite play time and the player elimination took this game out of rotation for me. Great review!
-ryanjamal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McKinley Hamby
United States
Charles Town
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some constructive criticism...

Who's version?

There are three different printings and at least two computer version. The first was done by "McAllister & Trampier". Then Avalon Hill printed it. There is still a lot of debate over this one or the last one done by Mountain Vally Games as to which one is better one. As the rules are the same, it is really a question aesthetics. (AND I am not trying to start a debate here.) I own both, and personally, I like AH version, but that is just me. Also MVG has done a APP version that you can play on your iOS device that is not to bad. I have not tried the other computer version.

So you might want to add a section about the publisher and version etc

Again, just so everyone knows who's game you are reviewing. And not trying to bust your chops...

McK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure every Titan player has his story of his 18-4 Titan running around naked trying to stave off the onslaught of minions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:

Hmm. Well if it doesn't, an average of 4 hrs per game and 500 plays is 2000 hours. That's about 250 days (give or take). At 2 days a week - that's 125 weeks or about 2 1/2 years of Titan. Pretty much non-stop.

I salute you, sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
No Leader Bashing: Again, the movement mechanics prevent players from actively ganging up against the leader. This is a huge plus, since there are countless other games like Chaos in the Old World

Leader bashing is pretty much the point behind CitOW. It's not the meta so much as the design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hills
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my gaming group have been playing Titan since the Avalon Hill version was released. We never nowadays take five hours to play it. The secret is for an outnumbered defender to concede a battle before it is fought, thus giving the attacker 50% fewer victory points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
"It's possible to drag on for more than 5 hours on a few occasions..."

A few occasions?

You sir are much a much faster Titan player than anyone I play with. (Not surprising after 500+ plays. )

I've played maybe 20 times face-to-face with 3-4 players and I have never had a game go even five hours. There are actually few real battles that occur, and the people I play with help each other calculate movement. I'd say that three hours is expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Both of your "bad" comments are why I never want to play this game with four or more. I think the sweet spot is somewhere between 2 and 3 players. Two and a half would be ideal, but it can be a challenge finding half a player.

Three players also alleviates the player elimination concern. There's still tension because you don't want to be eliminated. But your suffering only lasts until the very next elimination.

I need to play this again. It's been too long. I have it for my ipad, but I just can't get into it that way (or any ipad game, for that matter).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Stephen McCallum
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE Titan and have played the game for 20+ years. My biggest fault with the game is that I HATE teaching games. The games is not fun for me when playing versus beginners. It takes beginners a lot of plays to understand the flow of the game and memorize the recruiting trees. Beginners are more than capable of winning, but in general they are really really slow at playing the game.

When I meet new players that want to learn the game I direct them to the iOS app (amazing) or the java soulforge version (free).

Playing this game with experienced Titan players makes for a MUCH faster game, anywhere from 5 minutes~2 hours. Sure there is still downtime when two players are on a battleboard. That's when you bust out a quick 5-10 minute filler game. I remember when Magic the Gathering first came out it was our game group's game of choice for Titan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thegr8mirror wrote:
When I meet new players that want to learn the game I direct them to the iOS app (amazing) or the java soulforge version (free).

Although, even if you learn the mechanisms of the game from the iOS app, you're still going to play terribly, it's going to take a lot of games with real opponents before you can be competitive at all. More for some people than others, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review.

I love Titan but I do agree the player elimination and downtime between turns can put players off and is one of the main reasons I've steered away from playing face to face.

But the release of Titan on the iPad has drawn me back into the game in a big way and I'm loving it especially as asynchronous play eliminates the above issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with people who learned games such as Titan or Through the Ages by playing against AI or online is that they learn virtually nothing from these sources. I think all the automation and quick pace hamper their learning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
Speaking of books, I suppose that makes Eclipse the "Twilight" of board games! laugh
Get the pun?

That's no pun. That is just the utter truth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:

I should write a negative review about Eclipse. I have too much to say about that game.

I'd like to see that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
I used to be super-hyped about Eclipse, but as time went on, I couldn't help but to notice its major flaws.

There's definitely some truth in what you say.

I think Eclipse is a very good game in that it takes the 4X theme and condenses it into a 'Euro' boardgame that's playable in an acceptably lengthed session.

But it does need some tuning because as you say, some choices are no brainers and the tile draw can have a significant impact on the game.

But I guess that's for another thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Martin
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:
Robrob wrote:

Hmm. Well if it doesn't, an average of 4 hrs per game and 500 plays is 2000 hours. That's about 250 days (give or take). At 2 days a week - that's 125 weeks or about 2 1/2 years of Titan. Pretty much non-stop.

I salute you, sir!

HA HA, MATH My old enemy we meet again! I salute you sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Martin
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
What the heck is a "half-player"? Someone who's only responsible for giving out the recruits?

If your on this site then the chance are you've probably seen or read lord of the rings at some point. a half player is the same as a hobbit I think or a Halfling for my D20 friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
korxonthos wrote:
Well, here's what I meant about the pun:

A little tip for you, it's never funny if you have to explain it. Have a little faith in both your next pun and it's readers.

ps I've never seen the twilight series, I have never played eclipse but I still got it, I guess that gives more weight to your theory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.