Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
In writing up the English translations for the new Essen releases, I was struck by this game:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/22237

Called 'Hart an der Grenze', it's about smuggling stuff through customs.

Witness this old nugget from 1960:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3705

...which is about smuggling stuff through customs.

---

The evidence is in, the choice is yours: guilty or innocent?

pk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Now if they were smuggling Egyptian Chickens into an Italian Port city travelling via Train then I would consider a guilty verdict.

Looking at the descriptions they seem like different takes on a similar theme. As is, not guilty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"No one ever influenced Tolkien - you might as well try to influence a bandersnatch." -C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Contraband, and it plays a little different from the Hart an der Grenze description, so I'd say different games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
PatK wrote:
In writing up the English translations for the new Essen releases, I was struck by this game:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/22237

Called 'Hart an der Grenze', it's about smuggling stuff through customs.

Witness this old nugget from 1960:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3705

...which is about smuggling stuff through customs.

---

The evidence is in, the choice is yours: guilty or innocent?

pk

Wow, they do sound similar. Contraband is a great bluffing game, played a ton of it over the years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care if it's ripped off from somewhere else. It sounds like fun and I want it!

I WANT IT!

devildevildevilangryangry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I thought there was no plagiarism in game design, only "inspiration" (at least until someone runs off and gets a patent...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that thought this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:
I thought there was no plagiarism in game design, only "inspiration" (at least until someone runs off and gets a patent...)

Well, stealing mechanics may be covered by copyright, but let's not get into that bicker again. Up to the copyright holder to show that thwere was actual plagiarism, as oppsed to parallel evolution anyway, so weak protection. The actual theme I would have thought was outside the scope of IP law, but there is an interesting case regarding The DaVinci Code, which may shake everything up... I really hope the plaintiffs don't win. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4754308.stm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Chi
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope the plaintiffs do win, but that's only because I think dan brown and his book suck @$$.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mrraow wrote:
Well, stealing mechanics may be covered by copyright, but let's not get into that bicker again.

Under American law, there's nothing to bicker about, because it ain't covered.

mrraow wrote:

Up to the copyright holder to show that thwere was actual plagiarism, as oppsed to parallel evolution anyway, so weak protection.

No, this wouldn't apply either - given the time difference between the appearance of the original and the 2nd, parallel evolution would be a joke of a defense. Also, you don't have to prove plagiarism at all, merely infringement. At the trial of George Harrison for pulling ripoff of the Motown-styled "He's So Fine" as "My Sweet Lord", the judge admitted that in his opinion there was no intent on Harrison's part to steal from the original nor evidnence that vouchsafed Harrison had even heard the original...then ruled against Harrison to the tune of several hundred thousand dollars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I met Wolfgang Kramer last year, he told me that 6 Nimmt started out as a game about smuggling. The idea was to pass your hot goods onto the other players as they went through Customs. But he couldn't make it work and turned it into a game with numbers. Amigo added the hornochsen to give it some kind of theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pulles
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes me want to dig my copy of Smuggle out of the closet and bring it to our Thursday session. I haven't played this one in years.

One of our classic gaming moments was when Mitch declared "a Bottle of Cameras." I don't think that we quit laughing for five minutes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.