Subject: Scum & Villainy Wishlist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: I am posting this also on cardgamedb.com for input from a variety of play-groups.

So, EoD has been out for a bit now and it seems pretty much across the board that Smugglers are simply dominating. With new deck types like the Unblockables, many find themselves wanting just a bit more out of their no-good, seedy, double-crossing, space-gangsters.

I thought I would start a topic that gives us a place to express what YOU think is missing from the Scum & Villainy affiliation. I was just watching Return of the Jedi and all sorts of unit, enhancement and event ideas came into my mind.

The first thought I had was for a "better" Boba. I think it is pretty safe to say that many find his lack of board presence... disturbing. Would a "better" Boba Fett help give Scum the hero they need to take the lead in dominating the LS?

I also got to thinking about all those crazy little aliens in Jabba's palace and the cantina on Tatooine. I wonder if FFG plans to not follow the obvious path (creating big hitting mainstay characters that decks are built around) and instead create a flurry of colorful, flexible characters that come from those scummy places?

1. The Dianoga
2. B’omarr Monks
3. Mynocks
4. Dewbacks
5. Chevin
6. Bith
7. Ree Yees
8. Snaggletooth
9. Sand Skiffs

The list really goes on and on. As far as units are concerned, FFG would be hard pressed to run out of alien species that fit into the Scum category.

But the units themselves would not be enough. Scum, in my opinion, really need to dominate in the that's-not-how-this-game-is-played department. Cards like Reversal of Fate and the Corrupt Official is what this affiliation needs most.

We need cards that play way, way, outside of the box, forcing LS players to adapt to entirely different offensive and defensive styles. The Smugglers "when attacking alone" mechanic is fantastic as it makes cards that bounce cards back into your hand and pull them from engagements more valuable. Capturing is a powerful tool that the Scum seem to be leaning towards, but with against an offensive LS deck (and what LS deck is NOT offensive?), those cards rarely stay out of reach (unless you have been feeding them to the Sarlacc, but then you won't get those capture bonuses that so many of the Scum cards rely on. What we need is capture protection. We need events or units that serve to keep cards captured. We need card effects that trigger when a card is about to be rescued. Some examples:

1. When a card would be rescued, each opponent must deal 2 damage spread evenly among his objectives.

2. When a card would be rescued, capture a different random card from each opponent's hand, if able.

Or better yet, give the LS player a choice to make when a card is about to be rescued. Do I get to rescue the card and take the penalty, and if so, which one? Example:

3. An objective might read: When a card would be rescued, the LS player must choose one of the following: Deal 2 damage to a single unit, or discard the top 5 cards from their deck.

Give the LS a price to pay for getting back their captured cards. As it is now, the LS, especially Smugglers, can usually manage to destroy an objective in one engagement, if planned properly. What good is capturing all those cards if there is no capture protection??

Of course another thing that the Scum need is Character/Creature/Droid Protection. Yeah, I know, the DS needs that in general, but I think that with as unit centric as Scum will likely become, they may need it a bit more than even the Sith or Imperials need it. Would Character Protection change the game for Scum or the DS in general?

Well those are my initial thoughts.

What do YOU think? Is there a card (unit, event, or enhancement) that you want to see? How might it bring balance to the game? What are your thoughts on how Scum can become better fleshed out as more expansions are released for the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Wilkins
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nicely written post. I'm still playing around with Scum myself and haven't played too many games with them yet.

I'd argue that protecting captured cards is really the same thing as protecting your objectives. Jabba's Reach with Jabba's Palace adding +1 health to objectives and Weequay Elite x2 makes for some nice buffering. Corrupt Official is just plain sick. Also, Jundland Wastes objective is a pretty slick way to slow down your opponent's attackers. It is a risky play with only 4 health, but if it comes out after the first objective or two fall you can be in a better position to keep it from getting knocked out.

I think a new fate card for Scum could spice things up. Something along the lines of:
"Discard a captured card during this edge battle and add it's force icons to your edge total."

Or possibly an objective that read:
"Reaction: After winning an edge battle, you may capture one card from your opponent's edge stack."

A Salacious Crumb character/enhancement for Jabba or his Sail Barge (kinda like pilot enhancements):
"Action: You may move a focus token from the enhanced card to this card."

A character protection unit for Scum would be awesome. Besides boosting Boba Fett's usefulness, the biggest benefit I see with this is playing Spice Visions on your heavy hitter and instead damage the meat shield with Character Protect. That way you can play an all Scum deck without having to splash in Palpatine for his Royal Guards, and you can keep the Scum affiliation card which is necessary for your big resource pods: Feeding the Pit and Lucrative Contract.

I don't think Scum are as bad as some people posting are making them out to be. They are unconventional and a little swingy, but not bad. I think Smugglers are consistently better overall, but I'm hoping the upcoming Bounty Hunters will help shake things up. Dengar will be in the Escape from Hoth force pack release in September and I could only see he had two blasters. There better be a great special ability on his card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a little disappointed that 4-LOM, Dengar, and IG-88 didn't make the cut for the EoD expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mpappy wrote:
I was a little disappointed that 4-LOM, Dengar, and IG-88 didn't make the cut for the EoD expansion.
Dengar's supposedly coming in the next Hoth pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Mcpherson
United States
Sand Springs
Ok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great post.

As you point out S&S seem to be becoming a solid tier 1-2 contender, and S&V seems to rarely get all the pieces it needs at the right time, and when they do, the wheels fall off with the slightest nudge.

As an Amateur game designer, I think they actually need a near complete redesign. The capture mechanic is both flimsy and can be very dangerous if it becomes over powered. If I can capture everyone you play every turn, it won't matter that you can get them back by destroying a objective since you lack the troops, so reusable capture effects can get out of hand.

So FFG limited capture effects to one ofs and 1 character with capture "on a stick". (I am referring to game state capture effects, not capturing off the top of the deck or hand)

This is probably a good thing, because it didn't create a hostile character investment environment. Go ahead and slap that Luke/Yoda/Han down. Feel free to slap 1 or more enhancements on them, as long as you can keep them alive.

We may see some push for stronger Capture on board effects in future sets, which would increase S&V stock imho, but the current Capture cards are probably safe bets.

Capture works on a thematic level though. Bounty Hunters capture people and items, and often its the heros goal to get them back. It makes great sense in the game thematically, but as a game design element it can be a slippery slope.

Targeted removal that is non damaged based is powerful. Damaged based removal is strong but is limited in its ability to only remove targets with health low enough to be effected. This constraint is easier for a game designer to build around. Force choke is the most efficient removal? Ok then higher HP characters have a natural resiliency to it. It also only works on creatures and characters with is also a nice functional limitation. Force lightening only works on exhausted units and cost 3. Those allow players to play around force lightening if at all possible. They are Fair.

Beyond finding the correct power level for capture effects, the other key is making S&V feel both Scummy and Villainous. Remember that making a game fun means that both players feel involved and enjoyment even though the S&V player is doing "unfair" things. Corrupt Official is a favorite, non capture based, S&V card. It feels unfair, but it is evocative and allows players to make more involved choices as to the potential out come of engagements. When I play against a S&V player and make the attack that could win me the game but I hedged send in enough damage to to just take the objective out, I feel good about not sending too many units in and getting blown out by and untimely Official.

I look forward to more Black sun and Jabba cards to see what direction they end up taking S&V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Emme
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mpappy wrote:

And Zuckuss!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.