United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
Bottom Line:
Got enough money for one or the other right now.
Gaming group looks to me for purchase of next game.

I like the Medium to Medium Heavy games and the normal rotation in my group is Puerto Rico, Maharaja: Palace Building, Age of Steam, Princes of Florence, Traders of Genoa, Amun Re, etc.

Really like the Euro games and the next game for me to buy comes down to either Power Grid or Caylus as my next acquisition.
Want something a little different.

Looking for something that really has legs and will be fun years down the road as well as right now. But, both games are so highly recommended.

Last point, I end up being the guy that reads the rules and explains how to play to the other members of the gaming group.

So, which is the best for my next game.
Caylus or Power Grid?
And before you say both.... I can really only afford to get one.
Take it away.

McGuit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Jarvis
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of Quiet out there, anyone, anyone? snore

Okay lets see if I can get this started. I say POWER GRID.

Not good enough, hum?
How about this: Caylus sucks, its just a bunch of hype and no one really likes it!!?!

Waiting, Waiting, no bytes yet.

In all seriousness, I can only say that you would love Power Grid. It is one of my favorites and it has everything that you could want, plus it is a bit different than those you have listed above.
As for Caylus, I cannot comment. I have yet to play it, though it is on the top of my shopping list this year as well. I really think that it has a lot to promise and will fulfill. So if you get Caylus, let me know what you think, cause I'm banking on it being a hit.
I hope to see more activity here, since I would like to see these two put head to head as well (I have yet to see these compared and contrasted).
Good Luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what you're saying I'd probably go with power grid. The game is different everytime because of the way the power plants come into the game. Caylus has the ablity to get the same group stuck in "the best move" groupthink. Then there's the fact that there's currently 4 different maps available to play on (and some fan map). The other things I can't quite put my finger on, but Power Grid seems the least like the other games you mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Age of Steam expansion maps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bring your game group to my house. I'll let you play Power Grid and Caylus, and then you can decide which to buy. Your group sounds wonderful to me. You've got some of my most-loved games in your regular rotation. I see you live in Indianapolis. We should get together at GenCon. If you're ever in Iowa you're welcome to visit and play games.

To get back on topic...

You'll be happy with either one, but based on your list of currently-liked games, I suspect Power Grid would be a very big hit for your group. It has more variability and can be played more often in heavy rotation because of it. It comes with two maps and each game a region is put out-of-bounds, which means there's a lot of different map configurations. You can also buy the Italy/France expansion, and there's a free modular map system available for download and home printing on the web. Power Grid is my recommendation.

They're both great games and you'll be happy with whichever one you get.

p.s. get Mario Lanza's excellent Power Grid rules re-write (changed only to make the rules more clear and easier to use) at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=15841

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
You bet I will see you all at Gen Con.
One of the great things about living in Indianapolis.
Well... That and the Colts

So, it looks like Power Grid so far.

Will keep checking back to see if there is more feedback.

As to our group rotation, anyone that finds themselves in Indy and looking for some good Euro gaming drop me a line.
You are always welcome.

McGuit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a game where the outcome is always very close because the main mechanism of the game prevents anyone from getting a large lead and helps anyone who is falling behind, so the game is often decided by a tiebreaker, then go with Power Grid. If you want a game that is really interesting, provides a lot of choices, affords many possible strategies, and is very fun, then go with Caylus.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give a different opinion: get Caylus.

Of course, Caylus is currently unavailable for another month or so which could sway your decision.

My main complaint about Power Grid, which could be considered controversial, is that it is too luck driven for the amount of time it takes to play. In my opinion, there is about as much luck in Power Grid as in Settlers or Ra, but it takes much longer to play.

On the outset, it doesn't seem like there is that much luck in Power Grid because there are all these calculations and planning that is necessary to play the game. However, I believe that those are secondary to winning the game. The key to winning is if you get lucky and get the good (permanent) Power Plants. If there is a good power plant in the auction and a great power plant in the queue, that's where the luck factor comes in. Do you bid high and risk that the great power plant goes comes up, or do you pass and risk that an awful power plant is drawn. To me, this type of decision determines the game, and happens two or three times a game.

Also my group tends to be slow and a game of Power Grid can lasts up to 3 hours.

That said, I think Power Grid is a good game. If it can be played in 45 minutes (like Ra or Settlers) I would give it a 9 or 10. But at 3-4 times the length, it only rates a 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Reist
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's a tough one, to be sure. I've recently been playing both, and the bottom line is that you and your group will be happy no matter which one you get, I'm almost sure of it.

Qualitatively, they're somewhat similar games. They're both very strategic, to the point where people can suffer some serious "analysis paralysis" if someone doesn't kick them. Power Grid has a degree of luck involved, but not a very large one, whereas Caylus basically has no luck whatsoever. Power Grid is more accessible and easier to grasp, whereas Caylus is a little overwhelming at first with the sheer number of options on what to do with your turns, until you can grok the strategy.

I could go on, but I think my general feeling between the two is that Power Grid is slightly lighter, slightly more "fun", better theme, and all that jazz, whereas Caylus is a little more "hardcore". They're both around the same level as something like Puerto Rico or Princes of Florence.

Go with Power Grid for now, if only because the next printing of Caylus probably won't be available until April.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid over Caylus? Blasphemy! zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Kouba
United States
Franklin
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get Caylus but...

you can play both at brettspielwelt.de

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Webb
United States
Whitesburg
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I was never actually comparing them, I did just buy Power Grid from my FLGS and pre-ordered Caylus from Game Surplus (my FIGS) a day later. So, join me--get both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McGuit wrote:
I like the Medium to Medium Heavy games and the normal rotation in my group is Puerto Rico, Maharaja: Palace Building, ... Princes of Florence, ..., Amun Re, etc.

Hey, that's our group!

Go for Caylus; as it will probably be a hit with everyone. Power Grid is a great game, but in our group not everyone likes it. Everyone does like Caylus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In your description the first issue was heavyness. BGG says about it:
Caylus 3.71
Power Grid 3.41

My 2 cents:
Power Grid is overrated in terms of heavyness. It is clearly perceptible lighter than Caylus (or Age of Steam etc.) I know what I'm talkin' 'bout, I've played both. Nevertheless Power Grid is a nice game. But according to the heavyness of games your group already plays and you are looking for something similar, the game chosen should be Caylus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine eventually I will have to break down and get both for the group based on them both being such great games.

Find it interesting that the community here is so split on which one would be best to go for next.

Looks like I'm going to go with Power Grid now and wait for the
re-issue of Caylus and save my coppers for that one next.

So, in the end, in spite of my best efforts, it looks like I really could not get out of here with just one.

Thank you for all your help on this and to each of you, great gaming and good times in the future.

McGuit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good work boys, more money to the games companiesrobot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Al Williams
United States
Holyoke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You almost can't make a mistake.
These are both exceptional games.
Neither is immensely heavy, and neither really involves an aprreciable luck factor.

I would recommend Power Grid as the betyter game, and both are clearly quite better in terms of both strategic depth and fun factor than Puerto Rico.

You win either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.