Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Nick
Canada
TORONTO
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Kirkland stayed behind after an evening of pussy-gaming German-gaming, and we decided to break out my unplayed copy of Platoon. I had read the rules earlier in the day, all two pages worth, and after punching the game and quickly explaining the game to Kevin, a non-wargamer, we set up suggested starter scenario, Firefight Three: "Protect The Flank".

I had read where the Americans seem to have an edge in this game, so I took the NVA, and Kevin the Americans.

We played twice, and both times the result was pretty much identical. The object of the scenario was somewhat similar to that of one of Alan Yngve's introductory Tactical Training Series scenarios for Squad Leader, Alpha One: Forced March, except this time, the NVA had to rush across the board and try to exit as many soldiers as they could, with the Americans blocking the way with a numerically inferior force.

The Americans get to perform a "bonus" action at the start. Kevin chose to bring in an air strike, naturally. After three consecutive, mostly successful strikes in a row (although one of the targets was a decoy ... ), I finally got to string a couple of actions together. It was pretty much all I needed. I had set up a fire group in the Jungle with two machine guns and a leader. The leader allowed all the soldiers to fire, and I managed to shoot up Kevin's entire squad.

We played a second time, this time picking sides randomly, and ending up with the same results (one of Kevin's airstrikes did miss, and I was able to direct it at one of his units, which was sweet ... ). Both times, we didn't even get past the first of the three possible turns alloted. Neither one of us moved much (The Americans not at all ... ), even though for the second try I had set up a manoeuvre group on the jungle path, just in case my main force got shot up, and I needed to perform a flanking manoeuvre.

I'd like to try other scenarios, in the hopes that the action might pick up to close to the level of a Squad Leader scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
We just played this scenario for the first time ourselves, with the NVA earning 3 pts through attrition each of the two playings.

One thing you may not be aware of is that there is no fire support available for either player in this scenario. I don't know if it would have changed the course of your game(s), but it might have changed the way you played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Townsend
Italy
Roma
Lazio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this too, I as the NVA. Non-Geek chum as the Americans.
The Yanks chose 'no action' as first action so as not to give away anything from their set up. I got three chits in a row and exited 2 men off the board, then he shot up my fakes while my machine gunner shot up one of his.
Turn 2 and again I got 3 consecutive chit draws with which my MG pinned all in all but one of his hexes, This group of 2 eliminated one more of my men.
Turn 3. AGAIN the chit drawing was loaded to me mostly at start then him finishing off. I could have risked trying to run one more man off but would still not have gained enough points so I set my MG too again instead and hoped to eliminate enough of his men. Only pinned a load. He popped away ineffectually at me for a bit and then it ended.

I scored only 2 points for the exited fellows. I eliminated all 4 of his fakes and none of his real guys. He claimed a victory but said it felt disappointing as he did very little for it.
He did say he would like to try one of the large scenarios, as the full scale scrapping would be more fun. I can't wait - a full on assault against his bunkers at 3 to 1 odds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.