Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Castell
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Going through a first read and having trouble with the op-fire examples.
Rules state you can't shoot twice into the same hex but show an example where the yellow shooter is in hex 1, and x moves out to hex 2 so he can be shot, but then it shows z moving from hex 3 into hex 2 and being shot as well. How does that work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Didn't know what to search.
The example is demonstrating that neither X leaving the shooter's space nor Z entering his space prevents the shooter from taking "the shot". It does not intend to mean that he can take two shots in the one space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Aikens
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan, if there were two different shooters in Hex 1, then they each could target one of the characters as they enter Hex 2. They could even target the same character in that hex. The rules about "can't target same character, can't target same hex" only apply to each weapon used in OpFire. (Each shooter would have to be holding his own Ranged weapon card and would need to have the ability to use it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castell
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Then the example above is confusing that shows x and z moving from 3 to 1. In that example it states you can't shoot at both and have to pick one or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castell
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Here is a scan of that part of the rules. What is the difference between the two examples. Don't forget, these are presented as 1 shooter (yellow).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrack wrote:

Here is a scan of that part of the rules. What is the difference between the two examples. Don't forget, these are presented as 1 shooter (yellow).

It's just a poorly written example, the text should read "Either X or Z are safe", and then go on to explain how because X leaves C's hex it allows him to do op-fire. I had some problem with that very example at first until I remembered that you can't op-fire if there is someone in your hex.

Some of the rules and examples you have to reason out by context with what they are trying to demonstrate. I'm used to it from PnP RPGs because those rarely, if ever, have any kind of near encompassing examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castell
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So if Z moved first, yellow couldn't fire as X is still in the hex, correct?
If X moves, you could shoot him, then if Z moved you wouldn't be able to as you had already shot into that hex?
Correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Aikens
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Movement happens simultaneously. No one character moves "first". They all move at the same time.

Your character could choose to shoot at either one (A or Z) in your OpFire phase, but that character can only target any one hex one time, and it can only target an opposing character one time. If your OpFire weapon allowed for a second shot, you could target the other opposing character IF you targeted him in a different hex. In this case, though, that is not an option; each character moved only one hex, and it was into the same hex. Your character cannot target the same hex twice.

Another one of your characters could choose to take his OpFire at that same hex, and at that same moving character (A), or the other moving character (Z). Different shooter, different weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castell
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But Z moves 2 hexes. First into 2, then into 1. So the example states, and the wording makes it confusing. It says Z does not prevent the shot by moving into mr yellows space, not space 2. If the example is wrong, why is it repeated in the larger manual?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Alan, I may not understand you clearly. Are you suggesting that there is a "time"(*) where yellow is alone in his space when both X and Z are in space 2?

If so, this is not quite how OpFire blocking works. The rule is that a shooter cannot OpFire if a character is in his space and stays there for the entire move phase.

The second example is purely intended to show the reverse of that rule and that a shooter is not blocked from shooting even if one character moves out of his space and another moves straight in.

If you look at it from this perspective then the example is not really wrong. Of course as discussed above there is an inconsistency with the diagrams when shown side-by-side and with the unclear wording of the text. It should be more clear that only one of X or Z can be targeted.

(*) Time does not really work like this in DoA, it is a little bit, uh flexible. For example you can have situations where a character in the second hex of their move gets OpFired with an area attack weapon along with another character at the final hex of their move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castell
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am working through the rules and perhaps that is why I am having issues understanding. Very experienced gamer but new to this system.
I see what you mean now.
Will get a few games under my belt and I am sure a lot more will click.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thompson
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps re-title this thread to "OpFire Example Clarification" or similar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castell
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Was looking on how to do that. I agree. Changed it.

So reading more of the rules, I am still trying to grasp that example.

So if it is White teams move, and white has X and Z as remaining characters, and Mr. Yellow is with team black.

Whites turn, and at the movement phase, they do what the diagram shows. X moves to space 2, and Z moves to where Mr. Yellow is.

Op fire is right after that, so Mr Yellow can EITHER fire at X in space 2, OR Z in space 2, but not take 2 shots and shoot them both...correct?

What confuses me is the wording, as well as the example above basically being the same thing, with the exception of X and Z moving from 3 to 1.

Why would the confusing example also say "Either"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.