Brian Fung
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hello All,

I'm interested in purchasing one of the Ben Hull's "Musket & Pike Battles series" from GMT. I never played one of his games before but I'm very interested in the 30YW. Which game do you guys recommend to start off with?

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooky
United States
Canton
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Musket & Pike Battles series --> Which one for a beginne
I would kind of like to know this myself. I would like to eventually pick up all 3 games in the series, and hopefully find some others as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a beginner as well, but I'd say Under the Lilly Banners, because it has the latest series rules and charts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Musket & Pike Battles series --> Which one for a beginne
Have only played (solo) This Accursed Civil War. Nicely done, but can't compare it to the others.

Also note that the designer has a new game in the series, Gustav Adolph the Great, on the GMT preorder list, as well as a new non-series game, Great Campaigns of the 30 Years War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all the games in the series, but have only played a few times, and not within the last year. soblue That said, all the games seem to have scenarios that are good introductions. This Accursed Civil War has Edgehill, that's a not-to-big and nicely balanced battle with not too much terrain. Sweden Fights On has an opening skirmish for the battle of... Nördlingen, I think? It's small and also was good as an intro, though IIRC it favors Sweden (it may have just been our play, though). Under the Lily Banners has the battle of Mergentheim which is listed as a small battle and good to learn the system with.

I suppose that's a long way of saying that you can probably go with any of them, depending on which one suits your fancy. As the living rules are online, you can get one of the earlier ones but still get the latest rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dow Jones
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
I have just started this series of Games. Like one poster said ULB has the 3.0 rules. But those are also a free download from GMT site. Anygame in the series fine to start with. Which interests you more The English civil war in TACW or the Swedes and French in SFO or ULB?

the game is intuitive and easy to learn it solo's well. I got my game on Wed and by Wed night I was playing Edge Hill. even llearning the rules in this first game it took two hours to finish the game.

Each game in the series has a small senario which is good for a learning session. Great replay value also

DJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.