Mark Jones
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in gauging player interest in the board game world of this scale and period. I am about one-half way through the game design and a designer on map boards and counters. If there is interest I will publish additonal counters and map boards. What says you all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing this would cover more irregular battles rather than set-pieces like the Battle of Quebec or the various Sieges, right? Are you thinking of simulating small raids and producing something like SPI's "Sniper", but for the 1750s? [Heck, I no longer have time for them, but I would think there might be room for a F&IW role-playing game with man-to-man combat playing a central part.]

Also, wasn't there a computer RPG about the period with man-to-man combat? "Fields of Fire: War Along the Mohawk" As I remember, good concept, bad game. Maybe something like that would work better as a RPG?

Just thinking out loud here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jones
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I am looking at smaller actions with everything from a ranger v. indians or (native americans, if you prefer) and Brits, highlanders, pioneers etc. vs. raids. Maybe as many as 15 indians vs. settlers, I am rather far along on the design and have about a dozen map boards that are 8.5x 11 ish. Think of the old Cry Havoc type combat with graphic large counters and the potential for add-ons.

I did buy the pc game of guns of war along the mohawk or some such name. It had some interesting play to it but I thought that it was more abstract. There are few of these kind of games. Although this is the anniversary year (past) of Braddock's defeat.

thanks for your input, any other thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hatmaker
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in what the game mechanics are like, scale, terrain, whether or not historic persons are used, special skills, etc. Please keep me informed regarding your progress.

powwowdancer out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jones
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without too much information on the design each counter has fire, melee and points and each warrior or colonist etc. may have special skills, tracking, spotting etc. and special skills individually. It will have sufficient flexibility to have historical figures and role playing has been suggested by those who wish to tie the individual scenerios together to keep their "player" alive for more than one raid. There are rules for spotting and other skills including morale and formation. suprise and of course, leaderhsip. M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jones
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way I own a strategic game on the french and indian war called Mohawk which is a fun game (now out of print). Units are indvidual tribes (500)warriors approx. With the 6 nations and other with more warriors. Their are Cour de Bois and Rangers as well as Militia, Regiments for France and England. It is a very fun game with lots of potential, and abstract supply concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally like games with small, tactical units. Sounds interesting from the that point of view. Would have to see more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
sounds interesting although i would like to hear more about the battle mechanics. dice rolling? terrtain advantages? leaders on combat? how will it work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jones
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morale and leadership in man to man combat in that era was critical. Braddock's defeat as an example. Terrain, range, smoke and movement are all factors in a fire and melee type of environment. The presence of leaders, chiefs or a hero will effect the fighting ability and morale. formation will assist some troops, (regulars in volley formation, in open ground for example). Both ten, 20 side die rolls will be used along with appropriate charts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
sounds like epic. good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several man-to-man miniatures rule sets which cover this period. Since there is demand for those rules in the miniatures community, I would think you'd find a market among boardgamers as well. Worthington Games is developing a man-to-man Old West era game; the eastern frontier would also be interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested?...You betcha! Think "Roger's Rangers". Read NORTHWEST PASSAGE (ulp..big book...watch the old 1939 movie instead...one of the most underated films ever...Spencer Tracy, Robt. Young, Walter Brennan). I would think that the most overwhelming factor in such a game would be the wilderness itself. So vast and so dangerous.
Lotsa stuff on the web about the rangers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jones
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen their series on America that includes the F&I war and Revolution and the War of 1812 as well. I saw the promo on their web site of the Old West game does look like a great idea.

I have seen the feather and flintlock and the Sword and the flame variants, anything in particular you have in mind besides them? thanks, Mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jones
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that movie and have seen it numerous times as own it too. The Joseph Altsheler series on the French and Indian war is also outstanding if alittle dated by some of the views. The Hunters of the Hills, Rulers of the Lake etc. Have you read them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Michael
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who are these "Roger's Rangers" guys?
Oh yeah...now I remember. They are those fellows that consistently get bested by Langy.
Of course I'm completely objective as when I'm not gaming on weekends I'm shooting my musket at Redcoats and Rangers.
Before this starts any flames let me just say I have the highest regard for Rogers himself - quite an individual- and for my worthy opponents on the re-enactment field.
I look forward to seeing this game. Good luck with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quotes from the movie..

Langdon Towne: "Rangers? I've heard of you. You fight indians, mostly."
Sgt. McNutt (boastfully); "Why....we do everything, mostly."

and later...

Sgt. McNutt; "Why, the smartest indian alive , can't think half as much like an indian as Major Rogers."

(marching through a swamp)
Towne; "The mosquitos don't seem to be botherin' you."
Hunk Mariner; "Rancid bear grease!! They hate the stink worse than I do. Here..."
Towme; (sniffs the balm); "No thanks! I'll take the mosquitos."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And PBS has a great 4-part new series on the war called "The War that Made America" which is based upon "Crucible of War" (for those of you who couldn't face an 800-page tome on the conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot about "Unconquered" good flick. Another obvious movie would be "Last of the Mohicans" (about a half dozen versions, but the last one was easily the best). Then there is John Ford's "Drums Along the Mohawk" (sure it's set during the revolution, but still gives a period feel of fighting between settlers and indians).
Also, I've seen on DVD the old syndicated series "Hawkeye", loosly based upon the James Fennimore Cooper character, and the short lived TV series "Northwest Passage" from about 1959. Both are available at NINA'S DISCOUNT OLDIES (just google it) at about 5 bucks a pop, but if you keep your eyes open, you may find them at the dollar store (as I did)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jones
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Drums along the Mohawk and the Daniel dey-lewis version also. I also have the old Deer Slayer and the new redo of it about 15 years ago. As you can tell I am a real freak for this era. I will check out those series. thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.