Twilight Struggle» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Wargames question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wojciech Pietrzak
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi!

Suppose you have Wargames on Turn 8 and you are unable to hold this card until Turn 9 (for whatever reason). The chances that you will be able to win by Wargames during this turn are very small or even null but you are suddenly given chance to play Wargames and end game with a draw.

What would be the most important factors for you while deciding whether to go for a Wargames draw or to push for a win?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you count the scoring cards, you should know what scoring cards my show up on T9 and T10. If those scoring cards will put you in good position and on track to the eventual win, don't play it.

SALT Negotiations and Star Wars both allow for cards to be fished out of the discard pile. SALT works for both, SW just for USA

If you are dominated in 4 areas and share presence in two, play it and draw the game.

But quick view of the board should give you a calculation of the end scoring and show you if your 6VP lead is real or imaginary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
4 ops doesn't increase your chances of winning?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojciech Pietrzak
msg tools
mbmbmb
Say it's fifty-fifty on a quite tense board, where all the remaining scorings are about tied now but may turn into either side's domination pretty quickly.

And say I'm USSR so I'm the one to lead by a few VPs now but my opponent has the "hammer" (for those who watch curling), particularly the very last game move (for those who don't), which can nullify my advantage (I used to estimate the US privilege of the last play as 4.5 VPs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DominiGeek
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
D.N.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
4 ops doesn't increase your chances of winning?

I suppose it would most definitively help a lot, but would it guarantee it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pietshaq wrote:
Say it's fifty-fifty on a quite tense board, where all the remaining scorings are about tied now but may turn into either side's domination pretty quickly.

And say I'm USSR so I'm the one to lead by a few VPs now but my opponent has the "hammer" (for those who watch curling), particularly the very last game move (for those who don't), which can nullify my advantage (I used to estimate the US privilege of the last play as 4.5 VPs).

It also depends if Chernobyl came out. That can kill USSR fast.

In case you described above it's really personal preference, there is no firm answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.